Community Forum

Outdoor security cameras

Regular Contributor

Outdoor security cameras

I’m looking for an outdoor camera solution. My first thought it a ring doorbell wired into my current doorbell. Does it connect to my Xfinity home system? Of course I live in a rural area a deer would set off motion frequently.  But I’m interested in the video recording. My second thought is moving my two Xfinity cameras outside to each of my porches. I’d have the benefit of the video recording that I could view each day. Then how do I power up these cameras. My front porch has no electric outlets just a very nice porch light attached to the bricks. My back porch has an electric outlet that I guess can be converted to just wiring to power up my camera 2. I also have the updated camera that is white and not too adjustable. Any suggestions would be appreciated. There is no wired door bell on the back porch. 

Official Employee

Re: Outdoor security cameras

The Ring equipment doesn’t tie into the Xfinity home security system at all. As techs, we drill a hole to get to power inside the house. It kind of defeats the purpose to plug it in outside,
1. It’s easy to unplug/disable a camera from an outside outlet,
2. The power adapters aren’t meant to be outside with access to the elements. If you move the cameras outside, how you provide power is ultimately up to you

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

I understand. So what I’m currently thinking is at least moving one camera out for now and plug it into a gfi outlet that had a door to shield the camera plug. It’s under roof and the plug would be at least 10 ‘ from the end of the porch.  I really don’t want any holes drilled out there other than to attach the camera. Our house is brick with a rake joint and aluminum ceiling on our porch.  Question: can that camera be wired into electric wiring just light a porch light is? 

Official Employee

I’ve never seen it or heard of it being done. Check the size of your outlet shield with the size of the power adapter, they’re not small

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Contributor

Yes I noticed it has a pretty big power adapter. My other option is the battery powered Ring doorbell but there’s a lot of activity going in and out of that door. It would drain the battery in a few months. Thank you for your input. 

Valued Contributor

I have six of the Xfinity Cameras and five are outside.  The techs did have to drill through the wall and this is the best way to go.  Three of mine are through brick walls (I actually installed 2 of them) and two are through hardplank. I don't like the new white cameras as they are not very adjustable and I have had to replace 2 of them as they go water in them.  Finally stated wrapping the current one in water proof tape.

Regular Contributor

I’m trying to avoid that. My house is brick and the ceiling over the porch leads nowhere. It’s either going to be plugged into the gfi in the porch ceiling or I’ll add a ring doorbell. I’d much rather the xfinity camera so it can be incorporated into the video feed with the other indoor cameras. Do you know if I buy a used camera online can I add it myself or is that not an option any longer? The tech install is not a problem because I plan to use the video recording on the porch or do the techs just refuse to plug into an outlet. I have no intention of breaking thru an outer brick wall or the porch ceiling. The porch ceiling was an add on so there is no way to get into the attic from there plus the eves in that area of my attic are tight. I do have a black camera 2 which might do better outdoors. 

Official Employee

It’s your house, you can have the camera installed and plug the cameras in wherever you wish. Plugging it in indoors is just a secure suggestion.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Yes that’s what I thought too. Except when I had the system installed over two years ago the installer refused unless we permitted him to drill thru the wall and run the plug into the house and every time a tech comes to our house and I ask about it I’m told they’re not permitted to install cameras outdoors unless they’re hooked up from inside the house.
Valued Contributor

You can purchase the camera and install youself and do however you want.  Installation and pairing is easy.

Regular Contributor

I think that is what I’ll do. First I want to move the white camera to my back porch and see how it goes out there. If it seems fine and gets the signal, I’ll just buy another one on eBay and put it where the original one was. Also, over the holidays one of the relatives we visited, had a Camera 2 on their front porch plugged for a few years with no problem from theft. The plug was at ground level. I don’t understand while the original installing tech said they were not permitted to install a camera outside unless they drilled a hole into my house to plug indoors.