Community Forum

Blocked URLS getting crazy

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Blocked URLS getting crazy

I recently noticed that I can't access my personal portfolio page, iamrevolver.com,  from my xFinity service, but I can via LTE and the site shows up as live on all "down url" trackers I try. What's going on?

It's getting a bit wide too, sites like pusciferlive.com (the tour site for the band Puscifer, not dangerous), outofprint.com (a literary merch site, not dangerous), and several others I try are simply not loading on my home network but work fine when I turn off the wifi on my phone. This checks out across all devices on my home network, so I'm sure it's not just a device specific issue.

Highlighted
Expert

Re: Blocked URLS getting crazy

Try disabling the Xfi Advanced Security feature as a work-around for now and see. It's buggy ! And there is currently no way for an end-user to be able to whitelist anything;

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/using-xfinity-xfi-advanced-security

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

That's all well and good for me personally, but when prospective clients that are using Comcast/xFinity as a provider go to view my work, they'll get bounced if they have this on and won't know anything other than that my work is unavailable to them. This is unacceptable and the site is utterly safe. It's a squarespace site, and I can even access the admin side of it perfectly fine... just not the site itself. Why is it being blocked at all?

Highlighted
Expert

Yes. I know. Sorry. It sounded like it was just for you..

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Who can I call about whitelisting URLs at the Comcast level? The xFi Advanced Security worked to let me access my personal portfolio site, but not any of the other perfectly safe sites that I listed, and then some. I seem to find new ones daily and it's infuriating. And again, for all I know my personal site is blocked on every other comcast user's device that still has the advanced security turned on.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

You disabled the advanced security and still can't get to those sites?  I can get to them from here. (I use my own modem/router.)

Highlighted
Expert

@traviscommeau wrote:

Who can I call about whitelisting URLs at the Comcast level? The xFi Advanced Security worked to let me access my personal portfolio site, but not any of the other perfectly safe sites that I listed, and then some. I seem to find new ones daily and it's infuriating. And again, for all I know my personal site is blocked on every other comcast user's device that still has the advanced security turned on.

Perhaps running traceroutes to those domains may reveal where the blockages are occurring ?

And to answer your question, you can try contacting the folks at this department but I don't know what the outcome will be. YMMV. Good luck !;

Comcast Customer Security Assurance.

Business Hours: 6:00am - 2:00am EST, 7 days a week

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

@EG wrote:

@traviscommeau wrote:

Perhaps running traceroutes to those domains may reveal where the blockages are occurring ?

And to answer your question, you can try contacting the folks at this department but I don't know what the outcome will be. YMMV. Good luck !;

Now it's blocking sodastream.com for god's sake. When I run a look into IP blacklisting, every single URL/IP I check is blocked by only ONE blacklister. STOP USING THAT ONE! This is infuriating. 

sodastream.com

iamrevolver.com

outofprint.com

All totally safe, all ONLY blacklisted by dnsbl.spfbl.net and greenlit by literally every other service.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

@strega7 wrote:

You disabled the advanced security and still can't get to those sites?  I can get to them from here. (I use my own modem/router.)

My personal site is now accessible - but again, if anyone else tries to get to it and hasn't turned off the advanced protection (why would they?), they I have no recourse to correct the problem and they just think "Oh, this guy can't even get his site to load. Next!"

And additionally, the other sites I've bounced on are still being blocked. 

Highlighted
Expert

Have you tried contacting this team ?;