Community Forum

All previous Comcast Inbox mail disappeared on December 24th

New Poster

All previous Comcast Inbox mail disappeared on December 24th

On December 24th all my previously saved Comcast Inbox mail disappeared.  I called Comcast Customer Service and they couldn't help and did not call back with solution as promised.  Sent mail is fine and my wife's account wasn't affected.  Did this happen to anybody else?  Is there any way to get my email back?

Expert

Re: All previous Comcast Inbox mail disappeared on December 24th

If you are still on the old email format, check your deletion schedules to make sure they are set the way you want them. From the Inbox page, go to Preferences>>>>Email, and look about halfway down the list to "Email Deletion Schedules". If it's not that, then as a precaution I would change your password to something stronger than whatever it is right now, and also change your secret question and answer. Suddenly vanishing emails is a common sign of a malware infection, or a compromised account. Run a complete scan of your machine with your A/V software to see if it finds anything wrong. There are no editable deletion schedules in the new format.

Also, do you have another device like a smartphone or tablet with the account enabled on it? If so it may be downloading and then deleting the messages from the server. Check all the settings in it to see if that's what's going on.

New Poster

Re: All previous Comcast Inbox mail disappeared on December 24th

I appreciate your response.  It would have been nice if the Comcast customer service rep would have been as helpful after spending a half hour on the phone.

I must have the new e-mail system since there doesn't appear to be a Preference option.

I have all Apple devices, so I didn't think of Malware.  I will change my security setting because all my inbox email disappeared again on Jauary 1st. Again, it only affected my Comcast inbox.

I do have other devices that access my e-mail account, but they are all IMAP accounts which keeps everything on the server.