Community Forum

unable to cash refund check from Xfinity after disconnecting service

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

unable to cash refund check from Xfinity after disconnecting service

Peggy Dove here...I have been a Comcast customer since 1999 and had to discontinue my service in Jan. 2020...I am disabled and all these years, my housemate, Kathleen Bryant has paid the monthly bill and I reimbursed her from my disability check.  She was never late with payment except for only once in all these years which, I thought would make me a good customer, however, I am finding out that Comcast doesn't care about my issue.  Ms. Bryant paid the last bill with her Discover card in the amount of 235.32 and, after she turned in all the equipment, Xfinity issued a refund check of only 235.13.  Since I do not have a checking account (I am unable to maintain one due to mty disability) I cannot cash this check.  I reached a customer service rep and asked why they did not credit that amount from her Discover card which is how the last bill was paid, and was told it was their policy to issue the check to the name of the person on the account....He also added it was not his fault I did not have a bank account, and after all of my suggestions to remedy this, his only response was there was nothing more he could do.  So, in essence, Xfinfity still has my money for services I am not getting.  I even wrote them a letter to the address listed on the check and sent it certified, return receipt requested asking them the reissue the check including her name, or to credit her Discover card and, nothing has transpired.  So this is how they treat their former customers, who paid the bills on time for 21 years straight! 

Highlighted
Expert

Re: unable to cash refund check from Xfinity after disconnecting service

@akbryant 

Easiest solution is to sign the check over to her so that she can either deposit it in her banking account, cash it for you, or apply it to her Discover card.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I have no picture ID as I don't d(sorive so attempting to sign my check over to anyone will not work because their bank will not accept it without a picture ID.  Xfinity will not reissue a check payable to Peggy Dove or (someone else's name).  That would be the only solution, but since I am not an existing customer, they are not willing to work with me.  This means they get to keep my money.  And I need it worse than they.  Paying the bill ontime since 1999 means nothing to them.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Have you checked on getting a state ID card?  I've never heard of a state that didn't issue ID cards to non-drivers.  Was the ID card the only thing that kept you from having your own bank account?

Here's a website I googled up which lists the procedures by state.  (It's not a government website, just someone's website that has collected a bunch of info.)

https://www.dmv.org/id-cards.php