Community Forum

Arm Night Mode and Motion Sensor

New Poster

Arm Night Mode and Motion Sensor

I've heard both answers on this one from Xfinity customer service reps, hopefully someone here can tell me definitively. In "arm night" mode, is the motion sensor active or not? The literature I received makes it sound like it's not, but it's also worded somewhat cryptically. I'd like it to be armed in this mode, so if it's not by default, is there a way to alter the programming to make that happen? Thanks.
New Poster

Re: Arm Night Mode and Motion Sensor

From my experience, the motion sensor is not active in either arm stay or arm night modes. If you want the motion sensor on at night, you could arm your system as away. I am not sure if the end user has the ability to change the arming modes.

Valued Contributor

That is correct, in "armed night" the motion sensor is not active; which is the industry standard for most alarms.  The 30 second delay on entrance through doors though is removed and opening a door will instantly trip the alarm.  The motion sensor is not activated at night mainly to avoid false alarms from movement in the house from occupants and there is no way to change it to be active.  

Problem Solver

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

Re: Arm Night Mode set delay

In arm night it takes like 120 seconds to arm. My previous system hard an instant function to arm, say if going to sleep or want it on instantly...can the delay to arm have an instant setting or reduce the delay, especially for arm night use?
Contributor

In night mode motion sensors are not active to trigger alarm but you can set up rules for that motion sensor to perform certain task like(turn lights on) while alarm in night mode , all this of course if you have light/appliance modules
Regular Visitor

A technician can set the sensor to be on innight mode if youare sure you wont set itoff accidentally. Sensor can be set as interior follower or interior follower night mode.

Valued Contributor

There are options to have the motions sensor activate when in night mode.  They can be set for immediate or delayed.  This option is under advanced mode and has to be done by a techniction or in my case I talked him into giving me the passcode for this so I can do myself.  Have added several door and motion sensors and by having the code we were able to add the units without having to have a techniction out.

Frequent Visitor

spacecadet57, where exactly do you log in with this passcode?  On the touchscreen?  I feel like I could possibly squeeze that info out of my technician, but I don't see where it would be used.

New Poster

You can arm the motion sensor while you are home by arming the system in away mode using the xfinity home app on an iPhone or iPad.
New Poster

I'm on the xfinity home app and I don't see where I can arm the motion sensors while at night.

New Poster

I recently talked to an xfinity customer service person regarding the same topic, asking to differentiate between an 'arm stay' and 'arm night' mode. The explaination that i was given is, the motion sensors ARE active in the 'night' mode, however they are smart enough to all the members that are already in the house and not go off when there is motion created by them. it will however go off when it picks up motion from an outsider. 

I offcourse dont buy that explaination and do get laugh out of it from time to time Smiley Happy

New Poster

To arm the motion sensors at night when you're at home just use the Xfinity app on an iPhone or iPad. Using the arm away mode on the app will enable the motion sensors without you having to open a door.
Official Employee

phdblues wrote:

I recently talked to an xfinity customer service person regarding the same topic, asking to differentiate between an 'arm stay' and 'arm night' mode. The explaination that i was given is, the motion sensors ARE active in the 'night' mode, however they are smart enough to all the members that are already in the house and not go off when there is motion created by them. it will however go off when it picks up motion from an outsider. 

I offcourse dont buy that explaination and do get laugh out of it from time to time Smiley Happy

The difference between Arm Night and Arm Stay is that in Arm Night there is no delay ( example, if a door is opened in Night mode the alarm goes off right away, in Arm Stay if a door is opened you get the countdown to disarm.) Motion sensor is off for both modes

Valued Contributor

The passcode that the techs use is 4321.  It then comes up with another screen and just touch I the letter and select done.  you then have full access to everything the tech does.

New Poster

My motion sensor is armed in stay mode, which is a mistake.  How can I disarm the motion sensors as we have occupants and pets walking through the house at night?

Valued Contributor

I have the one in my living room set for interior follower.  When I have the alarm set for night mode the motion sensor will not activate the alarm when I walk through the room.

Contributor

When the system is initially installed, this is correct.  The motion sensor will not function for both Arm Night and Arm Stay.  However, by contacting technical support, you CAN have this changed.  Though, it will require that a technician visits the home to change the mode on the motion sensor (from software on the touchscreen).  When this is done, it WILL allow the usage of the motion sensor during Arm Night specifically.

I recommend against this, as any movement in the home during the night will instantly trip the motion sensor, thus sounding the alarm and notifying the Central Monitoring Station.

If you do in fact want this change done, give technical support a call at 800-266-2278 and request a technician to visit the home to set the motion sensor to work during Arm Night mode.

Official Comcast Employees names are in Red. "Experts" are customers who volunteer their time in the Help forums. Only Official Comcast Employees have access to your account information.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.

If Any One Has Any Other Questions / Personal Concerns Please
Click Here To Private Message Me.

<

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Visitor

Sorry to bump this forum. 

Is there a Way that all other sensors are set for immediate alarm and on,y have the front door sensor a delay when on arm stay, or away? 

If so, how? 

Contributor

If I am understanding the question correctly:

All arming modes have a countdown timer before the arm state takes place.  This countdown can be adjusted, but not removed entirely.  Adjustments to the countdown timer require a technician visit the premesis to set the timer duration (currently the minimum is ~45 seconds).

Any door that is set as an "Entry / Exit" zone will have a delay before the alarm is sounded (in both Stay and Away modes).  If you want to modify your doors to change which ones are Entry / Exit, a technician visit will also be needed to make the change.  The reason for the delay period is to allow someone entering the home a chance to disarm the system without sounding the alarm.  For instance, you leave for work and set the system to Away.  When you return and enter the home, the door you use should be set as an Entry/Exit zone.  Thus causing the countdown timer before the alarm sounds.  If you fail to disarm the system in this time, then the alarm will sound, notifying Central Monitoring.

Official Comcast Employees names are in Red. "Experts" are customers who volunteer their time in the Help forums. Only Official Comcast Employees have access to your account information.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.

<

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Visitor

Thank you for your response.

You were kind of reading my question correctly.

So in order for me to have only 1 entry/exit with a delayed response, I need to have a technician come out?

What are the costs for this?
Contributor

Jcohee4738 wrote:
Thank you for your response.

You were kind of reading my question correctly.

So in order for me to have only 1 entry/exit with a delayed response, I need to have a technician come out?

What are the costs for this?

Yes, in order to change zone modes (from perimeter to entry/exit), it does require a technician.  Unfortunately, the cost value is not information that we would have.  That is set and determined by the local technician(s).

<

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Check out the post by spacecadet57 above. You can access the settings yourself. I was able to change my motion sensor so that it arms in night mode. You can set the delays on the various sensors as well.

I asked several Xfinity personel including the technician who installed the system if this could be done (arming the motion in night mode). Everyone said it's not possible. Yes it is! 

Valued Contributor

I have 3 motion detectors.  One in my living room that I have set for Interior follower.  This allows me to move about and not set the alarm off.  It is only acttive in away mode.  I have another in a back room that I want to go off while in Night move.  This room is seperate from the rest of the house and I know not to go back there when I set for night mode.  This sensor is set for Interior delay Arm Night. It will alarm in night mode but has a delay that will allow you to trun off should you forget to go in the room and active it.  I also have one on the front porch (which is covered and pretty much out of the weather).  I have it set for 24-hr motion.  I have a rule set so that when it detects motion it will take a video clip.  It will never set off the alarm in this mode.

You must use the 4321 code for the sensors to show up.

New Poster

Can you tell me what the difference is between interior delay arm night and interior follower arm night.

Valued Contributor

The interior delay arm night will set the alarm off (with a countdown) when you have the system set for night.  You don't want to use this for any part of the house where someone might be up in the night moving around.  The follwer is alarmed only when the sysetm is set for away.  You want this for any area where you wan the system to alarm when no one is home.