Community Forum

unsupported XFINITY or personal device

Valued Contributor

unsupported XFINITY or personal device

I open My account and click on internet for a check and got this reply>  We cannot display your network name and password because you are using an unsupported XFINITY or personal device Wireless Gateway: MB7420 < This is Motorola  MB7420 > it not a Wireless Gateway.

Expert

Re: unsupported XFINITY or personal device

Sounds like the error you get when you try to use xFI app with an unsupported device?

I am a volunteer Expert/Moderator, not an employee.

New Poster

It's my understanding that many of the Xfinity services i.e. Home, and perhaps identification of your network name, etc. requires a rented cable modem from Comcast/Xfinity. You won't even be able to own the same cable modem they rent to you (Cisco/Technicolor DPC3941T) and receive many of their services they offer, unless you pay them rent, regardless of the fact you own it. I had my own DPC3941 purchased from Technicolor via eBay for awhile and was told it wasn't approved! They even tried to claim that it belonged to them even though it wasn't. They had no record of the serial number, etc. and there was no label on the bottom proclaiming it to be owned by Comcast.  I was still able to receive internet access over that device, and of course WiFi, but not Telephony. I ended up selling it to someone with a different ISP and then purchased the "approved" Arris SVG2482ac. (The Netgear Nighthawk C7100V would have also worked.) No more rent but I have the same limitations as you are experiencing but I do now get VoIP. The bottom line is that this is Comcast policy, justified or not.

Valued Contributor

went i first had this problem 1/25 comcast was complete down...i switch over to my backup sb1621 it was the same, so i switch back and then i did halfass connection and didn't tright fhe cable, you know the rest....Thanks all.