Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Using Xfinity Gateway in bridge mode with Home Security

Regular Visitor

Using Xfinity Gateway in bridge mode with Home Security

My intention is to have the Xfinity Gateway (in bridge mode) for access, my Cisco router for directing traffic via ethernet connected to my Netgear Wireless router (upstairs) along with my Apple Airport (downstairs) as access points. I hope to be able to use our four xfinity Home security cameras with this configuration but what I think I have read is that only a particular model Netgear router will work with this. Am I understanding correctly?  

Tags (1)
Official Employee

Re: Using Xfinity Gateway in bridge mode with Home Security

Yes that is correct, installed by tech
Expert

@leeh3356 wrote:

My intention is to have the Xfinity Gateway (in bridge mode) for access, my Cisco router for directing traffic via ethernet connected to my Netgear Wireless router (upstairs) along with my Apple Airport (downstairs) as access points. I hope to be able to use our four xfinity Home security cameras with this configuration but what I think I have read is that only a particular model Netgear router will work with this. Am I understanding correctly?  

Just an FYI; my Arris XB3 gateway supports the XHome network with its own Zigbee protocol.  My XB3 is in bridge mode (turns off the XB3 wifi bands) and I use an Orbi as my router with no issues.

Regular Visitor

Thank you for your reply! Do you know which Netgear router would be installed? The Netgear router doesn't replace the Xfinity gateway does it? I don't see any Netgear routers that are not also a modem. And out of curiosity, just how do the camera's connect to the system? I would think that they were originally installed via the xfinity gateway wifi but I it seems that is not how it works? Thanks again!

Regular Visitor

Thanks for the info on the XB3 setup. I have the Xfinity DPC3941T gateway.

Official Employee

It’s a regular sidecar/router with Home security software preinstalledi, it’s in addition to what you have.
The cameras are working wirelessly through the router the same way as through the gateway