Community Forum

Details on Alexa Enablement for Xfinity Security

New Poster

Details on Alexa Enablement for Xfinity Security

I’ve seen a few threads with several users mentioning that they’ll be switching providers without a feature release that includes Alexa, and the most recent communication was “we will look into it”. I’m certainly one of these customers that will be switching fairly soon with the limited feature set for basic device integration.

Is there any update to be had here? Release notes on future feature releases? Timelines? If not, is it safe to assume Xfinity has no plans on this integration and we are best to switch provider to solve?
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Details on Alexa Enablement for Xfinity Security

Sorry, Nothing has changed in regards to Alexa compatibility. Whether anything is happening behind the scenes, is unknown. Something like that would be heavily advertised when/if it happens.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
New Poster

I understand. Can you please refer me the number to contact in regards to returns, contracts, and cancellations?
Diamond Problem Solver

1800 Comcast for any account concerns

We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Contributor

Why on earth would you want to connect an Alexa device to your home security system? I’ve read several reports that amazon employees can access your ring doorbell recordings as well as Alexa recordings. I’ve never come across anything online that says anyone other than myself can view my recorded videos unless I download them and post them online. I’ve read scary things about Nest cameras also. I’ve automated my Home Security so anything can be controlled by my touchscreen, tv or smartphone. I can tell my tv through my remote to view cameras and enable/disable my system. A cute commercial with the Property Brothers sells a product but would you be sacrificing peace of mind? 

Regular Contributor

You are describing an all or nothing scenario.  Not the way to go.  I would love to have an alexa skill to turn on and off my light controllers.  For the X1 I would love to tell alexa to change my channel to NBC.  Alexa integration would be much more convenient that having to always find the X1 remote.  And there are some Home customers who may not have an X1 voice remote.  An xfinity home & X1 skill would be a real enhancemnt.  But no, I would not want amazon to be able to arm/disarm my system, unlock my house, or view my cameras.  So come on comcast, flexibility is a god thing.  Give us an alexa skill for convenience options, but still keep us safe from amazon intrusion (which no one may know about).

Regular Contributor

I’ve read posts online of people that have connected Alexa to their X1 and had it change channels. Not sure how it’s done though. I’ve been told by techs visiting my house that Alexa will never be connected to the home security touchscreen and that you need Xfinity’s brand of cameras to integrate into your home security app on mobile devices and the touchscreen. If your smartphone is closer at hand than the tv remote there might be an app to change channels and volume. Our remote is dusty. We use a Harmony remote. 

Diamond Problem Solver

Try this with your X1 boxes if you have the proper third party equipment. I haven’t tried it personally but others have posted with success
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/how-to-logitech-harmony-amazon-alexa-echo/

Silver Problem Solver

@CCAndrew wrote:
Try this with your X1 boxes if you have the proper third party equipment. I haven’t tried it personally but others have posted with success
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/how-to-logitech-harmony-amazon-alexa-echo/

Wow.  Thanks, Andrew.  Do you see any security risks with doing this?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!