Community Forum

Modem/Router Combo for Xfinity Home Security

New Poster

Modem/Router Combo for Xfinity Home Security

I want to use a Netgear CM700 Modem and the Google Home Wifi System (Set of 3) because I have spotty connection in some parts of my home. I also have xfinity home security with sensors and a camera. I've read that it requires a Netgear xfinity sidecar router in order for the xfinity home security to be connected. Will it be possible with the setup I described above? If so, how will that work (Netgear CM700 Modem to Google Home Wifi to Netgear Sidecar Router to xfinity home security touchpad)? Or is it possible to connect with just the Google Home Wifi Router? Thanks.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Modem/Router Combo for Xfinity Home Security

@jjg510 wrote:

I want to use a Netgear CM700 Modem and the Google Home Wifi System (Set of 3) because I have spotty connection in some parts of my home. I also have xfinity home security with sensors and a camera. I've read that it requires a Netgear xfinity sidecar router in order for the xfinity home security to be connected. Will it be possible with the setup I described above? If so, how will that work (Netgear CM700 Modem to Google Home Wifi to Netgear Sidecar Router to xfinity home security touchpad)? Or is it possible to connect with just the Google Home Wifi Router? Thanks.

If you already have XHome, you must already have a Comcast gateway that has the modem built in.  I started out with a sidecar and was able to have it removed when I got my XB3 and XB6 gateway.

Google Home will probably use your existing wifi network.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Official Employee

You will still need the Netgear sidecar in the mix, with a direct connection to your modem. Not sure how that affects your Google Home. Something like this, you should have a tech out to do it properly
New Poster

Thanks for your response. I don't have Google home, I just want to use the Google WiFi router. My Netgear modem currently only has one socket for Ethernet. Do I need a modem with two sockets for ethernet? One for the Netgear sidecar and one for my Google WiFi router?
Official Employee

Use one of the ports of the Google router.

Frequent Visitor

I have a similar setup with netgear modem and the xfinity security gateway/hub (not the integrated modem/gateway that many get confused with) plugs into a netgear nighthawk router vs the modem. I’m not familiar with the google WiFi but you will need an Ethernet port on your router to connect to.
New Poster

Hi there,

I'm running the Netgear CM1000 modem and the ASUS AC1900 router.  My understanding is that I need to use the Netgear side car to replace my router in order for home security to work.

- Is this correct?

- Can the side car handle Gigabit internet?

Thank you,

Phil

Frequent Visitor

No, The netgear sidecar gateway (bridge/hub) that xfinity provides would plug into your asus router. You’d have 3 boxes. The 2 you already have plus the netgear that xfinity provides with security install. Drew