Community Forum

Can't open Email

Regular Contributor

Re: Can't open Email

Sure using Lite version works but then you have three browers open and have to log out twice and moving things to folders is different as well. We should NOT have to be using the lite version and Comcast NEEDS to fix this as it is their problem.

Regular Contributor

Well I did that and it still does not work so must be Comcast and NOT Mircrosoft.

Gold Problem Solver

@cregor wrote:

Sure using Lite version works but then you have three browers open and have to log out twice and moving things to folders is different as well. We should NOT have to be using the lite version and Comcast NEEDS to fix this as it is their problem.

Why would using Lite require you to have three browsers open? 

Here is a link to the differences between Full and Lite.  Note that each is on a different email platforum.  Lite uses HTML.

XfinityConnect Team is, and has been working on fixes. 

CC

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/xfinity-connect-lite/

Regular Contributor

You tell me. I don't open them but to get to email there are open and when I log out I have to close all three. I have talked to Comcast before about this and even showed them when they were out to my house and they just told me that's how it workss and not to worry about it.  I really do believe this is ALL Comcast fault and NOT ours or Microsoft.

Regular Contributor

Also, you will NOT need to use 3 browsers to access your email. IE 9 or IE 10 should work fine.. Please send me a personal message with your contact information, so that we can discuss this,.

Thank you,
Sharath
Comcast Silicon Valley
Regular Visitor

i changed from explorer 8 to chrome and the problem with scripts seemed to go away...

Regular Contributor

Sure you can but you didn't tell me how to connect you other then this way. I was using Internet Explorer 9 just fine and all of sudden it quit working so I tired version 10 and still not working and I have done everything you have said and yes when I get into email I have always ended up with two browers open and but now there are three open.

Frequent Visitor

how about the rest of us?  How do we contact someone that can actually HELP? I spoke to people and was told "we are aware of the issue" and "they are working on it". I had to get a used computer from a computer place just to open my email....and since i'm looking for a job too-HAD to get one just for this.  NOW I need to use my own computer, not the used one, as it is faster and I need to give the used one to someone else. I NEED MY EMAIL TO WORK!   Please fix this! 

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Can't open Email [ New ]
Options
‎05-03-2013 07:56 PM

Sure you can but you didn't tell me how to connect you other then this way. I was using Internet Explorer 9 just fine and all of sudden it quit working so I tired version 10 and still not working and I have done everything you have said and yes when I get into email I have always ended up with two browers open and but now there are three open.

How to send a Private Message (PM)

Private Messages (PM’s)

At the top of each Forum page you will see a small white envelope

This is the icon for Private Messages, referred to as ‘PM’s’. A Private Message is a way to communicate in private, to another User, Moderator, or Administrator out of public view in the Forums.

The white envelope turns to yellow when you receive a PM.

To open a PM to read it, double click on the yellow envelope. If you click on the white envelope a window will open with tabs for your Private Message Inbox, Sent Messages, Friends, Ignored Users, and Compose new Message. You can also access this area by clicking on the Username in a Thread or post. By default, Private Messages are enabled. You can disable this feature in My Settings>Preferences> Private Messenger.

Gold Problem Solver

Dot leach,

Have you tried all the suggestions listed already?

If you have, post the answers to all of those listed under
IF THIS DOES NOT ALLOW YOU INTO YOUR INBOX, REPLY WITH THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION:

If you are unable to open email in XfinityConnect, please try this:

Clear your browser cache of temporary internet files and cookies.
Directions for each browser can be found in this clickable link:
http://www.wikihow.com/Clear-Your-Browser%27s-Cache

Also, certain browser Add-ons causes issues with Xfinity Connect. Check this link on how to disable the add-ons:
http://forums.comcast.com/t5/E-Mail-and-Xfinity-Connect-Help/ZIMLET-SEARCH-ERROR-ISSUE/td-p/1402019

Windows Updates released Internet Explorer Version 10 recently.

Microsoft has added Comcast.net as one of the domains for Compatibility view, so IE10 should automatically switch to Compatibility mode when using the Xfinity website.
If you still cannot access your email, and have updated to Version 10 to use as your browser:
Make sure to Compatibility View in IE Ver. 10 under Tools is enabled.

IF THIS DOES NOT ALLOW YOU INTO YOUR INBOX, REPLY WITH THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION:

Which browser/version do you use?
Which version of XfinityConnect are you using? (To check: Open XfinityConnect, click on Preferences, and then click on General. A window will open showing you which version is checked)
Have you tried accessing your email with a different browser; such as Firefox or Chrome?
Do you also use an email client? Which one/version?

Post back with all the answers

Thank you!
Ken Tran
Comcast Silicon Valley
Regular Contributor

Well I have looked and there is no enevlopes of any color at the top of the forum page for me to send you a private message. I also agree with dottech; what about everyone else that's having the same problems?  When I call Comcast I just get told it's NOT Comcast problem but WE all know it is and that Comcast NEEDS to fix this. We pay for a service we are NOT getting.

Gold Problem Solver

ebv.JPG

See the white envelope in my screenshot above?  It is in the same place on every page.  I can't imagine why you don't see it.

Another way to send a PM is to click on the username on the left side of the post (in red text) (ComcaastShareth) and a window will open like this one.  Click on Send this user a private message. ( blue link)

env 2.JPG

Contributor

Jordan -

48 hours later. No one has gotten back to me.... What's the Comcast definition of "shortly"?
Contributor

Sorry. I did get a PM response within 2 hours of Jordan's original message...
Gold Problem Solver

@kjk93940 wrote:
Sorry. I did get a PM response within 2 hours of Jordan's original message...

Thank you for letting us know. Smiley Wink

CC

Regular Contributor

Yes the envelope is there this time but when clicking on it nothing happens. So I clicked on send this user a private message and again nothing happens. Therefore I can not send you a private message and this is messed up as well as email. What a joke Comcast is becoming.

New Poster

Re: connection

Can't connect to email or preferences  blue dot going around

Gold Problem Solver

@marienag wrote:

Can't connect to email or preferences  blue dot going around

Did you read the fIRST post in this same thread and do all that is suggested there?  Here it is.

If you are unable to open email in XfinityConnect, please try this:

Clear your browser cache of temporary internet files and cookies.

Directions for each browser can be found in this clickable link:

http://www.wikihow.com/Clear-Your-Browser%27s-Cache

Also, certain browser Add-ons causes issues with Xfinity Connect.  Check this link on how to disable the add-ons:

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/E-Mail-and-Xfinity-Connect-Help/ZIMLET-SEARCH-ERROR-ISSUE/td-p/1402019

Windows Updates released Internet Explorer Version 10 recently.

Microsoft has added Comcast.net as one of the domains for Compatibility view, so IE10 should automatically switch to Compatibility mode when using the Xfinity website.

If you still cannot access your email, and have updated to Version 10 to use as your browser:

Make sure to Compatibility View in IE Ver. 10 under Tools is enabled.

Which version of XfinityConnect are you using?  (To check: Open XfinityConnect, click on Preferences, and then click on General.  A window will open showing you which version is checked)

Have you tried accessing your email with a different browser; such as Firefox or Chrome?

Do you also use an email client?  Which one/version?

Post back with all the answers

Thank you!

Ken Tran
Comcast Silicon Valley
New Poster

So not a cookie or cache problem. I don't see any comcast techs answering the can't open email issues. I see everyone going around the problem, but i don't see a solution. Where is comcast assistance? No one working on this? If you were getting your emails earlier, something is now blocking it. I spent an hour trying to clear, uninstall and update. If you can get your email on google ,(from comcast) it's a problem with comcast. Can we reinstall it to fix the problem? Maybe something stopped running.
Gold Problem Solver

The XfinityConnect Team have been working on fixes for quite a while.  When there is an update, ComcastKen will post.

The FIRST POST in this clickable link contains all the suggestions the Team has suggested.

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/E-Mail-and-Xfinity-Connect-Help/Can-t-open-Email/td-p/1578483

Have you tried all the suggestions listed?  If you have, post back with the following:

Which version of XfinityConnect do you use?

Open XfinityConnect, click on Preferences, and then click on General.  A window will open showing you which version is checked. 

Have you tried switching to Lite if using Full?  You can try this link to get into Lite as well.

http://sz0096.ev.mail.comcast.net/zimbra/h/search

If you can get in using Lite, change it by clicking on Edit when you go to the General tab.

Which browser and version are you using?  Have you tried a different browser?  Results?

CC

Frequent Visitor

It must have something to do with the individual server used to provide internet connection.   When I use my portable at work through our work server I have problems, see previous posts.   When I take my machjine home and connect through my wifi which connects to Xfinity (my provider) I have no problem.   It is very fast.   When I connect to my company VPN through the exact same wifi, I have all the same problems.   VPN off -no problem   VPN on- I can't go anywhere from preview screen, not even preferences so forget changing between modes. 

Other people report the same where I work.   At home vpn off OK, vpn on no good.   The problem must then be internet provider compatibility because, in my case, the internet is provided by the corporate server with vpn on and Xfinity with VPN off.   Start checking ZIMBRA for an anomoly in server compatibility please.

Regular Visitor

Bopper 12 you know they are not going
to do this. If you see all of their posts. All a Comcast email expert seems to know how to do is copy and paste the same reply. 200+ posts and not 1solution to the problem. Comcast is not going to admit it is their problem or that they are charging customers for a defective product and continue to charge for it.
Frequent Visitor

when i couldn't open my comcast mail i tried safari and google chrome and had no problem so i went back to microsoft internet explorer 10 and clicked on the icon that looks like a broken sheet of paper "once" and now my comcast mail opens with no problem.  i hope this info helps you! good luck!!!!

i posted this first... if you're using windows 7 internet explorer go to your email account where you're having the problem and click on the the icon in the http:// box that looks like a broken sheet of paper next to the address bar arrow.  if that doesn't work try using another browser like google chrome or safari to see if you can open your email with a different browser.  it worked for me.  good luck! 

Gold Problem Solver
Regular Contributor

Yes the envelope is there this time but when clicking on it nothing happens. So I clicked on send this user a private message and again nothing happens. Therefore I can not send you a private message and this is messed up as well as email. What a joke Comcast is becoming.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got your email address and I will email you shortly.. Would you be able to open Xfinity Email and respond back to me with a phone number that I can reach you on?

Thank you,
Sharath
Comcast Silicon Valley
Regular Contributor

Read it all and did it all several times and posted it as well and still no email working. I sure think Comcast has dropped the ball on this one and can't get it working for us. What a shame a huge company that we pay for a service and can't use. I'm looking into other options like some of the rest are.

Regular Contributor

Sure is taking them long enough to fix it.  I don't plan to have to pay for using email when I can't all this time and I don't think the rest should have to either. I have never heard of a company as big as Comcast taking so long to fix something. I use to work in IT and if we did something like this we wouldn't have our jobs.

Regular Contributor

Well now would I be checking this post all the time for a fix if I could open my email?

Regular Contributor

I sure agree with this one. Copy and paste, copy and paste, copy and paste but no real answers and solutions. Good company huh?

Regular Contributor

I have no brokern page!

Gold Problem Solver
Moved:

DO NOT Use Profanity Please keep your posts clean. Our forums have an automated profanity filter to block out inappropriate language. Please do not circumvent it by finding colorful ways to approximate or disguise those words. If you are caught trying to bypass the filters in any way, your posting privileges may be revoked.

New Poster

When I hit to open full message the screen goes into the hold mode and never opens. How do you clear cache browser?

Gold Problem Solver

How to clear yourb browser cache depends on which browser/ version you use. See ths clickable link. And scroll down to whichever browser you use.

http://m.wikihow.com/Clear-Your-Browser's-Cache

CC
Frequent Visitor

I have Internet Explorer 10,

Which has the broken page in the address box. 

Try:

Click tools>

Click compatibility view...

If not checked. 

Good luck!!!!  

Regular Contributor

If this was meant for me, tell me how or what I said that you are referring to as I did not even come close to using profanity.

Regular Contributor

Tried that and broken page still there even when in compatibility view.

Contributor

CC -

When I'm clearing my cache - I keep the "Preserve Favorites website data" box checked - because its a real hassle to go back and reenter all that info.   Does this keep me from doing a throrough cache cleaning?

Also, I can get e-mail to work by switching to the Lite version - every day.   Every morning when I come back to try again, the version has reset itself to "Full" somehow...

Does that make any sense??

Thanks,

K

Gold Problem Solver

@kjk93940 wrote:

CC -

When I'm clearing my cache - I keep the "Preserve Favorites website data" box checked - because its a real hassle to go back and reenter all that info.   Does this keep me from doing a throrough cache cleaning?

Also, I can get e-mail to work by switching to the Lite version - every day.   Every morning when I come back to try again, the version has reset itself to "Full" somehow...

Does that make any sense??

Thanks,

K

I never have it checked.  It causes more problems than it's worth, in my opinion.

And yes, it does keep those settings too.

Uncheck it, go to Preferences, switch back to Lite again and I think you will stay in Lite.

Let me know.

CC

Regular Visitor

Got the same issue, using IE9. i can log into comcast.net but every time i attempt to open email all i get is "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage".  i have rebooted and cleared cookies,cach etc etc

Regular Visitor

So just for the heck of it,i tried on the wifes comp. She runs XP,I run windows 7. Same issue and same error.

Gold Problem Solver

@Wolfie wrote:

So just for the heck of it,i tried on the wifes comp. She runs XP,I run windows 7. Same issue and same error.

Which browser/version are you using please?

Have you tried a different browser to test?  If you are using Internet Explorer, try Firefox or Chrome?

Regular Contributor

This is a Comcast problem for all of us. When Microsoft releases a newer version of a browser it is not up to Microsoft to make other sites work with it. It is the other sites and need to makes sure their site works with all browsers.  The programmers at Comcast should know this and fix it. I once had a web site designed and told the programmer everything I needed it to do, which was a lot as it for colleges and libraries. He did NOT make it work in all browsers, only a few. Was this Microsoft fault? NO it was not, it was the programmer I hired to make the web site for me and he had to redo it at no cost to me but while waiting I had many  unhappy customers and even lost a few. This web site was for people all over the globe and everyone uses different browsers whether from Microsoft or not. My programmer finally was able to fix it and it worked well after that. What I don't understand is why with such a big company as Comcast is, they haven't fixed this yet. I am certain they will lose business soon.  I have tried all the suggestions listed and still can not access email. I started with Internet 9 as my computers and laptops came with that and it worked fine until they put the newer modems in and said we needed them now. Once they did that Internet Explorer 9 stopped working. I called and they had to try something's, nothing worked, so they gave me ticket number and said someone would call me. No one called so after a few days I called Comcast and they told me it was my problem with my computer and not their problem. Well if it were my problem and not theirs why would so many people be having the same problem?  I then tried to back to an earlier version of Internet Explorer and could not. So I upgraded to Internet Explorer 10 and same problem.  None of the suggestions here work for me just as they don't for others. My suggestion to Comcast is that they fix this and soon. Attention Comcast: When you buy a computer or laptop it comes with the newest version of Internet Explorer on it so you need to get on board with it.

Frequent Visitor

i did FINALLY get my email to work.  My 16 year old worked on it for a while-removed some other programs, installed Chrome...and it finally works.Hope it continues to after reading other comments.    But-i do like IE better than Chrome but i guess i got to do what's going to work for my email.

Frequent Visitor

cregor:   I am surprised that this problem is still going on.  I originally had the problem several weeks ago. Called COMCAST, and I was given some scripted procedure to try.  After several attempt at of trying to fix the problem, I was advised to get a technican or geek technican to help me.  I did, and it cost me $149.99.  I don't have a clue what they did, but so far I have been able to get my email.  Originally, I was on IE 9, and Microsoft installed IE 10. 

Frequent Visitor

same thing here (to the last poster)  Only one (this) computer had the problem though.  I bought a new-used computer for $250 just to get my email.  Problem was mostly on Windows 7 - I think.

Regular Contributor

regarding not able to open email i had same problem around the same time as you but i kept getting that username password was incorrect this was on phone and pc,  my daughter who has own account under mine had same problem and was unable to log into comcast around 3:45-4:15 pm est. 

Regular Visitor

F THIS DOES NOT ALLOW YOU INTO YOUR INBOX, REPLY WITH THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION:

Chrome and IE10

Which version of XfinityConnect are you using? Can't get there to find ou after I try to open mailbox. I get:

Oops!

There seems to be a problem. I'll tell you what... let us fix it and this can be our little secret. Please wait 30 seconds and try again.

403: Could not sign user in.

Go back 

Should be Lite.

Have you tried accessing your email with a different browser; such as Firefox or Chrome? Yes

Do you also use an email client?  No

I can get the mail list using http://smartzone.mail.comcast.net/

Cache and all that is clean.  This foulup began two days ago.

Regular Visitor

Well what ever the issue was,it suddenly went away. But to answer the browser question i use IE9 and the wife uses IE8. Email has worked fine for the last half a day.

Regular Contributor

John I too was a computer geek at one time for many years till I started the other business. I have tried everything and thought perhaps that it being so long that I worked in IT that I was missing something. So I called a computer place and had a tech out and he told me my computer was fine that is was COMCAST.  I am happy that worked for you and hope it stays working but if it was our computers why are so many people having the same problem?  We can't ALL have computer problems can we?  Thanks for replying and again I sure hope yours keep working.

Regular Contributor

Oh I had the phone problem as well.  Everytime the phone rang my internet went out. I had COMCAST out and they put in the new modem. It helped but did NOT fix it completely. Still happens off and on. And still can't get to e-mail.