Community Forum

Returning equipment

New Poster

Returning equipment

Which pieces of equipment do I have to return.

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Returning equipment

The touchscreen and a Netgear security router if you have one. Any sensors, cameras etc are yours to do with as you please

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Re: Returning equipment

@jondiederich wrote:

Which pieces of equipment do I have to return.

You have to return everything you want a refund for. We just went through this. initially, the cancellation department told us touchscreen and router. Then, when the new alarm company came out (and offered to remove the old sensors), it dawned on me to call and confirm that's *all* they needed. When I called to confirm, I was informed that in order to get a complete refund for all the sensors we had installed (some over $900 total), I would need to return every single sensor.

So the installer removed them all and bagged them up for me to drop off at the service center.

Once the new alarm installer was done, it had cost us exactly $0 in equipment and 0$ for the install, to takeover our existing wired home alarm system with wireless sensors, siren, adding a glassbreak alarm and replacing the keypad. Heck, even our attic access is monitored with a hardwaired sensor now 

By the way, for the record, Xfinity Home does *not* (at least in my area, in my limited experience), takeover an existing alarm system. Wired or otherwise.

When the installer came out we had components leftover from an existing wired and wireless system both. As soon as the tech arrived, he went right into asking us _which_ doors and windows we wanted protected. Befuddled, I looked at my spouse then back at the installed and said, all of them, can't you use the existing sensors? No, he said, not the wired or wireless sensors. You need to buy all new sensors.

Well, he was right. Xfinity Home uses a proprietary system which requires the use of their sensors exclusively. This is an excellent business model. By requiring their own sensors, most people will probably have the existing wired and wireless sensors removed, leaving them high and dry when they change their mind and go to get another system. The new system wouldn't be able to takeover Xfinity Home's system since it's.. you guessed it, proprietary!

If you have an existing alarm system, look for the sticker of the previous monitoring company and have them come out to the house first for a free consultation to tell you exactly what they can re-use, what needs replacing, what new features you might want and what it will cost. If they are defunct or you are looking for an even more attractive deal, check out alarm grid or alarm dot com. The former is for a true DIY-er, and their customer service is great to walk you through what is what and how to get things back in order. The latter is better for people who aren't comfortable installing their own alarm, they still may be able to monitor your existing equipment but with the peace of mind a professional installer brings to the table.