Community Forum

Is there a compatibility issue with Ring Doorbell and video?

New Poster

Is there a compatibility issue with Ring Doorbell and video?

Reading some of the forum posts, there appears to be either a compatibility issue between Xfinity and Ring video doorbells or a setting that needs to be adjusted with the xfinity firewall. I have Xfinity Home, cable, phone, and internet, and am interested in purchasing the Ring Doorbell. Are there issues/problems that will make using the Ring Doorbell with Xfinity impossible?

New Poster

Re: Is there a compatibility issue with Ring Doorbell and video?

I second this.  Not everyone can get power for a video doorbell.  Ring is the only doorbell out there that offers a battery option.  Comcast - please get on board with integrating Ring as one of your Xfinity Home partners!!

New Poster

Comcast, it would be nice to have the ring supported. in fact this is a requierment for older home.

New Poster

I have purchased the Ring Pro doorbell.  I am connectect to the wifi, but the device does not provide sound, notifications or video.  Is there a setting that needs to be changed?  I have an Arris TG 1682G.  Appreciate any help!  Thank you.

New Poster

Hello,

We have a ring doorbell on both front and back doors.  We have it connected to our cell phone, tablet, and computer to use the wifi to check either motion or ringing doorbell.  There is also a separate box to hear your chime or motion if someone is at your door.  This can be purchased seprately.  As far as video you must either use cell, tablet, or computer with the installed app on those devices.  I love ours!  We did not hard wire, but use battery and use our devices to monitor both doors.  As far as the chime we have that extra box so we can hear it without using a separate device.  Hope this helps you.

New Poster

Thank you.  Do you have the Ring Pro?  Also, did you have to change any settings in your modem?   I set the Ring floodlights at my parents.....they have Comcast, but a different modem, not provided by Comcast.  Appreciate your help. 

New Poster

For the person who hooked up both a front and back door with Ring doorbells.  What model of Ring doorbell do you have?  Is it the Ring Pro or the Ring 2?

Frequent Visitor

i have the Ring Pro and also the ring wifi extender. at first just the Ring Pro and an Apple Airport Extreme right inside the doorway (Mrs. didnt like the airport laying aside of the door!). without it the connection was minimal at best. they sent the wifi extender free of charge (according to Ring this just works as a go between connection to the Pro, nothing else). doorbell works very well, no issues with the doorbell itself but just some sluggish wifi at times in general. also added the Lyric thermostat and MyQ garage door controls all about the same time. speedtest.net is at 120, fast.com around 100. ipads and iphones act sluggish at times but when i connect thru a vpn everything is fine.

thanks in advance for any thoughts!

New Poster

I recently switched from ATT because I internet was slow and disruptive in the house, my Ring doorbell was finally working in a wifi extender... I just had xfinity instead yesterday and my doorbell doesn't work..
I am now stuck with xfinity for a year
New Poster

I've tried my extender with the xfinity but it isn't working, how did you get yours to work. Mine was fine with ATT
Frequent Visitor

I am using my own equipment, an Arris modem and 2 Apple AirPort Extremes for the WiFi, not the equipment from Xfinity. Only had one issue where I had to reconnect.

Frequent Visitor

One thing I had to do,when connecting the WiFi extender was turn off the 5ghz channel on my router. The ring pro doorbell will connect to either 2.4 or 5, but the WiFi extender will only connect to the 2.4. With my MyQ garage door openers and my Lyric thermostat I had to turn off the 5ghz, once connected I turned it back on and it is working ok. I did however have another issue this morning with the extender loosing connection to WiFi.

New Poster

I have 3 Ring Floodlight Camera and a Doorbell Pro 2.  I have internet by Comcast rated at 1 Gbps download 35 Mbps upload.  The camera work ok but I have some trouble if my wife and I are trying to do live view a the same time on the same camera.  But the major issue is that whenever my camera detect motion and start uploading, my internet literally freezes for about 1 minute.  I even tried to use my router fiewall and limit bandwidth and that does not help.  I viewdd the bandwidth useage and upload was about 1Mbps so I hjave plenty of headroom but for whatever reason the internet freezes without fail everytime.  If I here the chime I can expect a frozen conneciton.

I'm having a sneaky feeling that Comcast is throttleing and purposefully degrading interent when ring starts uploading to steer people towards their comcast home products.

Regular Visitor

I have a Ring Video Doorbell 2.  I have actually tried two separate devices after Ring replaced one.  Both have video issues (video starts and stops).  Did hours of troubleshooting.  Ring support indicates it's a problem with some xfinigity high speed internet customers and an online search confirms this.  Indeed, if I use a hotspot through ATT on my phone, it works perfectly.  I otherwise have no problems with my high speed xfinity connection including other cameras in the house.  Any suggerstions?
Frequent Visitor

Question for Skunkfoo and Eric316, are you both using Comcast’s router, or your own?

thanks!

Regular Visitor

Tobyeemn,
Using Netgear R8500 now, but it didn’t work with the Xfinity Gateway either.
New Poster

My circumstance is worse. I actually had my Ring Pro Doorbell working with my Xfinity. I upgraded to the Home Bundle and added the security.  In that process they have me a new Wifi router, the TECHNICOLOR. Now my doorbell and Chime devices won't work.  I spent 30 minutes being passed between four people (asking for my name and address 3 times to reverify me) and the techs had no ideas. This isn't in there knowledge base.  They struggled to even understand the problem.

Obvioiusly this is a highly visited thread... how does one get Xfinity's attention on this?  As for me, I'm within my three days so I'm highly considering having them come out and remove the new service they spent hours installing.

I agree with eariler posts, Comcast wants to drive people to their home solutions and are not supporting competitive solutions.  So much for net neutrality.

New Poster

I wish so badly to get out of this. Do it, I would if I were you. Recently I spent an hour and a half on the phone also being passed to about 3 people a d no one could solve the problem. I work at school and now that we are out I want them to come to my house and extend the cable so I can move the box and possibly replace the box. I would rather have slow service than no service. I want my ATT UVERSE back. Good luck
New Poster

We have Xfinity and had issues with the Ring doorbell. After HOURS in multiple calls with Ring they finally admitted that it was my Android phone that was the issue. They admitted that it has firewalls that do not allow the doorbell to show video, sense motion, etc. 

New Poster

they also allowed me to return the doorbell and refunded my money in full. I suggest that you pressure them into refunding your money if the doorbell doesnt do what they say it will.

New Poster

I had the same issue, I was able to use 2.4 speed and that allowed me to connect to my Adndroid phone and laptop.  

New Poster

SAme the 5.0 didn't work, 2.4  worked, after much a do.

New Poster

I wrote about my problems with the Ring Doorbell after I had Xfinity Home added to my service, and they changed my WiFi router in the process.  Several devices weren't working well.  A different, more experienced tech came to my home. He said that the tech didn't set things up correctly. I'm not sure what he did--but when he was done everything worked again (and very well), including the doorbell.

If you have problems, have a tech come out. 

Over the phone nobody was able to help me and they wasted a lot of my time.