Community Forum

Would pet set off alarms?

Regular Visitor

Would pet set off alarms?

We setup our alarm yesterday as away but after about 5 minutes the security monitor called saying our alarm has been triggered.  Could our pets trip the alarms?

Official Employee

Re: Would pet set off alarms?

The motion sensors are pet friendly to about 85lbs up to 3 feet, then it's 42 lbs, but depending on what the motion sensor is facing, stairs, couches, or tables, cats can cause all sorts of false alarms.  They tend to trip the motion sensor when they get above a certain height, like when they go upstairs.

Contributor

For me, one of my pets did set off the alarm one day.  I have a motion sensor on the wall at a height of 7ft. My couch is 4ft from the wall and the back of my couch is 3ft high. One of my dogs likes to go on the top of the back of the couch and hangout. The alarm went off one day when I was out of town. It was a little bit alarming for me because my roommate was at work, I was out of state and I thought someone had broken into my house. Ugh. Since then, I ALWAYS arm it on Stay and that does not tirgger the alarmfor my dog. Oh, by the way, I have 3 dogs, all under 16lbs. The dog that goes on top of the couch is barely 10lbs, so it tells you that much about the weight the motion sensor detects. Not good.

Contributor

Well, this is sad. It takes Comcast 3 weeks to answer a question. You guys really suck. Yall need to step your game up. No wonder you have so many bad reviews. Customer Service is the key and answering people's questions on time is important in a forum as well. It reflects badly when you get a reply 3 weeks later. WOW!

New Poster

i just found this site today and I'm sure you have solved your problem, if not try this. Some motion dectors have an adjustment (pet) screw on the bottom where you can turn it towards the neg direction. This moves a inner wall insde the sensor upward to block the bottom portion of the sensor off. I don't think xfinity has this feature yet, but you can take a piece of tape to cover a portion of the sensor on the bottom. 

New Poster

Calm down
Valued Contributor

I have 3 dogs, 85 - 105lbs.  The tech who orignally installed my system several years ago recommended turning the sensor upside down so that it's area of motion detection is moved up.  Nothing below about 4 feet will set it off.  Have never had my dogs activate ours.

Official Employee

3 year old thread closed