Community Forum

50K emails disappeared

Frequent Visitor

50K emails disappeared

Sometime today 50K emails going back 14 years disappeared from my phone (iPhone SE, iOS 11.4), which is the only device I've accessed Comcast email with over the last 8 months. Checked on a desktop browser (Win 10, Chrome and IE) and have the same emails my phone shows, which date back less than 24 hours. We left Comcast for Fios 8 months ago but with the understanding the email account would still be active (which it is, can send and receive without issues) but my call to customer service proved futile as I now wait for a call back from account security (no clue what they can do for me) since the CS rep had no answers. While I wait for Security to call, any idea what the issue is or who to talk to for resolution?
Frequent Visitor

Re: 50K emails disappeared

Quick followup, just checked sent emails both on my phone and in the browser and they still exist but only back to 2014.
Expert

Do you have the account enabled in a desktop email client like Outlook or Thunderbird using POP3?  Or in a mobile app using POP3?  If so, it may be downloading the emails when you check your account, then deleting them from the server.

Frequent Visitor

Haven’t used POP3 in over a decade. Tech support was able to restore 20k emails after a day on the phone being bounced around. Never got an answer as to where they went or how to recover the other 30k.