Community Forum

Re: Passphrase

New Poster

Changed the batteries in my keypad and lost communication. Do I need a tech to pair it or can I add it back?

Silver Problem Solver

No clue.  I would call them.

1-877-298-0874

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

Xfinity will not give us the pass phrase because they want to charge you $60.00 to have a tech come to your home to do it.   It is only done for greed, so that while they had someone here a few days ago to do the install, the two plus hours he was here is wasted, since I am going to leave the Xfinity home security system and they will lose the monthly monitoring fee.  Either let me add new sensors and such to my system myself or charge me $60 to have a tech come out each time I need something done.  With me they are not going to have it both ways. 

Frequent Visitor

Yeah it doesn't really make total sense why we cannot add window/ door sensors and motion sensors because if you had Xfinity automation (non monitored) you can add them with the apps. I know it came down to people modifying their motion sensors and how they worked which caused a lot of false alarms... but just lock us out with those features but give us the ability to at least add them and rename them.
Frequent Visitor

Could you go Non Monitored, put in sensors, and then ask to go monitored again?

Contributor

xfinity did that to cut down on false alarms they dont  want anyone messing with security and fire part when it come to lighting and everything else  think everyone   you could  add you self i know 60 dollars is lot but i reather not have false alarms and have it pay city for false alarms for security and have to pay city to roll the fire trucks for fire alarm false alarm s fee for those can add up as well 

Valued Contributor

Other security systems allow you to set up yourself and make changes to the system.  Was looking at Simplysafe as it is completely DIY.  Guess they figure their customers are smart enough to install sensors themselves unlike Comcast which doesn't trust us to do anything any longer.

Frequent Visitor

As soon as my contract runs out I will be changing.  Just not going to be charged for installing a simple thing like a sensor.

Official Employee

All - 

We are able to send out equipment or it can be picked up without a professional installation in some areas. Please feel free to send me a PM with your first and last name if you'd like to look into this option together. 

To send me a Private Message, please click my name “ComcastAlly” and click “send a message.”

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

My Name is:  *Removed name*

I bought the equipment I have from a private person who had Xfinity and switched to another company.

Official Employee

hadawayj - 

To keep your private information secure, please send me a PM with your name. I did edit out the name from your public post. 

To send me a Private Message, please click my name “ComcastAlly” and click “send a message.”

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Visitor

Three questions.

1) lost connectivity to my centralite keypad. How can I reconnect? Downloaded the PDF instructions for the device. They didn't help.

2) ComcastAlly what is the method for sending you a PM?

3) Does a technician need to be in my home to generate a premise passphrase?

I am generally happy with my home system. Fortunately, I set things up and tweaked them to my liking before the premise passphrase was added as a security layer. I had to have a tech come out once already for something I could have easily done on my own but we didn't pay for the visit. Now I am hitting a second minor issue that I am hoping I don't need a tech to come out for. I don't want to switch to another brand because I will have to start from scratch but I didn't see a system for sale at Sam's Club recently and it is tempting since Xfinity has become so restrictive.

Bonus question...How long does the premise passphrase last? I have seen some answers to this question, but they were not correct based on my experience...
Official Employee

Jingandmark, I'd be happy to help! Thanks for reaching out on the forums.

Have you tried replacing the keypad batteries? You can also reset the keypad by making sure your system is disarmed > remove the keypad from the wall by sliding it upwards > remove and replace the batteries > replace the keypad on the mounting bracket > try arming the system. 

To send me a PM, you would just need to click my name “ComcastAlly” and click “send a message.”  

The premise passphrase is generated automatically and expires after 24 hours. This is used by the technicians. The Central Station master code is used when an alarm is tripped, and this can be changed online or through the touchscreen. 

Regular Visitor

Yes I have tried this things. The keypad became unpaired after the batteries were dead for a little while ( this keypad is used infrequently).

I want to reset the keypad and add it back to touchscreen but I can't pair the device to the touchscreen without the premise passphrase.
Official Employee

Jingandmark, 

Got it, thank you for clarifying! Have you attempted to restart the touchscreen? 

Regular Visitor

Yes.

Actually restarted the touchscreen a few times. Once a device is unpaired, I think re-pairing the device is the only way to get it linked with the touchscreen again
Frequent Visitor

@Jingandmark wrote:
Three questions.

1) lost connectivity to my centralite keypad. How can I reconnect? Downloaded the PDF instructions for the device. They didn't help.

2) ComcastAlly what is the method for sending you a PM?

3) Does a technician need to be in my home to generate a premise passphrase?

I am generally happy with my home system. Fortunately, I set things up and tweaked them to my liking before the premise passphrase was added as a security layer. I had to have a tech come out once already for something I could have easily done on my own but we didn't pay for the visit. Now I am hitting a second minor issue that I am hoping I don't need a tech to come out for. I don't want to switch to another brand because I will have to start from scratch but I didn't see a system for sale at Sam's Club recently and it is tempting since Xfinity has become so restrictive.

Bonus question...How long does the premise passphrase last? I have seen some answers to this question, but they were not correct based on my experience...

Xfinity/Comcast will lose many customers, who are otherwise happy with their systems, just because of this premise passphrase rule.  I know that when my contract is finished I will rip out the comcast/infinity and put in Simply Safe.  At least with that system you can add and change things as needed.  Maybe, if Comcast/Xfinity  wants to keep this restriction, they should have the techs. come out for free and customers would stay.

Official Employee

Jingandmark - 

I'd be happy to troubleshoot this further to see if there's a way we can pair them up again remotely. Feel free to send over a PM with your first and last name. To send me a Private Message, please click my name “ComcastAlly” and click “send a message.”

hadawayj - 

I'm sorry to hear you're thinking about leaving. Can you please elaborate on the issues you're running into? I send you a PM on Friday but didn't hear back. 

Frequent Visitor

Hi

I will be leaving Comcast/Xfinity because of the restrictions of Passphrase.  If I cannot hook up a simple sensor without paying $60 for a service call I do not want the service.

Jesse

Official Employee

hadawayj, I'm sorry to hear that. If you change your mind, please don't hesitate to reach out. 

Frequent Visitor

Hi

Simply safe is only a couple of dollars more and they have no restrictions on putting in your own equipment.

I think Comcast/Xfinity should reconcider and treat their customers better.  

Jesse

Official Employee

hadawayj, I'm sorry for the inconvenience and I'll be sure to submit your feedback regarding installing new equipment.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks, maybe if enough complain they will loosen up and start treating customers like they mean something.

Jesse