Community Forum

An email Attachment Issue

Contributor

An email Attachment Issue

Email Issue

How do I remove an attachment from email I want to send ? There is an attachment on EVERY email I want to send and I cannot sort out how to remove it. It has personal information on it that I do not want circulated. How to remove please

Frequent Visitor

Re: An email Attachment Issue

You didn't make it clear what program you are using to compose and send your emails.  Most programs have a way to identify some kind of "signature" file that gets added to the bottom of what you write, or gets attached to the email when you send it.  That sounds like what you might be talking about. 

If that's it, then you need to look at the settings for your email program, find where it gets the "signature" from (it might be text that got entered into and saved by the program, or it might be coming from a file on your system, it will depend on the email program) and either clean out the signature, or tell the program you don't want it to include the signature information.

The details of how to do this vary from one email program to the next, and even if I knew what program you're using, unless I was already familiar with it, I might not be able to tell you how to get rid of the signature.

Gold Problem Solver

@Jawbreaker5 wrote: ... There is an attachment on EVERY email I want to send ...

If you are asking about the the "Attachments" link in the Compose window of Comcast's Open-Xchange "Appsuite" webmail ("...connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/..."), the link isn't sent with your email and doesn't attach anything unless you use it to select files you want to send. Try it -- send a test message to yourself and you'll see that the link is not present in the received email.

It's a very poor user interface design, but harmless otherwise.

Contributor

Thanks Bruce W. You are correct I did what you suggested and there was not anything attached. Any reasoning as to why the "attachment" is even on the email I'm composing ? Crazy! But thanks!

Contributor

I'm using Comcast mail. The issue has been resolved via the reply from Bruce W. Thanks!

Frequent Visitor

I have the same issue with Comcast.net the attachment that was sent before still showing up when I want to send a different attachment. In other words when I click on attachment to load something the previous attachment comes up even if I don't have an address entered.

Regular Visitor

That's all fine and good as a tip to ignore the problem.  But that does not answer the question of how to stop the attachments from randomly  appearing there to begin with?  

Comcast, we shouldn't have to deal with this and you should fix it, if you are capable of it, so we do not have to deal with it!  If I were you, I'd be totally embarrased as this speaks volumes about your quality assurance or lack of.

Contributor

What I learned is this: Even though it says there is an attachment, there isn't. Try this attach one of your files or a picture and send it to your self I think you will find that whatever you attached will be there and nothing else. Or don't attach anything and send that to your senlf there will be nothing there. This is a years old problem,You would think by now it would be solved. Why is the word Attachment even there to begin with. I got so fed up with it I switched to Outlook mail, which is another option since it will go to Comcast anyway, if thats your email address, and Comcast will forward it to you. That works fine for me. As I said before Crazy! Unless your issue is different from what my issue was that is how I worked around it.

Regular Visitor

I just spent 1.5 hr on the phone with comcast.  I spoke with 4 different people each supposedly at a higher level than the one who transferred me.  After number 4, I was told that yet a higher level person (#5) would need to be involved and would call me with the resolution.  You mentioned that this problem has been around for years and so have I but this only started happening to me a few months ago.  Also, person number 4 said he'd never heard of this and that's why person 5 will be calling.  I am holding out very little hope that I get any kind of resolution from them or they will say "it's always been that way".  I am now thinking that circumventing the issue as you suggested may the the only remedy.  

Thanks for your help.  It's been a lot more constructive than there's.

If they do surprise me with a resolution, I'll post it.

Contributor

Good luck I hope you get it resolved. You have more patience that me. I wonder why the techie doesn't look at their mail web site and view the " attachment" themselves??
New Poster

Thanks Jawbreaker5, were you ever able to permanently delete the attachment and what causes same. It just appeared on my computer recently ! 

Gold Problem Solver

@marmie66 wrote: ... were you ever able to permanently delete the attachment ...

Like I wrote back in May:

If you are asking about the the "Attachments" link in the Compose window of Comcast's Open-Xchange "Appsuite" webmail ("...connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/..."), the link isn't sent with your email and doesn't attach anything unless you use it to select files you want to send. Try it -- send a test message to yourself and you'll see that the link is not present in the received email.

It's a very poor user interface design, but harmless otherwise.

Regular Visitor

I've read over the collection of comments on this issue.   My anomalous problem seems highly correlated with others in this thread.   The paperclip icon and Attachment (in blue) command are automatically attached at the point of composition of e-mail messages.   When I click on the command it attaches a huge (200,000 word) doc from my files to any e-mail, although I haven't requested an attachment.   I spent at least 5 hours with Comcast support staffers, to no avail   The last guy did seeningly manage to eliminate the document (but not the icon or Attachment clickable) from outgoing e-mails.   Presumably, then, people will not arbitrarily get my document inadvertently.  However, the command is still in place on the Compose page.  Moreover, I'm not able to attach (voluntarily by choice) a document or picture.   Operating via another e-mail systerm doesn't seem like a viable solution.   Any suggestions?   

Regular Visitor

An addendum to previous comment.   I do not regard this as a harmless, slightly annoying issue.  When one cannot have confidence that recipients aren't receiving unwanted or private attachments inadvertently, they're being ill-served by the service for which they're paying a monthly fee.   One would think that Comcast would actively seek a solution to the glitch if for no other reason than that they risk losing us disgruntled customers.   So, coming up with methods for circumventing the problem by convoluted paths does not seem acceptable.   I've used my current computer and Comcast e-mail set-up unchanged for over 8 years.  Why the sudden change?   Why won't they address the flaw with some degree of urgency?

Expert

@mnzanger wrote:

I've read over the collection of comments on this issue.   My anomalous problem seems highly correlated with others in this thread.   The paperclip icon and Attachment (in blue) command are automatically attached at the point of composition of e-mail messages.   When I click on the command it attaches a huge (200,000 word) doc from my files to any e-mail, although I haven't requested an attachment.   I spent at least 5 hours with Comcast support staffers, to no avail   The last guy did seeningly manage to eliminate the document (but not the icon or Attachment clickable) from outgoing e-mails.   Presumably, then, people will not arbitrarily get my document inadvertently.  However, the command is still in place on the Compose page.  Moreover, I'm not able to attach (voluntarily by choice) a document or picture.   Operating via another e-mail systerm doesn't seem like a viable solution.   Any suggestions?   

Did you read BruceW's post right above yours?  The only way to attach anything to an outgoing email is to click on "Attachments", then navigate to the one you want to send and click on "Open" at the bottom of that window.  It's just a link, not an actual attachment.  Send yourself a test email at some other email account you have like Yahoo or something to check it.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Thanks for taking time to respond. I'm well aware of how to attach docs to e-mail. Been doing it for eons. However, in this flawed environment, the compose page will not allow any attachment except throne it's already affixed (without my request) to the message. It attaches a monster 200,000! word doc.
New Poster

Responding to MNZANGERS two posts dated 11/29/2018. I totally agree with mnzangers posts. Having tested this by emailing myself emails, without the attachment being forwarded, how assured  can we be that this attachment doesn't at some time be forwarded. I have personal info in this attachment. I'm not sure how long this attachment has been on my forwarded emails. I had to switch from Charter, which I was very satisfied with, to Comcast after moving and didn't notice  that attachment until recently. I have also called Comcast "Help" line, chated online with their reps to no avail. Most didn't know what I was talking about. There is no excuse for Comcast not solving this problem. One has to wonder why this appeared in the first place. Comcast must fix this problem.

Contributor

I dont use that mail system any longer. I do believe that if you send yourself an email I think you will find nothing attached there even though it says attachment. It seems like it would be a simple fix, but after several years it is still there i guess. Common sense required.
Expert

@Jawbreaker5 wrote:
I dont use that mail system any longer. I do believe that if you send yourself an email I think you will find nothing attached there even though it says attachment. It seems like it would be a simple fix, but after several years it is still there i guess. Common sense required.

The link is just that------a link to prompt you to navigate to a file and then attach it to the email.  It is not, itself, an attachment.  Soon it will be changed to "Attach Files" or some such to avoid confusion.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Amazingly, despite my expressed cynicism, I got two calls from "higher level" tech at Comcast. I will call them back this afternoon; they are #34 in my queue and currently being subjected to disco elevator music from the '70s. Hope they can solve problem. Can't make new attachments; wary of omnipresent icon on Compose; considering switch to Gmail
Contributor

I switched to outlook. Comcast forwards my email. I have no problems with that arrangement. 4 yesrs now.
Regular Visitor

Thanks loads. Were you able to preserve your archive of e-mails?
Regular Visitor

Update: wasted another 45 minutes redescribing Attachmebt malady to yet another (12 th) Comcast expert. Once again Ibwas told that further study by "higher level" techs was necessary and they would call me back in 3 hours. As anticipated, no such call came;!nie 14 hours have elapsed. Curious way to run a railroad!