Community Forum

who can I contact re: damage to my equipment after a surge through the cable?

Regular Visitor

who can I contact re: damage to my equipment after a surge through the cable?

Following a brief storm this past Sunday, I found I had no picture on any of my 3 tv's and my computer would turn on but that was it.

I called Comcast thinking it was just something outside that needed to be reset.

The Comcast tech who came out Monday informed me that the surge came through the Comcast cable and destroyed the HDMI part of all 3 tv's and probably the motherboard and/or power supply of the computer.

I have top of the line surge suppressors/UPS on ALL my equipment.

I also have whole home surge protection.

My power never went out and nothing was tripped.

The surge came through the cable.

I would like to initiate a damage claim 

and;

what does comcast do to prevent this in the future?

I can't unscrew every cable from the wall every time there is a storm.

Thank you.

Expert

Re: who can I contact re: damage to my equipment after a surge through the cable?

I've asked a Comcast employee to help you. You should expect a reply in this thread. 

FWIW if the coax is was bonded/grounded properly, it's unlikely Comcast will pay for the damages. Probably your home owner's insurance is your best option. 

You can install a lightning arrestor to prevent this in the future.

I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.
Official Employee

Re: who can I contact re: damage to my equipment after a surge through the cable?

Hi dylanc422, 

I can assist you with getting a damage claim started. Can you please verify your first and last name, full street address, and the phone number or account number associated with your services in a private message? 

To send a private message click on my name "ComcastChe", then click private message me. 

Regular Visitor

ComcastChe:

I am trying to private message you.

All that I am getting is a page with no way to do so on the link.

It's just blank.

Tried 2 different browsers.

Official Employee

Thanks for verifying your account information, Albert. While beginning to submit your request for a damage complaint, I was prompted by the system to exit the request because there has already been one created for this. To ensure it is being worked and someone contacts you regarding the damage, I will be following up on your request, and reaching out to you to make sure you have been contacted. Is this ok with you?