Community Forum

Can't open Email

Regular Contributor

Re: Can't open Email

I would agree with you about it being on Windows 7 as my daughter lives here and has Windows XP and hers works fine. But then again she had Internet Explorer 7

Frequent Visitor

Cregor:  So far so good.  I wish I could tell you what the techies did to remedy the problem.  I am in VA and the tech company was in CA.  They actually took over my computer as I watched them trying various fixes.  Each time they did something, they ask my permission. Unfortunately, they didn't tell me what the problem was or what they did to fix it.  Nevertheless, Comcast was no help at all. 

Frequent Visitor

I sign in from the Xfinity homepage and I can get to the inbox preview, but can't open the full inbox or open any individual emails.  Actually, once in Xfinity Connect, I can't get to anything else... not my address book and not preferences.  I cleared cache and disabled all add-ons.  Still the same problem.

Windows 8

Firefox 20.0.1

Works fine if I use IE 10

Don't use an email client

Thanks in advance for your help.

Frequent Visitor

Here we go again. No access to email. I only get the blue spinning thing.

I thought Comcast had this fixed last night??? Do I have to spend another full day without access???

Regular Contributor

Thanks John as I do understand. Don't worry I will get it fixed somehow and you are right. Comcast is NO help at all. Good luck to you.

Regular Contributor

A full day? You are lucky it's been a month since I can use my email as Comcast is NO help at all!

Official Employee

@cregor wrote:

A full day? You are lucky it's been a month since I can use my email as Comcast is NO help at all!

Hello Cregor,

Please let me know a good time (i.e. Monday at 8 a.m. PST)  I can get one of the Support Agents to assist you with the issue you are seeing.  We can try to reach you on the telephone number on your account.  

Also, if you have another email you use (google, yahoo, hotmail, etc) we can try contacting you that way also.  Just let us know.

Thanks,

Ken Tran
Comcast Silicon Valley

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

@LTS wrote:

I sign in from the Xfinity homepage and I can get to the inbox preview, but can't open the full inbox or open any individual emails.  Actually, once in Xfinity Connect, I can't get to anything else... not my address book and not preferences.  I cleared cache and disabled all add-ons.  Still the same problem.

Windows 8

Firefox 20.0.1

Works fine if I use IE 10

Don't use an email client

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hello LTS,

In your Firefox options, can you check in the "Content" tab and see if your Javascipt is enabled?  If it is, then also make sure you have the latest Javascript installed.  I am currently using Java version 7 update 17 and Firefox, Chrome and IE loads the inbox for me without issues.

Thanks,

Ken Tran
Comcast Silicon Valley

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

@mneeley490 wrote:

Here we go again. No access to email. I only get the blue spinning thing.

I thought Comcast had this fixed last night??? Do I have to spend another full day without access???

Hi mneeley490,

Can you let us know a little more detail?

1) Is this happening on all browsers on your machine or just one specific one?

2) Have you tried clearing your cache and relogging into XC?

3) Did you look at Page 1 of this thread and follow my post to disable browser add-ons that could possibly be blocking your access to the inbox?

Please let us know.

Thanks,

Ken Tran
Comcast Silicon Valley

Regular Contributor

Don't worry I finally got the RIGHT tech today on the phone and she fixed it will me in less then five minutes when no other person from Comcast could for a full month nor any of the techs from Comast on here.

Regular Contributor

Let me know what Comcast had to do that is was working and now stopped. I called today and finally about a full month of no one helping including techs from Comcast on here this one got mine to work perfect in five minutes.

Frequent Visitor

Cregor:   Was this tech from another source?  I mean other than Comcast. 

Regular Contributor

LTD I had the same problems for over a month and have been following this forum and posting as well and trying all the things that the Comcast techs say to and nothing has worked. I have called Comcast many times and no one knew how to fix it. However, today I finally got the right tech and she fixed mine with me in less then five minutes.  If you are in the lite version put it back in full version. Then  go up to tools just under the address bar and in the drop down box click on internet options. When the other box opens there are tabs on top. Hit the advance tab and you will see in lower right where it sayd reset. Just above that make sure that is unchecked then his reset. Another litle box opens and after all three things listed there are green you can close that. Then log out, close you browers and reopen and log into mail and you should be fine. Let me know if that doesn't work in case I forgot something. Tell me what happens when you do what I have suggested if it doesn't work. Hope this helps you as it sure did me. Plus when I talked with her she gave me credit for all the problems and also I got a manager over it and got free channels out for free for three months that we didn't have. So what I am saying is that there aren't many out there that know what they are doing and when you get the right one bingo plus they are good about making it up to you if you tell them you deserve credit for all the problems.

Regular Contributor

I just posted a fix hope you see it and if not let me know and I'll tell you how I got the right tech at Comcast after a full month and she fixed mine in less then five minutes.

Regular Contributor

John just wanted to get back to you and let you know that if you are still reading these that I finally got a real tech at Comcast and knew her stuff, unlike most. She fixed mine in less then five minutes plus gave me credit on my bill for the problems and I also talked with a manager and got two free movie channels for three months what we didn't have. I sure do wish you could have gotten her before you had spend that money. If I were you I would call Comcast and insist on credit and tell them about what I posted.

Regular Contributor

No it was a Comcast tech but you have to finally get one that knows what they are doing and most don't. She was great.

Frequent Visitor

Cregor:  Thanks so much.  I already have their 3 pack and it ain't cheap.  I am going to ask Comcast for some credit.  I have been a customer for a long, long time. 

Gold Problem Solver
Moved:

Your post was moved to a secure area because your posted personal information in a public forum. See the NEW post addressed to you please in this Forum.

Regular Contributor

We have also been customers of theirs for yearsssssss. 

Regular Contributor

Oh come one John get it together if you're a real tech you should know how to fix this.

Regular Contributor

Got it today from a real Tech at Comcast finally and not from any techs on here that are giving out info that don't work

Frequent Visitor

Tried everything listed from first post. nothing works. Only thing that works is using my I Pad for my e-mail. 

Gold Problem Solver

Dto71-

IF THIS DOES NOT ALLOW YOU INTO YOUR INBOX, REPLY WITH THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION:

Which browser/version do you use?
Which version of XfinityConnect are you using? (To check: Open XfinityConnect, click on Preferences, and then click on General. A window will open showing you which version is checked)
Have you tried accessing your email with a different browser; such as Firefox or Chrome?
Do you also use an email client? Which one/version?

Post back with all the answers
Regular Visitor

I wanted to share my findings with everyone. My wife started having this problem early this week. She has a desktop running IE8. My son also uses this computer but he uses Google Chrome. My son found out that she could access her email thru Google Chrome but the program she uses for her dog rescue is not compatable with Chrome. I have a laptop that uses IE10 thru the router and I can access email with no problem. I went to work and tried there. We use Verizon as a provider and the computer uses Vista and could access with no problem

I came to this website to get help and wanted to share my findings with everyone.

The desktop is using IE8, The Full version of Xfinity. No email client is used.

1) I cleared the browser chache and cookies and temp files. I disabled add ons. Restarted the computer. This did not help.

2) I unistalled Google Chrome and restarted the computer and that did not help. I reinstalled Google Chrome. Restarted the computer. From what I have read this has helped some people.  

3) I tried hitting the voicemail button and then the email button and that did not help. From what I have read this was a  way that it could be accessed.

4) I tried going to "m.comcast.netm" (I think that was the site) to access emails and could not. the tab just flashed from blue to white and nothing happened 

5) I tried what "CREGOR" reccomended on the date 5-10-13 at 8:48 pm and that did not help. Even thought it solved their problem.

6) This morning I got up and tried to restore my computer. I restored it to the date 4/28/13 in which Windows had done 3 updates to the computer after that date. After restoring the computer I am able to access the emails with out any problem.

Now I really dont know anything about computers and have to "repair" things myself because I cannot afford to pay someone to "fix" my problems plus by the time I do pay someone I can buy another computer. I have spent a total of about 6 hours to "fix" my computer. Why is it that these "Comcast Techs" cannot figure out this problem that has been going on since Feburary.

I personally believe that it has something to do with Windows and Comcast not "jiving" with each other but I dont know to much about this stuff. I will be changing my Windows updates from automatic to aleart me when the changes come in so I can select the ones I want.

Hope this helps some people.  

Gold Problem Solver

Can. You share what the three Windows Updates were? Do they show in your Update History? If yes, please post them in your reply. One of the Updates may have been the installation. Of Internet Explorer Version 10.

I am speaking for myself, I have never set Windows Updates to automatically install any Updates. I want to see first, what Updates wants to do. You are right, set to alert you only.

Carole

Regular Visitor

I forgot to mention before #1 I did run Malwarebytes and Microsoft Security Essentials and nothing was found as far as virus' or anything.

Regular Visitor

Since restoreing the computer it is showing the last updates were done at 4/24/13. Which I would think would be ok since I am not having the problem anymore and the restore point was 4/28. The updates that it wants to install now that I have changed the automatic setting at this point are as follows.

1 important - Definition Update for Microsoft Security Essentials - KB2310138 Definition 1.1149.1788.0

9 Optional - LSI - Network - LSI PCI-SV92EX Soft Modem

Microsoft - Other hardware - HID Non- User Input Data Filter KB 911895

Microsoft - Pointing Drawing - Microsoft Hardware USB Wireless Mouse

Update for Windows 7 for x64 based Systems KB2574819

Update for Windows 7 for x64 based Systems KB2592687

Update for windows 7 for x64 based Systems KB2709981

Bing Desktop v1/2

I will allow the "1 important" update being as it is form my virus software. If it causes any problems I will post again.

Hope this helps

Gold Problem Solver

Thank you.  I would double click on the Updates you didn't install yet to see what they are, then decide if they should be installed or not.

Carole

Regular Contributor

Dto did you try the new post I suggested?  I couldn't access my email for a month nor could any techs from Comcast help me until finally two days ago when I called again. I finally got the RIGHT tech and really knew her stuff and she fixed mine in less in five minutes. Plus gave me credit.

Regular Contributor

Well Comcast will tell you that it's not them, it's Microsoft putting out new versions of Internet Explorer and it's not their problem. However, any web site that is worth anything should be aware of things such as this and get their act together and stay compatitable in my opinion. If you'd like to tell me what you did that I suggested, perhaps I left something out and can help further. Sorry you had to go to all that trouble. Even though you did the restore you will still get the updates again soon and the problem may come back. I sure hope not for your sake.

Regular Contributor

I did the exact same thing and nothing was found.

Regular Contributor

CC why do you keep asking the same questions instead of putting a solutions out there. I mean no disrepect but have seen the same post from you a millions times.

Gold Problem Solver

@cregor wrote:

CC why do you keep asking the same questions instead of putting a solutions out there. I mean no disrepect but have seen the same post from you a millions times.

Perhaps you need to direct your question to ComcastKen. You can PM him.  He is the Team leader for XfinityConnect.  I post what has worked for some Users, and I post what the User should post in reply, if the suggestions do not work for them. 

Do you think if I knew as fact,the solution for ALL Users I wouldn't post it?  Do note that some Users updated to Internet Explorer Version 10, and turning on Compatibility View fixed their issue?  We are talking about millions of customers, all with different browsers being used, different operating systems, different settings,... The list goes on and on.

FYI- And- I did notify Ken what you posted that worked for you to review as well.

CC

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Good I'm happy you let Ken know what I said. If he was a good tech he would KNOW how to fix this for ALL users in whatever browser they are using.  I got a GREAT tech finally at Comcast and finally and she was able to fix mine in five minutes after a whole month of working with so called techs at Comcast and reading what Comcast techs say on here. So if you want to listen to Ken and keep posting what he says, have at it. I updated to version 10 as well but the problem started with version 9 and the only site it didn't work with is COMCAST so that would tell me it's a COMCAST problem and they need to know how to fix it without all this mess for their customers. At one point I tried all the suggestion you posted and answered you but got no reply except the same questions over and over and got tired of hearing the same thing. No worries, like I said I found a REAL tech at Comcast and mine was fixed in less then five minutes. I hope Ken answers me and I will be sure to tell him just what I think. In the mean you can keep doing what you want that isn't working.

Contributor

Cregor -

What version of IE are you using?   Which button in the lower right corner are you hitting?  "Reset" or "Restore Advanced Settings"?

Thanks...

Gold Problem Solver

My sole purpose here as a Volunteer, not employed by Comcast is to help fellow customers when and if I can.  I am not here to argue with anyone so have nothing more to say.

Carole

Regular Contributor

Is this Ken from Comcast?

Regular Contributor

Nor do I to you as you seem to not be helping much.

Contributor

Me?  No.

Regular Contributor

I was using 9 updated problem started then so updated to version 10 and still problem so I hit setting reset then a new box opens and all there that are there need to turn green then you can close everything, log out and back in but be in full not lite. If you have more problems let me know ok?

Official Employee

Hi Cregor,

Sorry I was unable to respond sooner.  Please realize that Corole is volunteering her personal time to help all users on this forum and is not a Comcast Employee (as she has stated).  She has already helped hundreds to thousands of users in her years of assistance.  If her questions and suggestions did not fix your issue, then she will bring it up with the Comcast support teams (which includes myself).  From what I read about your fix, it seems like the Support Agent showed you how to reset your browser to default settings, which disables toolbars and addons, resets privacy and security and many more.

In the past, many users seeing similar issues did have browser addons that blocked Comcast website. That is the reason for our list of things to try out before calling support. Thanks to you, we can also add the step to reset your browser settings.  This is a continuing learning process as millions of Comcast users are NOT seeing this problem, but a few are.  In these cases, as with yours, we try to figure out what is different in your environment that is blocking Comcast from loading.  Once we can find the root cause and commonality, we can open a defect issue with the developers and ask them to fix this issue. 

Apologies that your issue took as long as it did and I am glad the Comcast Tech was able to compensate your time. 

Sincerely,

Ken Tran
Comcast Silicon Valley

Regular Contributor

I didn't figure she was a Comcast employee and IF she helped people good for her but she didn't help me at all. I had the issue for a whole month and not one tech at Comcast could fix it till I finally got the right one two days ago and she walked me through it in less in five minutes and fixed it. I gave her the highest rating on the survey I could as she certainly deserved it. In my opinion Comcast should be up to date with the new browsers that come out and be compatible with them as most web site are. As I stated in one of my post; I use to have an online journal and it was for colleges and libraries and I had to have my programmer make it work correctly in browers all over the world. Took some time to set it up correctly but he did and it has worked ever since no matter what updated browers come out. So  my question would be; why can't a huge company like Comcast do the same?  Well yes of course they would credit me as I have been with them for years and if they didn't do you think after not having email for a month I would stay with them? No need to tell me you're sorry as I got mine fixed and was gving credit I deserved, just help the rest of these poor people and get some more good tech at Comcast like the one I got when I called for the 10 th time before I reached a great one that fixed it.

Frequent Visitor

Ok, in my case, after a few days of problems I now seem to be getting to my email on my home PC, where Comcast is my internet provider. Not sure what the problem was, as I didn't do anything to try to fix it here.

Where I DO have a problem, is connecting to my email on ANY machine at my worksite. Up until 2 weeks ago I had no problem whatsoever with checking my Comcast emails from work during my lunch hour. Then, problems started creeping up with that spinning blue dot. Initially, I could still get on after 4-5 tries. Now the blue Xfinity dot just spins on to INFINITY. The software at my work has NOT changed recently, still running IE9 (and additionally, I do not have the option of monkeying with the settings), so ergo, the problem is with Comcast and their new software upgrade. Telling everyone, "It's you, not me" is getting very tiring and is doing a grave disservice to all your customers.

Regular Contributor

Re: Email connection

Using the lite version if unnecessary just have them do what I did Carol or have you even read what I did?  You know Comcast also needs to fix another problem. When you have Comcast as your home page and you sign in and go to email, you then have three browers open and that just crazy.

Regular Contributor

You are right it is Comcast and not us.

Regular Contributor

Re: Can't Get In To Read Email

Ken this does not pretend to this post but you thanked me and said my solution would be posted as a good one. I do not want that credit as it was NOT me that found the solution but a great tech, which actually I have only found the one at Comcast, is the one that fixed my problem. All I did was share it with others because it worked. You put a link in for me to see solutions and when I click on it all it does is take me back here and I do not see it, that is why I just looked for your name and am answering here. However, I still do not like the fact that when you log into email you have so many browsers open and when you log out you have to close them all. Why can't Comcast just have the one open you want open which in this case would be my email. You see this makes no sense at all.  Comcast has some issues with their programming.

Regular Contributor

Sorry Ken I see that you put it here under your name and are taking the credit for it when it was giving to you by me from a great tech from Comcast. Way to go smart guy. NOT

Official Employee

@cregor wrote:

Sorry Ken I see that you put it here under your name and are taking the credit for it when it was giving to you by me from a great tech from Comcast. Way to go smart guy. NOT

Hi Cregor,

Actually, I accepted your post as the solution,  you should be able to see it in Green color.  Also, in the opening post I also said that this solution was provided by you.  Unfortunately, I cannot credit the answer to the Comcast tech as they are not on this forum.  It really doesn't matter to me who finds the answer as long as our users can use all acceptable solutions and try to resolve their issue.

Ken Tran
Comcast Silicon Valley

Frequent Visitor

ComcastKen, I do have Javascript enabled. But, I think you are mixing up Java and Javascript. As far as I can tell with a little research on the web, Java and Javascript are two different things. And I don't believe one needs to have Java installed for Javascript to work within the web browser. I happen not to have Java installed.
Frequent Visitor

You can probably stop blaming Comcast.   I am fairly sure the culprit is Zimbra.   It seems that ‘Zimbra enterprise-class email’ has problem when linking with certain browsers and internet servers.   For example, I can not get off the preview page using IE 9, Firefox or Google Chrome with either Windows 7 or XP in my office which has a slow link and an offsite server.   This is with all cache cleared and only 3% of my allowed usage.   However, I can get into the email using Safari on my windows machine and the “Address Book” trick.   I recommend anyone having problems, download Safari if they want to get into their email.   At a Marriott, Zimbra works fine on all my browsers unless I go through a VPN and then I am back to only Safari.   Until either Zimbra (http://www.zimbra.com/ ) wakes up and fixes their software, or Comcast decides to change its service, you are stuck with what you have.  

Suggest first try Safari, its free and only a slight pain it the A.

Or

Change your email to Google or something else, bigger pain in the A.

Supposedly there is a new Zimbra release coming out soon, but who knows what it will do?