Community Forum

About to Leave Comcast / Worthless Security Cameras

New Poster

About to Leave Comcast / Worthless Security Cameras

Before I cancel all my Comcast service, I would like to hear from other users about how long it takes for your web app or Android app to connect to the system.  In my experience, it takes 45+ seconds for either the web app or Android to connect to your security system.  If someone rings the doorbell, good luck ever being able to check who it is before they leave.  Another company just buried fiber in front of my house, so I now have options.  The $360/year I pay just to record the cameras is absurd given the low resolution and compression on the recordings.  I am sick and tired of not being able to connect to this system.  When I am walking up the stairs to a side door, I can't use my app to turn off security unless I am willing to wait 60 seconds--so instead I walk up another half flight to turn off security at the main station and then walk back down.  I realize I could put yet another keypad in, but what is the use of having apps if they take 60+ seconds to connect...

Official Employee

Re: About to Leave Comcast / Worthless Security Cameras

Embert3932 -

I've had Xfinity Home for a number of years and can say that 60 seconds is way too long for the app to load.  We've made improvements to the system and mobile apps over the years, and I can say load times have gotten a lot better.

I just tested on both my Android and iOS smart phones, and timed how long it took for my camera thumbnails (I have 6 cameras) to load after tapping the App icon.  I counted 10 seconds for Android, and 9 seconds for iOS.  It does sometimes take longer, but that's usually when I'm away from a strong WiFi signal and am probably on a weaker LTE connection.

Out of curiosity, do you have the same issues if you use the subscriber portal at home.xfinity.com with camera load times?  

If you have a very large home, installing xFi Pods can help improve connectivity to a camera that might be far away, or on the other side of a wall that is weaking the signal strength.

I would hate to lose you as a customer over something like this - I'd suggest giving us a call to have a tech come out - there are diagnostics that they can run on the Touchscreen to see what signal strength looks like to your Gateway, cameras, and other zigbee devices.  We can sometimes relocate or upgrade equipment (for example, install the latest XB6 Gateway if you don't already have one) if signals aren't optimal.  

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Expert

@Embert3932 wrote:

Before I cancel all my Comcast service, I would like to hear from other users about how long it takes for your web app or Android app to connect to the system.  In my experience, it takes 45+ seconds for either the web app or Android to connect to your security system.  If someone rings the doorbell, good luck ever being able to check who it is before they leave.  Another company just buried fiber in front of my house, so I now have options.  The $360/year I pay just to record the cameras is absurd given the low resolution and compression on the recordings.  I am sick and tired of not being able to connect to this system.  When I am walking up the stairs to a side door, I can't use my app to turn off security unless I am willing to wait 60 seconds--so instead I walk up another half flight to turn off security at the main station and then walk back down.  I realize I could put yet another keypad in, but what is the use of having apps if they take 60+ seconds to connect...

It takes around 7 seconds for my iPhone's Xfinity Home App to connect after FaceID validates my identity. Pretty much the same for the browser portal. My Xfinity X1 cable boxes take slightly longer, but nowhere near 15 seconds, much less 60. 

I can set my alarm to Away and access other functions nearly instantly once I'm in. My iPhone performs nearly as seamlessly as the keypad does. 

Whatever is causing your app over a minute to connect isn't something that's going to be fixed by some other internet service provider. Something is wrong with your current setup that's not related to Comcast. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

I’ve had Xfinity Home Secure for almost three years and rarely had a problem accessing the mobile app or the camera. I can access from outside in my yard within a few seconds. The only place I’ve ever experience a problem was down in a valley where there were some large buildings with no wifi service and LTE was sparse also in large medical facilities I’ve noticed it unless I connect to their guest wifi. I’ve certainly not had any problem inside my home or right outside the exterior walls. It’s the first home security system I ever had. The support is great and the technicians are friendly and helpful when they visits to repair something. Could you possibly have something else interfering with the service like a ring door bell or some other wifi device not incorporated into the system? In addition, I just saw Fox News say that there is a problem with the ring door bell. It seems that amazon employees can access your video w/o knowing your ring password and only using your email address for access. I”m sure Ring will jump on that but it makes me wonder why Xfinity Home never incorporated  amazon Alexa or the ring door bell into their home security system. Sorry for going off topic. 

New Poster

I have been thinking about doing the same thing. It about 10sec. Load the app and about 5 more to load camera on good wifi. Now if your in a place with no wifi and slow LTE /4G from your cell phone provider it can take longer. Sometimes will not even load, but I use my secondary system it load about right away. There should not be the need to have to sets of cameras but with Xfinity home your never know if it's going load.