Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

Arris TG3482G bridge mode, hardwire alarm pad

Frequent Visitor

Arris TG3482G bridge mode, hardwire alarm pad

I am thinking of putting my TG3482 in bridge mode to try to fix a couple of internet issues.  I know I will loose WIFI to my Xfinity alarm pad.  Can I hard ethernet cable my alarm pad to a Nighthawk X6 router to maintaing WIFI or do I need to get a speacial router for it?

Official Employee

Re: Arris TG3482G bridge mode, hardwire alarm pad

There’s a special router that needs to be tech installed, if you go ahead with bridge mode
Expert

ComcastAndrew wrote:
There’s a special router that needs to be tech installed, if you go ahead with bridge mode

Andrew, I have a TG1682G in bridge mode and my XHome system works without a sidecar.  I assume from what you say that when I get my XB6 I will have to have a sidecar installed for XHome?

Official Employee

No, not at all. XB6 will work the same way.
Expert

ComcastAndrew wrote:
No, not at all. XB6 will work the same way.

Yay!  Thanks for the information.

Frequent Visitor

@     Thanks for the reply.  If I go into Bridge mode with the TG3482G (XB6) then I will need a special router for the pad to have WIFI? I can't use the ethernet port on the alarm pad and hard wire it to my Nighthawk?  Why would there be a ethernet port on the back if you couldn't hard wire the pad to a router?  There is a ethernet mac associated with the alarm pad.  You told RobertY that it would work in a previous reply in this post.

Official Employee

2pfspiff wrote:

@     Thanks for the reply.  If I go into Bridge mode with the TG3482G (XB6) then I will need a special router for the pad to have WIFI? I can't use the ethernet port on the alarm pad and hard wire it to my Nighthawk?  Why would there be a ethernet port on the back if you couldn't hard wire the pad to a router?  There is a ethernet mac associated with the alarm pad.  You told RobertY that it would work in a previous reply in this post.

The Netgear router has security software built in that your personal router doesn't/can't have. Robert was referring to upgrading his gateway from XB3 to XB6, not to use his personal equipment.

Frequent Visitor

Ok.  If however I put the XB6 into bridge mode will I need a special router for the security system if the alarm pad wifi mac is tied into the XB6 software?

Highlighted
Official Employee

2pfspiff wrote:

Ok.  If however I put the XB6 into bridge mode will I need a special router for the security system if the alarm pad wifi mac is tied into the XB6 software?

Correct, if it wasn't tied to the XB6 ( or XB3, a stand alone modem or another internet provider)you would already have the Netgear router.

Frequent Visitor

Understand.  If I want to go to bridge mode and the alarm pad is tied into the XB6 then I shouldn't need a side car is what you are telling me?  I will try it and see what happens in a couple of days.  I like to do this stuff at night when everyone is asleep so that I don't disturb them and upset the wife.  She hates when I mess with this stuff.

Again thanks for the help.

Official Employee

2pfspiff wrote:

Understand.  If I want to go to bridge mode and the alarm pad is tied into the XB6 then I shouldn't need a side car is what you are telling me?  I will try it and see what happens in a couple of days.  I like to do this stuff at night when everyone is asleep so that I don't disturb them and upset the wife.  She hates when I mess with this stuff.

No, you have it totally backwards. If you go to bridge mode, you are turning OFF all wifi capabilities to the XB6, you WILL need the sidecar. 

Frequent Visitor

ComcastAndrew wrote:

2pfspiff wrote:

No, you have it totally backwards. If you go to bridge mode, you are turning OFF all wifi capabilities to the XB6, you WILL need the sidecar. 

Ok.  How much extra a month would this cost me or is it part of the package?

Official Employee

Nothing, it’s part of making your Home Security work properly
Expert

ComcastAndrew wrote:

2pfspiff wrote:

Andrew,

I have the XB3 now and it is in bridge mode but I don't need a sidecar.  I assume the XB6 is different from what you say.

New Poster

@ComcastAndrew: What is the actual sidecar device name? The people that answer the phones at Comcast are completely incompetent, and I want to know exactly what to ask for. I assume I will need this to cconnect Eero wifi extenders. Also, there is no place on the gateway's admin website for bridge mode. What are the steps turn on bridge mode for the TG3482 gateway (1gig internet)? I need to put the gateway into bridge mode to avoid issues when I connect the Eero wiFi extenders.
Official Employee

Megangreen, the sidecar is used for customers who have home security and put their device in bridge mode. You don’t have home security service, so you will need your own personal router if you put the 3482 in bridge mode. Then connect your Wi-Fi extenders to your personal router
Expert

ComcastAndrew wrote:
Then connect your Wi-Fi extenders to your personal router

FWIW, you don't need to use a stand-alone router with the Eero system.