Community Forum

Xfinity Home not compatible with other Modems/routers?

Frequent Visitor

Xfinity Home not compatible with other Modems/routers?

I originally had the XB6 modem/router, but I was getting slow speeds and range. I replaced it with a Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 modem/router from Costco and was enjoying much better range and speed. 

I recently added Xfinity Home security to my house. The tech stated that he needed to install a additional security router (Netgear WNR1000) and that I needed to pay a montly fee for it (not mentioned during agreement with the phone rep). The security router looked very old (at least early 2000's). The rep was having difficulty getting the 4th camera to get a signal, so he blamed it on the Nighthawk modem/router and said that he needed to put me back on the XB6 router for optimal signal.  Is this accurate? Why would Netgear/Comcast advertise the Nighthawk as a compatiable router? I feel like in my effort to redice fee's I am getting more enforced on me. 

My main goal is to reduce fees and eliminate Xfinity hardware. I want to go with a after market modem (Arris/TP Link/Netgear) and a Orbi mesh system. Is this not possible anymore now that I have Xfinity Home Security? Any help is greatly appreciated. 

~MM

Official Employee

Re: Xfinity Home not compatible with other Modems/routers?

There’s no charge for the necessary router. If the only thing wrong was getting a 4th camera paired, it sounds like it’s either a distance issue or possibly the 2 routers were wirelessly interfering with each other. You may have to choose which is more important, using your own equipment or dropping the 4th camera or possibly have another tech out to give another opinion

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

This is a interesting reply, only becuase camera 3 & 4 are right next to each other, so distance was not an issue IMO. I believe the installer did not want to wait to trouble shoot the issue of having the Netgear C7000 Modem/Router and Netgear WNR1000 security router working together. 

Can anyone reccommend or advise if their security systems are working with after market modems and routers, or if they are always must be used with Comcast XB3 or XB6?

~MM

Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

@Markeee_Mark wrote:

This is a interesting reply, only becuase camera 3 & 4 are right next to each other, so distance was not an issue IMO. I believe the installer did not want to wait to trouble shoot the issue of having the Netgear C7000 Modem/Router and Netgear WNR1000 security router working together. 

Can anyone reccommend or advise if their security systems are working with after market modems and routers, or if they are always must be used with Comcast XB3 or XB6?

~MM

I had a DPC3941 router rented from Comcast and had the WNR1000 and it worked.

I prefer the XB6 because it has XHome suppor and I don't need the XHome sidecar.

Plus, the XB6 is Gigabit-capable, which I now have.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!