Community Forum

Can't Send Email - started this morning

Regular Visitor

Re: Can't Send Email - started this morning

@ComcastElla When I go to send the email It states:  'No Network Connection.  your email will be sent the next time you connect to a network'.  It then sits in the outbox until it magically connects and randomly sends.  It could be hours, days or over a week in some cases.  

This just occurred, yet I was able to send some emails an hour ago and I haven't moved.  

If I go into the settings - server settings - it processes the checking incoming server settings with no issue but then it gets hung up on the 'checking outgoing server settings' until an error pops up that states "Unable to connect to email server to verify your account information.   No response from server."

Official Employee

@tolsen35 - Could you please send me a private message with your first and last name, email address? 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

I'm sorry....just what examples? 'Not trying to be flip...I just don't understand.

@ComcastElla wrote:

@jiminindy - Thank you for letting me know. To address any issues with the server, we will need to get some examples. Would you please send me examples when you get them? 

Official Employee

@jiminindy - Oh, no worries at all. I'm sorry I was not clear. Examples of when you try to send an email and you get an error message, or it sits in Outbox longer than it supposes to. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

I started having this exact same problem with Thunderbird on my PC as of yesterday morning (May 6), having made absolutely no changes in my Thunderbird settings. I could receive emails but could no longer send them. When I'd try to send, I'd get the same error message about the server having timed out. I called Comcast, and the agent was of no help whatsoever, just wanted to tell me that it was not Comcast's fault, but Thunderbird's fault and he couldn't do anything for me.  I changed port numbers back and forth, but no difference. Tonight, on a whim, I switched the connection security setting on my outgoing SMTP server from SSL/TLS to STARTTLS. Lo and behold, I can now send e-mails again! I have no idea why it worked, nor do I know what difference the security settings make, but I now have successfully restored Thunderbird's ability to send  e-mails. Perhpas it's worth it for others to try.

Official Employee

you had, but Hi @rbpettit1

Welcome to the Xfinity Forums. Thank you for sharing the experience you had when you were not able to send email messages. We apologize for the inconvenience but are very happy you were able to find a resolution when changing your Thunderbird security settings. We appreciate you providing your feedback and the steps you took to fix things on your end. We hope this is will be helpful to others who are still having problems. Thank you. 

Contributor

rbpettit, I hope you read this thread from beginning to end, but I doubt it.  If you had, you'd know that this is an issue that comes and goes. I hope you'll come back in a day or two or a week and tell us whether your "solution" continues to work. We try things on our end, including the one you just described, and lo and behold, it's a miracle (sorry, I love quoting one of my favorite movies) only to find it doesn't work a day or week or month later. We're pretty convinced this is a Comcast server issue. ComcastElla, please continue to try to work this issue on your end.

Contributor

Of course, it is working flawlessly right now, with the exception of once in a while it takes several seconds to send. !!!

Thanks.

@ComcastElla wrote:

@jiminindy - Oh, no worries at all. I'm sorry I was not clear. Examples of when you try to send an email and you get an error message, or it sits in Outbox longer than it supposes to. 

Official Employee

Re: Part 3 for kbouter1 reply below-smtp fails

Let us know if that changes!

New Poster

I'm monitoring it daily,. I'll let you know if there's a relapse. Thanks for the warning.

Contributor

@ComcastElla wrote:

Hi, Ella:

Just a few minutes ago, 1140 our time, it took about 15 seconds to send a simple text email to an eastlink.ca address. No errors, just very slow. I realize this is out of country, but is typical even for local traffic. 'Haven't had a total failure recently.

Thanks,

jim

Contributor

Hi, Ella:

Lately, after all the suggestions the last several days re this problem, my SMTP email has been working, but the first of a session seems to take 15 or 20 seconds to make the connection then the susequent during the same session are a bit faster.

Last night, just on a hunch I went to my Win8.1 control panel and dropped my UAC down to the minimum setting and my SMTP has been snappy ever since. My outgoing is gone RIGHT NOW! I know...success is fleeting with this problem, but it hasn't been this snappy for some time and I felt I should share this.

Thanks for your time.

Contributor

I've been out of the country for over a week, so I don't know if I'm still having the problem, but thankfully you are monitoring. The Comcast people are passing no attention to the actual problem! 😀
Official Employee

Hello all, 

@rbpettit1 - Please let me know if you notice any issues. Thank you!

@jiminindy - Thank you so much for keeping me updated. Delays may happen from time to time but email should not stay in Outgoing folders for more than a couple of minutes. 

@Daniel_K - We are here to address the issue to the engineering team. I'm sorry that we didn't pick up this thread earlier. Please let me know if you get any issues. 

Regular Visitor

Just happened to me today. I am using web based comcast email and I receive but cannot send. Interestingly, I can use my phone for email just fine. It is the comcast web based that is slow to receive and absolutely will not send.

Contributor

Thanks for your input, dstombres. Because I saw your post right away, I decided to try sending emails from Thunderbird as well as Comcast. I was able to send email in both cases. This is really a perplexing issue. I have not had a problem with Thunderbird in around a week. No time to declare victory, however, given the intermittant nature of this problem.

Official Employee

@dstombres - Could you please send me a private message with an example? I will check if there any issues. 

Regular Visitor

HOw do i send you a private message?

Regular Visitor

how do i send you a private message? 

Official Employee

@dstombres - Click on my name ComcastElla, then click Send a message.

Regular Visitor

I just developed this problem today.  I use Thunderbird 60.7.0 (32-bit) Win7.  I can recieve, but can't send emails.

Error:  (An error occurred while sending mail: The mail server sent an incorrect greeting: resomta-ch2-03v.sys.comcast.net resomta-ch2-03v.sys.comcast.net CSI IP 199.66.65.28 is not permitted to send messages. Please contact support if you feel this is in error..)

My settings have not cahnged for several years.  Not a firewall or Antiivirus problem, nothing has changed on my PC.  (smtp.comcast.net,  SSL/TLS, Normal password, 465)

Tried pop3, different ports, STARTTLS, nothing works.      

Contributor

OverBurn, it looks like you have a pretty specific issue that should easily be diagnosed by Comcast. I hope someone logs on here and can address it for you. I use Thunderbird as well. My message was: "Sending of the message failed. The message could not be sent because the connection to Outgoing server (SMTP) smtp.comcast.net timed out. Try again." I never got a satisfactory answer to this problem, but I am on a good run now. No issues sending email for six weeks. However, I expect the issue to return at some point. It always has. Good luck.

Official Employee

Hey OverBurn and virginiabuckeye, please send me a private message with your full name so I can get you in contact with our advanced repair technicians to resolve this issue for you. It does sound like a server or provisioning error on our end so I'll have tech ops take a look. 

Ken

New Poster

I can’t send emails either. I reply it says sent it is in my sent mail but never gets sent help
Contributor

This is funny. Over month ago several of us were having the same problem not being able to send emails. No one from Comcast helped us. Thankfully the problem went away.
Regular Visitor

Turns out my IP was part of a shared carrier-grade NAT, and shouldn't have been listed, I don't even really know what that means :-).   I guess I was put on some type of abuse list by accident.   Not sure how or why, I send less than one email per day and I don't have any virus bot or anything of the sort.

Anyway the prblem has been fixed.

Contributor

Thanks for letting us know, OverBurn. I didn't think your problem was similar to mine. I would love it if Comcast would provide a more descriptive error message than "Sending of the message failed. The message could not be sent because the connection to Outgoing server (SMTP) smtp.comcast.net timed out. Try again." That can go on for days and doesn't help anyone diagnose the problem, apparently.

Contributor

I've been fiddling with mine for months now and every once in a while thought I had the fix for both slow/no connects and slow/no SMTP service. I thought of going to IMAP format, but would have to use a totally new username and that was NOT going to be an option since we pay most of our bills online and that change would be a nightmare of its own.

Then just a few minutes ago I made a few minor changes and things are working lightning fast - right now. Regardless, the POP server setting I used for years was "mail.comcast.net". Just for grins, I changed it to the new suggested "pop3.comcast.net". I have sent myself several test messages and they all go out as soon as I click send rather than waiting 30 seconds to see if the fail and are received BAM! No waiting.  Of course this setting comes with the obligatory SSL/TLS, normal password and port 995.

SMTP server is the usual "smtp.comcast.net" and port 465, again, normal password and SSL/TLS. I just sent another test email to myself and all is working well  sending and receiving. Praise be - for now. Good luck.

Contributor

Oh, well.

My fix worked for several days then a few minutes ago I sent a simple text email response to a friend and got the following error message:

"Sending of the message failed.
The message could not be sent because the connection to Outgoing server (SMTP) smtp.comcast.net timed out. Try again."

Drat!

Contributor

Addendum to my last....when trying to download email, I now get "Connection to server pop3.comcsat.net was reset."

All was working well for days with no settings changes.

Contributor

Thanks for getting back to us, jiminindy. Every time I click "Send" I'm holding my breath to see if the message actually gets sent. I do not believe this issue is user-based, but is actually a glitch with Comcast's servers. I also have a problem that I've raised in this forum with Comcast waiting hours to forward messages to my computer. The messages arrive at their servers, but they do not make it to my Comcast inbox or my computer for hours. They seem to be hung up somewhere in Comcast and we have to wait patiently for Comcast to process and forward them. If it was one message among many, I could understand. Maybe the message was flagged and needed to be examined more closely. However, when these delays happen, they affect every message that's sent to me and others and lasts for hours. As long as Comcast employees wait days before coming on this forum to address either these issues, they will never solve them because the issues go away before they arrive.

Official Employee

Hi all, 

Please confirm your email settings using this link: 

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/email-client-programs-with-xfinity-email

If your settings match, please send me a private message with your full name for assistance. Click my name and then on the next page, you'll see an option to send me a private message on the top right-hand side.  

Contributor

These settings do not work on Thunderbird. When I try to get messages, I get the following error: "An error occurred with the POP3 mail server. Mail server imap.comcast.net responded:"

When I try to send messages, I get this:"Sending of the message failed.
The message could not be sent because the connection to Outgoing server (SMTP) smtp.comcast.net timed out. Try again."

Official Employee

virginiabuckeye, thanks for clarifying. Are you able to send messages on the XFINITY Connect appsuite? 

Ken

Contributor

I can send and receive messages with no problem (at the moment) when I use these settings:

Server Name: mail.comcast.net; Port: 995; Security: SSL/TLS

Outgoing Server Name: smtp.comcast.net; Port: 465; Security: SSL/TLS

Official Employee

I can send and receive messages with no problem (at the moment) when I use these settings:

Server Name: mail.comcast.net; Port: 995; Security: SSL/TLS

Outgoing Server Name: smtp.comcast.net; Port: 465; Security: SSL/TLS

virginiabuckeye, awesome, let me know if that changes! I know Port 465 is to be used for smtp as needed.

Contributor

If I use imap as suggested in this post:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/email-client-programs-with-xfinity-email

instead of pop3, the setup demands that I set up another account, as in different name. That doesn't work for me because so much of our "official business" communication is based on our existing address that we've had for years, thus it would take weeks to change it all. If the only plus to imap is syncing, I'm good.

Contributor

At 1959 est I sent a test message to myself and it was sent and recieved almost immediately.

At 2000 I sent a reply to a friend and it failed the first time, just spinning its wheels. I finally cancelled the send and a few seconds later tried again and it went immediately.

One thought, I live in basically a rural area, but near a couple additions and I am at the end of this particular cable line. It seems during prime time (evenings) it gets more difficult to send and receive.

Contributor

Then at 2048 I sent an email with several images and it went immediately!

Official Employee

Good afternoon, jiminindy. In this link you can see the differences between IMAP and POP: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/switch-email-pop-to-imap. Have you by chance (as an alternative)attempted to send/receive email through the native Xfinity webmail portal during prime time to see if you experience the same delay there? If not, would you been willing to try that and keep us posted on the end result?

Contributor

I turned down imap because I'd have to start a new account under a different username. I have no intention of going through a couple weeks of notifications that my username has changed. That would almost be as much trouble as changing my residence address. No thanks.

I don't recall trying email directly from my xfinity, but i will keep that in mind. The problem, though, is sporadic. One minute it's fine, the next it struggles.

I still believe it's our rural location.

Thanks.

jc

Official Employee

Thanks, JC. The best way to narrow it down would be to confirm whether or not the delay happens at all ever, using the native Comcast site. Appreciate your time.

Contributor

@ComcastMorgan wrote:

Thanks, JC. The best way to narrow it down would be to confirm whether or not the delay happens at all ever, using the native Comcast site. Appreciate your time.

Yes, I do experience the same thing on Myxfinity, BUT..........Is my face red?? I have experienced a revelation, it seems. In discussing this with my wife, she (who has her own laptop) said she never has a problem with using Firefox mail client in Xfinity mail. Being a non-believer of OTHER nearly 80 year olds, I ask her to demonstrate.  She sent me an email and I receieved it, immediately at the same time of day that I was having both sending and receiving.

I have gone through several desktops and laptops since going with Comcast. As I look back, this is the only machine on which I've had this problem.

So, I believe this is one of those, "My bad!" situations. My apoplogies and thanks for your patience.

Jim Cox 

New Poster

I'm joining the long list of folks who can't connect to the smtp server.  I haven't seen any clear solutions.  Has anyone posted a definitive answer to the issue?  Any suggestions?

1.  No outgoing mail on multiple AppleOS computers (not phones).

2. Outgoing mail on other secondary accounts and other AppleOS computers works.

3. Mail in other (noncomcast mail) accounts works.

4.  Have check all settings. - set as directed by Xfinity Support

5.  Urban network (Portland, OR)

Contributor

Thanks for this message, wmspdx. The issue I posted that started this thread was an intermittant one. Comcast employees who get on here don't read the original posts and think they are trying to solve an ongoing issue. The only ongoing aspect of this issue is that after each occurrence, the issue goes away after a few days and life goes on - until the next occurrence a month, two months or six months later. It would seem to be an issue that could be resolved if they would just look into it more deeply. I think it's a Comcast server problem. I use the latest, most up-to-date version of Thunderbird on Windows 10. My message is: "Sending of the message failed. The message could not be sent because the connection to Outgoing server (SMTP) smtp.comcast.net timed out. Try again." This will continue for a day or two then resolve itself. The best explanation I saw came from Scheinbergh who said on April 29:

"Problem with SMTP server.

Pinging to smtp.comcast.net fails with IPv6 address [2001:558:fe21:2a::5].

Pinging to smtp.comcast.net succeeds with IPv6 address [2001:558:fe16:1b::16].

This means that it's a toss-up if you reach the GOOD server  [2001:558:fe16:1b::16] or the BAD server [2001:558:fe21:2a::5].  I hope Comcast will address this soon.

Hal"

I don't know how to determine which servers I'm encountering when trying to send mail. This is a good place for Comcast to start looking for answers.

New Poster

I have been struggling with this issue all morning as well

SMTP connection works fine with Ourlook on my PC

SMTP Connection works fine on my iPhone using Outlook for iOS

SMTP will NOT connect on my iPad using Outlook for iOS

I have deleted and reinstalled the App

I have changed the ports

Finally I deleted Outlook for iOS and set up the account in the native mail App for the iPad and everything works just fine.

Beyond frustrated and walking away from this for a while.  I wanted to just keep everything on Outlook for consistent look and feel.  

Hopefully they sort this out soon.

Russ

Contributor

I feel your pain, but your issue is not the same as the one that started this thread. You seem to have a problem getting Outlook for iOS working on your iPad. You might try contacting Apple to see what the problem is. You could also start a new thread here.

Official Employee

Hey, virginiabuckeye. I hope you are having a good day. I apologize to hear of the issue you are still running into with the sending email. Certainly frustrating, to say the least. I would like to take a closer look into this for you. Can you please send me a PM with your first and last name so I may further assist you?

To send a private message, please click my name "ComcastMichael" then select "Send a Message" on the right side.

New Poster

All, same error message as repeatedly posted by others.

Problem just started within last week or so.

Use AVG, went to their settings and unclicked 'scan outgoing emails', rebooted and it seems to be working (at least for a couple of test emails). hope this helps.

Official Employee

Hi @Davis1601

Thank you for sharing. If you have any more issues, please let us know. We'd be happy to help.