Community Forum

upgrade from the old boxes to X1

Frequent Visitor

upgrade from the old boxes to X1

im ready to upgrade from the old boxes to X1 and its new remote. Anything special I should beware f/ask for?

Expert

Re: upgrade from the old boxes to X1

@dchas10 wrote:

im ready to upgrade from the old boxes to X1 and its new remote. Anything special I should beware f/ask for?

do you have DVR(s) now? use an eSATA hard drive expansion? how many outlets for X1 were you going to have?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

Yes. I have the old Comcast box/DVR. I’ve finally viewed all of my saved library and I want to upgrade to voice remote X1
Expert

@dchas10 wrote:
Yes. I have the old Comcast box/DVR. I’ve finally viewed all of my saved library and I want to upgrade to voice remote X1

do you have a 1080p;or 4k TV that is attached to the set top box? if you have an eSATA drive it won't work on the X1. do you plan on other outlets? do you have Xfinity internet? do you have or need a landline provided by Comcast (a triple play) or just need internet and TV (double play)?

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Frequent Visitor

I have triple play. I have a 1080 TV HD. I don’t know what eSATA is
Expert

@dchas10 wrote:
I have triple play. I have a 1080 TV HD. I don’t know what eSATA is

do you have a conveniently located comcast store in your area to swap out the DVR? the eSATA is a hard drive that is not able to be used on the X1 equipment.

Frequent Visitor

Yes. They actually told me swapping my three boxes for new X-1’s would save me $20 a month
Expert

@dchas10 wrote:
Yes. They actually told me swapping my three boxes for new X-1’s would save me $20 a month

you seem to be planning to have multiple set top boxes. If so and one at least is not a DVR request an xg2 and be sure your xg1 is not a model that looks like x001 (first version). the best DVR is currrently version 4 DVR and has no display (clock).and has 6 tuners.

Frequent Visitor

Yes. 3 DVRs. But I don’t understand your comments. Wouldnt I get three DVR‘s and install them? You’re implying that I have choices to make? multiple set top boxes, an xg2, an xg1? And not a model that looks like x001 (first version). the best DVR is currrently version 4 DVR and has no display (clock).and has 6 tuners.
Please be more specific.
Frequent Visitor

You are very generous with your time and knowledge. Thank you I meant to ask about remotes. I definitely want the one that accepts voice commands. Any suggestions?
Expert

@dchas10 wrote:
You are very generous with your time and knowledge. Thank you I meant to ask about remotes. I definitely want the one that accepts voice commands. Any suggestions?

there are two of us in the home and we have 3 DVRs and an XG2. If I had ability to use the eSATA 1TB drive again with X1 I would only need 1 DVR and 1 XG2 and 2 XiDs. The X1 has 6 tuners (original reason I had 3 DVRs (legacy). The DVRs are different from the legacy one in that they are managed and appear as one DVR in your home that is you don't control where a recording is 'put'. also you might want to transcribe your entire legacy DVR episode recording list to have the details to program the X1 DVR. Once entered into x1 it is maintained in the cloud so a swapout of equipment does not mean you have to reprogram the new DVR. additional 'note' is that with the X1 you can search for a series and then using the episodes menu find the next airing. the best way to program a series into X1 is to to to the next recording on the guide and record from there. Doing that way will give you the option to have the recording on that channel only. If you reoord from the 'search' list you can end up with multiple channels offering same program from other seasons (like "Mom") where the shows are already in syndication or are shared between a network's channels months apart from premiere.