Community Forum

XCam hooked directly to router thru switch?

Regular Visitor

XCam hooked directly to router thru switch?

I would like to hook three (3) of the xCams through a wired connection.

I would hook a Netgear 5 port switch (GS105NA) to my XHS router(WNR1000v2) via a wired ethernet connection.  The three cameras would then plug into the switch.  Is there any reason you know of that this wouldn't work?

I currently have them plugged into my XHS range extender (WN2000RPT).  They're powered through the XW3 using the hookup "Y" cable.

Thanks

Tim

Official Employee

Re: XCam hooked directly to router thru switch?

timtucker -

While that's not an officially supported configuration (i.e. a tech might not be able to fully troubleshoot on the phone or while on site with the switch in the mix), I don't see why it wouldn't work.

May I ask though why you wouldn't simply wire the cameras directly to the Security Router?

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Many thanks for the feedback!  I ended up running two (2) seperate wires this morning.  Thanks.  Tim

New Poster

when I tried using the y cable, the night vision did not work ..  how would they work using poe?