Community Forum

xfinitywifi hotspots and subaccounts

New Poster

xfinitywifi hotspots and subaccounts

Apologies if I'm in the wrong section or this has been answered before. I didn't see it in search results.

I need some info on subaccounts accessing xfinitywifi hotspots. I've called tech support a few times, but they're not well-positioned to get this technical and that's OK.

• It’s possible to revoke a subaccount’s access to xfinitywifi hotspots, right? What are the circumstances under which this wouldn’t automatically happen?

• If I suspend, delete, or change the password for a subaccount in the Comcast portal, how long should it take before that subaccount loses authentication? Is there a max time allowed between authentications?

• When a subaccount authenticates on an xfinitywifi hotspot, how persistent is that authentication? Is it session, hardware (MAC) and/or cookie-based? I understand the slight hazard of MAC based – could be easily spoofed. I understand the slight inconvenience of session based. But, if it’s cookie based, wouldn’t someone eavesdropping on the (open) xfinitywifi network be gathering authentication cookies?

I sincerely appreciate any insight, I’m trying to chase down a plumbing issue.

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: xfinitywifi hotspots and subaccounts

I'm going to try escalating your concern to the Comcast corporate employees that are available to these boards for an authoritative answer. You should get a reply here in your topic.

New Poster

Thanks and I see this is in the Customer Service forum heading.
New Poster

Thanks for trying -- should I expect an answer to this?

Diamond Problem Solver

It must have slipped through the cracks. I will try re-escalating.