Community Forum

Can't open Email

Frequent Visitor

Re: Can't open Email

I have looked repeatedly and I cannot see "compatibility" option under the tools (the gear) with IE 10.  Can you tell me exactly where it should be?

Gold Problem Solver

tools.JPG

See if you can bring it up by holding down the ALY KEY AND THE t KEY AT THE SAME TIME.

If you don't see it, do you still see File- Edit- etc. at the top of the page?  If you do, right click on a blank area there and clikc the Menu bar.  Do you now see the Tools icon?

On the left side you should see > tools 1.JPG

On the far right side you should then see> tools 2.JPG

Frequent Visitor

Thank you.  That was the magic that let me see the compatibility button.

Frequent Visitor

still didn't work for me.

Frequent Visitor

I couldn't open my Comcast email messages either so I tried Google Chrome and Safari and had NO problem. 

I did have a problem using “Internet Explorer 10” so click on the icon at the top of the page at the end of the http:// box that looks like a broken sheet of paper near the refresh icon arrow, which helps with the compatibility view.  

This helped me! I haven't had any more problems with opening my email messages. 

Good luck!! 

Regular Visitor

This did it. Thanks.

Regular Contributor

I am using IE10 and have not been about to view my email like I use to for some time now. I just did what you said and I am using the complete version of your site. Yes I tried other browers but I should not have to use them. You are a big company and should be able to make this work and not take this long to do it. I have called a few times over this and was told it was NOT Comcast but that it was my computer and I know better. We the people are NOT stupid. I finally figured out a work around on my own and posted it for others to see but don't you dare ask me what it was as I will not tell you.  If I can figure it out why can't all your techs?  Trust me I will get compensated for all this mess or I will go to another company as many will.  I just can not believe that as big a company as you are that you can't fix this problem and also tell us it's us and NOT you.  It is YOU!  Yes I am mad as heck as rightfully so as I pay for a service and you don't deliver. 

Regular Contributor

I am using Internet Explorer 10  and have not been about to view my email like I use to for some time now. I just did what you said and I am using the complete version of your site. Yes I tried other browsers but I should not have to use them. You are a big company and should be able to make this work and not take this long to do it. I have called a few times over this and was told it was NOT Comcast but that it was my computer and I know better. We the people are NOT stupid. I finally figured out a work around on my own and posted it for others to see but don't you dare ask me what it was as I will not tell you.  If I can figure it out why can't all your techs?  Trust me I will get compensated for all this mess or I will go to another company as many will.  I just can not believe that as big a company as you are that you can't fix this problem and also tell us it's us and NOT you.  It is YOU!  Yes I am mad as heck as rightfully so as I pay for a service and you don't deliver. 

New Poster

I too can't open my email. When I do, all I get is a blank screen said connecting but it never does. I have cleared all cache and temp internet files. I try it again with the same problem. I went to add-ons to see if that was the issue, but nothing.

Regular Contributor

I have done everything you have said to do and it still does NOT work.  This is for Comcast to fix and fix NOW as WE are tired of it and pay for a service we are NOT getting.  I found my own work around to get into email but have to it every time and should not have to do it.  This is baloney!!

Regular Visitor

On your menu bar, next to the refresh icon, may be an icon that looks like a piece of paper torn in half. Turn that off.  If it is blue, it is on. If it is grey, it is off.

Regular Visitor

On your menu bar, next to the refresh icon, may be an icon that looks like a piece of paper torn in half. Turn that off.  If it is blue, it is on. If it is grey, it is off.

Regular Contributor

For the three time I have done all the things you have said to do and it still will NOT open my email like it should. You know every single computer or laptop we have bought has some with Internet explorer on it and the last ones we bought came with Internet Explorer 9 one them and they worked just fine. Then when you came out with the new modems/routers this problem started. I have called and called about this and was given a ticket number and told someone would call me about it. After several days no one called so I called again and was told that is was my computer not on your end. Well as you can see many people have the same problem and it is on your end. I would think that a huge company like Comcast would stay up on the newest software.  I can go to hundreds of sites and they work just fine and I also can go to hotmail, yahoo email, and many more and they work just fine but Comcast does not work even after trying all the things you have said to do. This has been happening for me for about a month now and I want to be compensated for a service I pay for and I am not getting and I better be.  This is unacceptable that you can't make our email work. Next time you email back don't put this same things in for me to try again as it does not work. I am sick and tired of this and found my own work around which I will NOT share with you but I have to do it every single time I  got into email and this is unacceptable and NOT what I am paying you for.  This needs to be fixed NOW! 

Regular Visitor

This how stupid comcast and this while site is:
Tell them you cannot open your e mail and they flood your inbox that there are replies to your post. What idiots.
how does continually asking explorer version help solve the problem.
If comcast wanted to solve the problem instead of charging and collecting money for something that does not work, there would be a post saying if you have this version do this or if you have this version you do that. Ready to dump comcast altogether.

Gold Problem Solver

If you don't want to receive email notifications of posts in a thread you posted in, you must click on UNSUBSCRIBE in the Topic Options.

Problem Solver

And, you can turn off the automatic subscription by clicking on "My Settings" (near the top of the page) and then selecting the "Preferences" tab. You will find a checkbox for "Automatically subscribe me..." .

Regular Contributor

I use Internet Explorer 10 now but was using version 9 when the problems started.  My email is with comcast and just stopped working with Internet Explorer 9 all of a sudden. I have cleared the cash and have people from Comcast go through things with me and nothing has worked.  I use windown 7 home premium. I guess I use the full version but do not know how to tell. It is in compatiblity view and no add ons. I still can not believe that you guys can't fix this as most all computers and laptop come with Internet Explorer on them and that newer the computer the newer version of Internet Explorer so that tells me it is Comcast problem and I am sick of it.

Gold Problem Solver

Did you turn on Compatibility View after switching to Version 10? 

Tools> Compatbility View.

Regular Contributor

Yes I did.

Gold Problem Solver

To check which Version of XfinityConnect you use:

To check: Open XfinityConnect, click on Preferences in the Preview window. Now click on the General tab. A window opens showing which version you are using.

If you have tried all the suggestions in the first thread, please answer:

Which operating system?

Have you tried accessing your email with a different browser; such as Firefox or Chrome?

New Poster

IF THIS DOES NOT ALLOW YOU INTO YOUR INBOX, REPLY WITH THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION:

tried the compatibility no luck

Which browser/version do you use?   explorer 10

Which version of XfinityConnect are you using?  (To check: Open XfinityConnect, click on Preferences, and then click on General.  A window will open showing you which version is checked)       window won't open only spinning circle of dots

Have you tried accessing your email with a different browser; such as Firefox or Chrome?

Do you also use an email client?  Which one/version      no email client    don't have different browser  should not need one

Regular Contributor

I have done all this and also answered you a dozen times now and it still does not work.

New Poster

I can't go to my email inbox via Internet Explorer, but I can get it using Google Chrome. Can you tell be how to fix Internet Explorer so I can get to my inbox?

Gold Problem Solver

Are you using Internet Explorer Version 10? If yes, see the text below. And follow all the suggestions listed as well.

If you are unable to open email in XfinityConnect, please try this:

Clear your browser cache of temporary internet files and cookies.
Directions for each browser can be found in this clickable link:
http://www.wikihow.com/Clear-Your-Browser%27s-Cache

Also, certain browser Add-ons causes issues with Xfinity Connect. Check this link on how to disable the add-ons:
http://forums.comcast.com/t5/E-Mail-and-Xfinity-Connect-Help/ZIMLET-SEARCH-ERROR-ISSUE/td-p/1402019

Windows Updates released Internet Explorer Version 10 recently.

Microsoft has added Comcast.net as one of the domains for Compatibility view, so IE10 should automatically switch to Compatibility mode when using the Xfinity website.
If you still cannot access your email, and have updated to Version 10 to use as your browser:
Make sure to Compatibility View in IE Ver. 10 under Tools is enabled.

IF THIS DOES NOT ALLOW YOU INTO YOUR INBOX, REPLY WITH THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION:

Which browser/version do you use?
Which version of XfinityConnect are you using? (To check: Open XfinityConnect, click on Preferences, and then click on General. A window will open showing you which version is checked)
Do you also use an email client? Which one/version?

Post back with all the answers
Regular Contributor

For the last time; I have done all of this several times and also told you in the post and replying to your post a number of times and MY EMAIL STILL does NOT work right.  I had to find my own work around to get it and I shouldn't have to do that every time I want to check email.

Gold Problem Solver

Cregor,

Please understand that ALL posts in this Thread are not directed to you, some of directed to other customers as well.

New Poster

Okay, I cleared the cache and it seems to be working now.

thanks

Contributor

Same thing just started happening to me yesterday afternoon.   When I click to "View Entire Inbox"

from the http://xfinityconnect.mail.comcast.net/ screen, I'm just getting a white screen with the litte timer dots circling.  

Yesterday, I was able to get to my full inbox by changing the compatibility settings as suggested here.  This morning, that didn't work.   I've also cleared browser cache and cookies.

I'm using Windows 7 - 64 bit, IE 9 and full version of XfinityConnect.

Everything works fine in Chrome.

Contributor

Update.   Just stopped working in Chrome too.

Frequent Visitor

Same Problem using windows 7 and Firefox, IE9 and Google Chrome.  I can get to preview but no further, no view entire inbox or preference or compose now, no address book so I don't know version.   I tried clearing everything from cookies to history to completions.

If I use Safari, I can go to address book and then to email

In firefox if I paste  http://sz0096.ev.mail.comcast.net/zimbra/h/search  in the address I get emails with a wierd layout and the view has a pull down window not a pull down list with only a choice of by message or by conversation and no reading pane choice.

I went to try the same in IE9 but this time when I clicked view entire in box it worked.  

What gives?   Firefox still not working and I don't trust any of this.

Xfinity should go back to the e-mail before zimbra.   It went direct to email without the useless preview.

Contributor

Thanks for sharing. I've gotta think this is something with Comcast. I haven't changed anything on my computer in the past two days.

I also got into e-mail thru IE about an hour ago, but that only lasted about 5 minutes. It's not working any more...
Official Employee

If you can't load your inbox, I would verify that you have the latest version of Java installed and that you are allowing Javascript to run on your browser Advanced Settings.  If you hover over the "View Entire Inbox" link, it is making a Javascript call, so therefore can cause issues if you are not up to date or do not allow Javascript to load.

Ken Tran
Comcast Silicon Valley

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

I haven't closed mine on IE9 and it is picking up the new emails.   We will see what tomorrow brings.   I can't believe it isn't comcast.   Funny though, when I go home and use my windows 7 machine there I don't have the problem.   Here at work I have 2 computers one on Windows 7 and one on window XP with IE7 and they both have the problem.   Running Norton at home and McAfee here maybe that is it?

New Poster

It is my compatibility mode-it needs to be on for my E-mail to load and keeps auto-setting itself off. I just turn it back on and all is well but I am still trying to figure out why it keeps turning off-has been that way since IE 10 auto-installed on my computer-that messed up a few things...

Contributor

Thanks, Ken.

Just checked my Java and downloaded the latest version.   That did not help.    How do I make sure if my browser is letting it run in Advanced Settings?

FYI - I just switched my Preferences to Lite, and e-mail started working.  I then switched it back to Full and it kept working.  But wait, it just stopped again...   Smiley Sad      But I got it to start again by switching preferences.

Something is going on...

Regular Visitor

You are not listening. If we can not open the e mail page what makes you think the preferences page will open. This is a useless Web site. I am done with Comcast and it.17 percent profit on useless service.
New Poster

I didn't browse all the posts so if this was suggested already I apologize.  I was having the same problem (using IE10) and I went to Compatibility View Settings and made sure I marked the box for 'Display All Websites in Compatibility View' and that worked right away.  Fingers crossed it stays that way...

Contributor

OK.  I'm in IE 9.   So I tried the "Display All Websites in Compatibility View" trick.   I worked.   Sort of.   Now I'm getting a funky version of e-mail.   The reading pane has disappeared, and the font has changed.   I can't seem to find any reading pane options.

Contributor

Another update.  Chrome isn't working this morning either.  I can't even open Preferences in Chrome to try switching to the Lite version.

Regular Contributor

I do understand that it's for others as well.  Seems to me though that there are an awful lot of people having the same problem and with no success with your answers of what to do to fix it and are as mad and upset about Comcast as I am. This is ridiculous on Comcast part.

Gold Problem Solver

@kjk93940 wrote:

Another update.  Chrome isn't working this morning either.  I can't even open Preferences in Chrome to try switching to the Lite version.

See if using this link will take you into the Lite version.  Post back.

http://sz0096.ev.mail.comcast.net/zimbra/h/search

PS I am using Chrome and do not have an issue today.

Contributor

Thanks, Carole -

Yes, that takes me to the Lite version.  However, the time stamps in that inbox are 8 hours ahead of my local time.   Chrome still not working for me.

If there is a problem with Comcast, it would be great if they would come clean with it.   We could all stop wasting our time looking for solutions....

Highlighted
Official Employee

kjk93940,

We do not have any reports of a systemic issue.  We'll take a look at your account to see if there's an issolated issue.  Someone will get back to you shortly.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Gold Problem Solver

@kjk93940 wrote:

Thanks, Carole -

Yes, that takes me to the Lite version.  However, the time stamps in that inbox are 8 hours ahead of my local time.   Chrome still not working for me.

If there is a problem with Comcast, it would be great if they would come clean with it.   We could all stop wasting our time looking for solutions....

Did you set your Preferences now to using Lite?  To do:  Open XfinityConnect using the link I gave you.  Click on Preferences from the Preview window, then click on the General icon.  Switch to Lite using EDIT.  Close and re-open XC and you should be in Lite.

Now- For the Time Zone:  IN Lite, click on Preferences, then on Email.  At the top of the list you will see TIME ZONE.  Set it to the correct Time Zone for your area.

Carole

TIME.JPG

Frequent Visitor

Today only Safari is working for me here at work.   Even here I need to go through the contacts first.   We have a ridiculously slow internet access here.   I mean it is slower than ISDN.   Since e-mail works at home where I have a 1000T wired connection on a Comcast modem and 450  wireless, I wonder if it isn’t a time out problem?   Since Safari has a different protection scheme, could it be that IE and Firefox are doing too much checking and thus delaying the signal so long that there is a time out?   Again, I wonder if it could also be related to Norton vs. McAfee although I did turn off all the McAfee stuff with no better results.

I hope we get this back soon.  

Contributor

I guess what I find the most frustrating about all of this is...

Until two days ago, I was running the Full version without any problems whatsoever.   I had been running that way for years.   Then suddenly on Monday everything quits working and I'm forced into a workaround solution and a shift to the Lite version.   And even that doesn't work sometimes.

Comcast says there are no systemic issues that they are aware of.

So what happened??

The only thing that I can think of is that I know Microsoft forced out some updates on Monday morning.   Could it be something in one of these updates that changed a setting on my computer??

Contributor

Even more interesting...

I just went back in and changed my Preferences settings to "Full".    When I go back to my Inbox, it is still displaying the Lite version.   Now I've tried switching back and forth several times.   Nothing happens.   I'm stuck with the Lite version of the Inbox.

Chrome still not working at all.

Regular Contributor

I don't agree it being Microsofts update that did this.  I can open Internet Explorer and get to any site I go to plus yahoo email, hotmail email, gmail, ymail and more and they all work fine except for Comcast. So if it was Mircrosoft why would they all work except for Comcast email? 

Gold Problem Solver

No one said it was a fully a Microsoft issue.  The one issue, Internet Explorer Version 10 and needing Compatibility View on, was a Microsoft issue.  The XfinityConnect Team contacted Microsoft about it and they patched it.  Here is the quote from ComcastKen:

Microsoft has added Comcast.net as one of the domains for Compatibility view, so IE10 should automatically switch to Compatibility mode when using the Xfinity website.

If you still cannot access your email, and have updated to Version 10 to use as your browser:

Make sure to Compatibility View in IE Ver. 10 under Tools is enabled.

Regular Contributor

Don't hold your breathe as they told me that and even gave me a ticket number on the phone and never did call me back so I called them finally and was told it was my fault and not theirs. Which obviously is not true with so many people haveing the same problem.