Community Forum

ANOTHER spam problem

Contributor

ANOTHER spam problem

I finally got my account to start sending tons of spam to my spam folder.  Now I find that numerous valid emails are going to my spam folder and I'm helpless to get them to my In-Box.

I hit "Not spam" and they disappear completely (not in the Inbox, not in trash, and no longer in the spam folder).

I select "Move to Inbox" and they disappear completely.

I go to filter settings and I set the emails from that source to go to the Inbox.  They still go to the spam folder.

I can't do anything with the spam email (respond, etc.) when it's in the spam folder because Comcast blocks everything out in the email itself.

Any solutions?  I don't need to hear, "I don't have that problem."  I'd like to resolve this.  Among other problems with their email, Comcast has yet to fix this one.

Expert

Re: ANOTHER spam problem

@afohara wrote:

I finally got my account to start sending tons of spam to my spam folder.  Now I find that numerous valid emails are going to my spam folder and I'm helpless to get them to my In-Box.

I hit "Not spam" and they disappear completely (not in the Inbox, not in trash, and no longer in the spam folder).

I select "Move to Inbox" and they disappear completely.

I go to filter settings and I set the emails from that source to go to the Inbox.  They still go to the spam folder.

I can't do anything with the spam email (respond, etc.) when it's in the spam folder because Comcast blocks everything out in the email itself.

Any solutions?  I don't need to hear, "I don't have that problem."  I'd like to resolve this.  Among other problems with their email, Comcast has yet to fix this one.

What did you do to get spam going into your Spam folder?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Expert

When I mark an email as not spam, it usually takes up to a few minutes before the email shows up in my inbox. Because of that, it seems to disappear, but eventually shows up in the order it was originally received. Have you noticed if any reappear if you wait a bit?

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

Generally, I use the "Filter Rules" in "settings."  I was getting 20 and 30 spams a day to my In Box.  It took a while, but I finally got it to work.  I filter them by the sender, using just the "@abcde.com" of the sender. After numerous exchanges on this forum (SPAM MAIL INCREASE, OCT 2018), it's like someone with Comcast finally realized the filter wasn't working as designed and got it going.  Simply marking them as spam didn't work at all, prior to that.

I've had good luck until recently, when I've noticed more and more valid emails going to my spam folder, now, even though I continue, one by one, to filter the addresses.  The result is what I described--when I try various ways to get them out of the spam folder, they disappear completely.

Contributor

Expert

When I mark an email as not spam, it usually takes up to a few minutes before the email shows up in my inbox. Because of that, it seems to disappear, but eventually shows up in the order it was originally received. Have you noticed if any reappear if you wait a bit?

A valid suggestion.  I don't think so, but I'll try that and give it a few hours to show up, just in case.  Thanks!

Contributor

@afohara wrote:

Expert

A valid suggestion.  I don't think so, but I'll try that and give it a few hours to show up, just in case.  Thanks!

Again, thanks for the suggestion.  I gave it overnight with no success.  I tagged a couple as "Not spam" last night and they disappeared and can't be found this morning.  They never showed up in my In box.  I tagged a couple of others, last night, as "Move to In box" and they disappeared and still can't be found.  One, which is my BANK, I have set in the filter settings as "Send to In box."  They still show up in the spam folder.  I can't do anything with them then, such as reply, because Comcast blocks out the text and links.  As usual, they disappear when I try to recover them.

I called Comcast Support and, as usual, they were amazed and had no idea what to do.  They sent it up a level, and from experience I doubt they'll do any better.

Expert

@afohara wrote:

@afohara wrote:

Expert

Again, thanks for the suggestion.  I gave it overnight with no success.  I tagged a couple as "Not spam" last night and they disappeared and can't be found this morning.  They never showed up in my In box.  I tagged a couple of others, last night, as "Move to In box" and they disappeared and still can't be found.  One, which is my BANK, I have set in the filter settings as "Send to In box."  They still show up in the spam folder.  I can't do anything with them then, such as reply, because Comcast blocks out the text and links.  As usual, they disappear when I try to recover them.

I called Comcast Support and, as usual, they were amazed and had no idea what to do.  They sent it up a level, and from experience I doubt they'll do any better.

When you mark something as not spam, it should go back to the Inbox in the chronological order you got it.  So if you mark a message as not spam that you got a week ago, you will have to scroll down the list to find it.  It won't be at the top of the list.

Did you try running a search for any of the ones you had marked as Not Spam?

Contributor

@Latoque wrote:

@afohara wrote:

@afohara wrote:

Expert

When you mark something as not spam, it should go back to the Inbox in the chronological order you got it.  So if you mark a message as not spam that you got a week ago, you will have to scroll down the list to find it.  It won't be at the top of the list.

Hm!  I think I would have noticed, as I check it a couple of times a day--but I am going to test it with a couple from my spam folder.  Thanks--will let you know.

Contributor

@afohara wrote:

@Latoque wrote:

@afohara wrote:

@afohara wrote:

Expert

Hm!  I think I would have noticed, as I check it a couple of times a day--but I am going to test it with a couple from my spam folder.  Thanks--will let you know.

You nailed it--they often show up down the list--but in chronological order.  Don't know why that didn't occur to me.  Also, it does sometimes take a while for them to show up in the InBox.  When they don't show up quickly, I do a search and they show up as already in my Inbox--and a short time later they do appear there.  That's good for me!  Thanks for the advice and nudge!

Expert

@afohara wrote:

@afohara wrote:

@Latoque wrote:

@afohara wrote:

@afohara wrote:

Expert

You nailed it--they often show up down the list--but in chronological order.  Don't know why that didn't occur to me.  Also, it does sometimes take a while for them to show up in the InBox.  When they don't show up quickly, I do a search and they show up as already in my Inbox--and a short time later they do appear there.  That's good for me!  Thanks for the advice and nudge!

Outstanding!  keep in mind too, that the same thing will happen if you just move an email from another folder back to the Inbox.  So if you move a 10-day old message from Trash or a local folder back to the Inbox, it should be in correct chronological order.  The same applies if you move an email from any other folder to another too.  It's not just for marking something as Not Spam.  The exception would be this;  say you had changed the sorting criteria in a folder from date to "subject".  If you then move a message from the Inbox or any other folder into that folder, it would be in the correct order based on the subject line, and not the date.  Make sense?  When you change the sort order in a folder, it will hold it until you deliberately change it back again.