Community Forum

Can't get Xfinity Email on Thunderbird - Security Certificate Invalid or Corrupted?

Contributor

Can't get Xfinity Email on Thunderbird - Security Certificate Invalid or Corrupted?

Yes, I've made sure that my Account Settings have been updated, Comcast/xFinity has been sending out warning emails to me for months now, directing me to the following...

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/update-pop3-110-995?rid=9589358&mid=20181203_Adhoc_CM_POP_F...

After ensuring that my account settings match what the above instructs they should be; even though my account settings window is slightly different from the one they show...  I now get an error message from Thunderbird telling me that Comcast's Security Certificate is either Invalid or Corrupted, and now it won't download my emails anymore.

email error.jpg

Seeing as its their security certificate..... Is Comcast going to fix this issue?

Contributor

Re: Can't get Xfinity Email on Thunderbird - Security Certificate Invalid or Corrupted?

Wow.

I absolutely love the professionalism around here.

Instead of replying to me....

Comcast goes and DELETES my second post here.

It seems they're trying to sweep this problem under the rug, maybe hoping it will go away? 

I tried adding a new account using their IMAP settings using the following information:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/pop-imap-mozilla-thunderbird

I get the same error... telling me THEIR Security Certificate is corrupt or invalid... and it will no longer download my emails...

WHEN WILL THEY FIX THIS ISSUE??

I'm handicaped, and Im very sick this week and have lost my voice.. I can not CALL anyone about this, this is my only way to commuinicate right now and I MUST have my emails working before the end of the week as I have a signed Non Disclosure Agreement connected to two of my comcast.com email accounts... I can't access xfinity.com from work, our management has all "news" websites blocked, including xfinity, yahoo, fox, cnn, etc... so I can not sign in to get my email.  I have to download through my email client and now I can not even do this!

Official Employee

Re: Can't get Xfinity Email on Thunderbird - Security Certificate Invalid or Corrupted?

Hi, cjc-75. Thanks for posting. I didn't see what happened to your first post, but I am more than happy and more than willing to help you with this. Normally we would need you to confirm that your email is working OK on the native Comcast.net website, but I understand that you cannot do that at this time. Please specify what your current server settings are set to in Thunderbird (or send a screenshot) so I can see exactly where you're at with everything. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Expert

In addition to the information @ComcastMorgan requested, what OS are you using?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

I am using Windows 7 Home SP1.

Here  is a screenshot of my email settings in Thunderbird.

...and thank you for your responses!

comcast settings.jpg

Contributor

Also as stated previously, I attempted setting up a second account in Thunderbird using the IMAP settings.... which also failed with the same errors.

Here is a screen shot of those settings:

comcast imap.jpg

Official Employee

I understand and thank you for the screenshots. Have you been able to confirm if you're able to successfully retrieve emails from our website directly?

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Expert

@cjc-75  I know this sounds contrary to everything, but I am using IMAP with port 995 with SSL/TLS and Normal password for authentication for incoming and I have had no problems receiving email.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

@ComcastMorgan I have been able to confirm that it works through the webmail; though as I previously said, I don't always have access to it.

@Again I have tried Port 995 with imap as well, and it results in the same error... that xfinity's security certificate is "corrupt or invalid"...

Official Employee

Good morning, cjc-75. Thanks for confirming. I know you've already made a few attempts to work around the error you're receiving, but I sent you an email outlining recommended steps with screenshots for your email client. Please carefully review them and modify accordingly. Are you having trouble sending emails through Thunderbird currently as well, or is that portion fine on your end? Sometimes it's one or the other (difficulty sending and/or receiving email) and sometimes it's both.

Silver Problem Solver

Isn't the IMAP port 993?

For Comcast IMAP, try using "imap.ge.xfinity.com". Some have reported issues with imap.comcast.net.

Official Employee

Yes. Port 995 with SSL is secure and is the recommended port for POP. You can update your Incoming Mail Server Port to 995 with SSL to continue to receive mail without any change to your experience, so there are a few settings contributing to the error 

cjc-75 is getting.

This is a link that outlines switching from POP to IMAP: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/pop-imap-mozilla-thunderbird and it mentions port 993 needs to be set for the incoming server when switching from POP to IMAP. Note: The instructions contained in this article only apply to users who have already configured their Xfinity email accounts via POP. In addition, this guide assumes that while setting up your email through POP, you chose not to retain emails in the server after downloading them to the email client. It's important that if you wish to change from POP to IMAP, please move any emails or folders that you wish to save into your new IMAP account before deleting the POP account to prevent any impact to your experience.

Expert

@andyross wrote:

Isn't the IMAP port 993?

For Comcast IMAP, try using "imap.ge.xfinity.com". Some have reported issues with imap.comcast.net.

Those people are using some version of a Linux OS.

And yes, the normal port is 993, however, as I said, I am using 995 with no problems and have been using it for quite a long time.

Contributor

@ComcastMorgan

Sorry for the delayed response...

Hadn't had an opportunity to log into that webmail until this evening.

The Link you sent me, is actually the very page I originally used to set up the second IMAP account.

Regardless, I deleted the account within my Thunderbird and recreated it a second time, making sure to follow the steps in your link.

I still get the same result... an error telling me that xFinity's Security Certificate is either invalid, or corrupted.

Official Employee

cjc-75 - 

Can you please confirm if you have the latest version of Thunderbird? 

Contributor

@ComcastAlly

Its not the latest.

It hadn't been updated in a long time because it never "needed" to be; since its never had problems before.

Expert

@cjc-75 wrote:

@ComcastAlly

Its not the latest.

It hadn't been updated in a long time because it never "needed" to be; since its never had problems before.

You should always update your programs to the latest update because those updates fix bugs and other issues, as well as including new features.

Official Employee

Yes, it's good to keep it updated for security reasons as well. Let us know what other questions you have.