Community Forum

Device management?

Contributor

Device management?

So why am I paying you to monitor my home security just for you to take advantage and try to charge me for a technician to come out just to simply add a door and window sensor? Why do you charge me to view the footage from my camera? You say it has 24/7 monitoring but why is it and extra $10 for me to monitor it myself? What if I don't want you to contact emergency services for any reason at all? If I want those people at my home I will call them myself. Why won't my camera stay connected and why does the motion sensor not work? To many unacceptable questions going unanswered, probably gonna cost you a coustomer for good.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Device management?

@TwiztedSystem wrote:

So why am I paying you to monitor my home security just for you to take advantage and try to charge me for a technician to come out just to simply add a door and window sensor? Why do you charge me to view the footage from my camera? You say it has 24/7 monitoring but why is it and extra $10 for me to monitor it myself? What if I don't want you to contact emergency services for any reason at all? If I want those people at my home I will call them myself. Why won't my camera stay connected and why does the motion sensor not work? To many unacceptable questions going unanswered, probably gonna cost you a coustomer for good.

This is why I am paying an extra $4.99/mo for the Service Protection Plan.  Over the years, it has saved me hundreds of dollars.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Official Employee

I'm sorry to hear that you're not happy with the service! I will do my best to answer all of your questions...

- We require technicians to be dispatched to install/remove/modify any components that are considered to be "life-safety" devices, like door and window or motion sensors. Because Xfinity Home is a fully monitored professional system, we need to ensure these devices are installed properly and that all are in proper communication to avoid false alarms (or even worse, the possibility of an alarm not tripping when it should).

- We don't charge for viewing the live feed of your cameras, or pictues and video clips that you take or are saved by setting up a rule. The 24/7 Recording service is considered to be a Premium add-on. With that you can review 10 days worth of footage, review motion-detected thumbnails, search for People, Pets, and Vehicles in your recordings and more! We are planning on additional enhancements to the service this year to make it even more valuable.

- Xfinity Home is designed to be a fully monitored service. We won't call emergency services if we are able to reach you first and you confirm a false alarm or that you otherwise don't want us to contact emergency services. If you do have certain sensors that you do not wish to ever trip an alarm, one of our technicians can come out to modify it to a "24 Hour Inform" sensor. When set to this mode, you can set a rule to receive an alert if the sensor trips, but it will never trigger an alarm.

- Cameras not connecting are usually the result of poor communication between the Gateway (or Security Router) and the Camera. Are they far apart? Is your Gateway or Router positioned out in the open and away from other electronics? We can try relocating it as well, or upgrading you to our latest XB6 Gateway (if you rent your Gateway from us) which has a stronger WiFi antenna.

- A technician can determine why a motion sensor is not functioning. What is the indication that it's not working now?

- I hope we don't lose you! We know there are a lot of options out there. We do our best to include a lot of value (such as free cellular backup, integration with 3rd party devices, a full featured mobile app, ability to use X1 to see your Cameras, Voice Control through X1 and a lot more) at a price that is quite often less than the other professionally monitored systems that are out there.

I hope that helps!

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

What is the service protection plan and how do I set all my sensors ton24hour inform

Silver Problem Solver

@TwiztedSystem wrote:

What is the service protection plan and how do I set all my sensors ton24hour inform

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/service-protection-plan

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Official Employee

Hi @TwiztedSystem

The link provided by @RobertWy is a great resource for your question. I just wanted to make sure you found the information you needed? Please keep in mind,  as of May 9, 2018, the Service Protection Plan is no longer available for new customers. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

So your saying that I'm not eligible for the protection plan since I joined in September 2018.

Highlighted
Official Employee

So your saying that I'm not eligible for the protection plan since I joined in September 2018.

Existing customers with the service protection plan have it grandfathered to their account. We no longer offer new subscriptions to the service protection plan. 

As far as the 24 hour inform is concerned, that is done by zones. Typically a tech will need to be sent to do this.