Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Zone communication failure

Regular Visitor

Zone communication failure

I am receiving message on Touchscreen: "Zone communication failure."  Just started.  Applies to one of the door sensors.  Removed and replaced battery.  Solved problem for a while but keeps recurring. Also, noticed flashing red light in senor (not noticed in any other sensors).  Is sensor bad? Bad batteries?  Other issues?

New Poster

Re: Zone communication failure

The sensor could be to far from the system so it is trying to get communication with the touch pad. The best way to explain it is like having your cell phone search for wi-fi all day. It will kill your batteries fast. You can move the contact with another one in your house. If you still have the same problem with that location you will need a repeater or move the touch screen closer to the area. If the old contact in a different place has the same problem then you have a bad contact. This is a simple way to test the contact. Also if you have the warranty from comcast for 4.99 a month just call and have a tech go and just change it out and run test on strength of contact.

The touch screen should tell you if the batteries are bad in the system but I think its the contact not communicating with the touch screen.

Hope this help 

Frequent Visitor

All of my zones started doing this 2 days ago. Two of my sensors are within ten feet of tbe touch screen another across the room a bit further. All show the same message and I do not think it is a battery issue because it was installed 2 months ago.
Contributor

My window sensors are doing that too.  Replaced batteries, which are fairly expensive, and still getting communication errors.  The windows are close to the touchpad. 

Contributor

I have same issues with alarm even go off at times and my problem was resolve by swapping the touch screen, i was told was a software issue with touch screen , it has be a week now since swapping and so far so good
Frequent Visitor

My issue was also resolved by replacing the touch screen device and all of the sensor batteries.

New Poster

Do the sensors need to be close to the touchscreen or to the modem? I thought they need to be close to the modem/router that is provinding the wifi. Am i worng?

I have this problem with a door sensor and already had a tech come over and swap teh device for another one, and the very next morning losses comunication. the anoying part is thaht is the alarm is armed, it triggers it!

Problem Solver

All devices communicate with the touchscreen, and then the touchscreen communicates with the Comcast router...if the touchscreen is centrally located in the house, you should not have a problem. Call Comcast and have them do a diagnostic test on the switch...
New Poster

I have been having the same issue, but this sensor is not the farthest in the home, and I have no problems with any of the other sensors..  I have also recently replaced the battery & the technician came out to reapply the sensor.  The problem went away for a while, but has come back, and I can't arm the system without turning off the zone, but I'm worried that even if I turn off the zone, the alarm will go off in the middle of the night (this has happened before).

Problem Solver

have the sensor replaced.
New Poster

we did replace the sensor, but it went off again a few days later. We moved the touchcreen to the kitchen, which is closer to the problematic sensor, and then the touchscreen lost connectivity with the xfinity router, altought a comcast wifi repeater for the home security was right next to it

The technician thaht changed the sensor did tell us that the place where comcast placed the router was in one side of the house instead of in the middle, and it might be the cause of all of it. Finally I got an appointment to get the router relocated (free of charge because it is not my fault that the first comcast technician did not put the router where it was suposed to be the most effective location)

Anyhow, after the technician passed the comcast cable from the outside box, thru the attic to the newlocation right on the middle of the house, we have had no issue again.

hope this helps!