Community Forum

Any Comcast email config changes 12/8/18 or after?

Contributor

Any Comcast email config changes 12/8/18 or after?

I have several email accounts on various systems.  I just realized today that I hadn't gotten any new emails on my iPhone from my Comcast account since 12/8!!!  (Friday, a week and a half ago)  I did not change anything on my end.  I have no problem on my laptop using webmail, but I did notice when I accessed webmail it started showing me a video of what's changed, so I know Comcast did something that caused my iPhone settings not to work anymore.

I already have one Comcast account that stopped working on  my iPhone on 1/25/16 and I've been using the Connect app for that. I was on the phone with customer care several times back then but finally gave up.  But now, I don't have that option because I can't get Connect to remember two separate account passwords and it would be a pain to have to keep logging in/out every time I want to check my email.

I would rather use pop than imap.  Did something happen to mail.comcast.net (port 995) so I can no longer use it for incoming mail?  How do I fix?

Contributor

Re: Any Comcast email config changes 12/8/18 or after?

Many of us have posted here and called comcast about it.  Over the phone they blame outlook, here...  well no one has shown up to see there's a problem with their email servers to fix it. 

New Poster

I, too, have not been able to receive/compose/send any new e-mails on my old ipod touch since 12/18.  My sense is that conversion to the new e-mail format (which I don't like-seems dumbed down or simplified with icons instead of words) is not supported by my old operating system IOS-6.  I'm able to use comcast email on my old Mac, but not on my ipod touch.  Frustrating.  When I have a moment, I will try to find out if this is the case.  Might you have an older operating system too?

Contributor

I don't have any official answers, but I added a new account to my iPhone and it automatically populated it with imap.comcast.net port  993 in the settings and it works.  The POP3 email seems to have gone away so email.comcast.net doesn't seem to work.

So what's the difference between POP3 and iMAP?  How can I get it not to delete on the server?

Expert

suelynn2z wrote:

I don't have any official answers, but I added a new account to my iPhone and it automatically populated it with imap.comcast.net port  993 in the settings and it works.  The POP3 email seems to have gone away so email.comcast.net doesn't seem to work.

So what's the difference between POP3 and iMAP?  How can I get it not to delete on the server?

POP3 has not gone away.  Comcast still supports it, but you would need to configure the account manually on the phone, which is a bit of a job.  POP3 harkens back to a time when most people using an email client like Outlook Express, Thunderbird, Eudora and others, had vastly less storage available to them from their ISP, and only one computer.  In order to conserve that space, the default in POP is that it downloads the emails to the client and then deletes them from the server.   You can, of course, set the client to leave it on the server as well, but the default is that it will delete it.

Now enter the world where just about everyone on the internet has more than one computer or mobile device, and the whole picture changes.  IMAP keeps everything synced on multiple devices when you have the same account enabled on them so that anything you do to an email on one is reflected on all of them.  POP3 is just not well suited for the multi-device environment.  See here for more----------------

https://askleo.com/what_is_imap_and_how_can_it_help_me_manage_my_email/