Community Forum

unrequested calls from Comcast offering to solve a problem affecting cable speed

New Poster

unrequested calls from Comcast offering to solve a problem affecting cable speed

I keep getting phone calls wanting me to accept a call (always an Indian voice) wanting to discuss a possible problem with my cable speed. I do not speak with the caller, but they persist, daily, saying that if I don't address this I may have future problems with my internet. What kind of scam is this?

Official Employee

Re: unrequested calls from Comcast offering to solve a problem affecting cable speed

@stuartdouglas11 wrote:

I keep getting phone calls wanting me to accept a call (always an Indian voice) wanting to discuss a possible problem with my cable speed. I do not speak with the caller, but they persist, daily, saying that if I don't address this I may have future problems with my internet. What kind of scam is this?

It's not a scam, it was a legitimate call. There are notes on your account associated with the call, trying to fix your service.

New Poster

Re: unrequested calls from Comcast offering to solve a problem affecting cable speed

Thanks for the response, below.  However, in this time of increasing scams and ever-more sophisticated ways to fake legitimacy, wouldn't it make sense for Comcast to email or text first and give some prior identification of the to-be caller that then could be confirmed upon answering the telephone call? I can't be the only suspicious recipient of "this a call from Comcast."

Secondly, how is Comcast separate from Xfinity. I have never seen the relationship explained. I pay Comcast, but receive a burdensome load of emails from Xfinity. What's the differntiation?

New Poster

Yes, I agree. I just hung up on another call. My service here in Florida goes by Xfinity, not ComCast. Plus they're calling from a 646 number, which is Manhattan.