Community Forum

self install dilemma

New Poster

self install dilemma

i had comcast initially, switched back recently, was given self install and told comcast tech came out and connected from outside but, my direct tv still works in the lines. what must i do to get my comcast boxes to work with the same wiring?
Expert

Re: self install dilemma

Hi @sylvee

That can be pretty complicated as DTV is wired completely differently than Comcast. DTV also typically disconnects Comcast outside. I'd recommend a tech visit.

I am not an employee.
New Poster

but supposedly Xfinity came out yesterday and connected the outside wiring. though I never saw or heard anyone and was right by the window where the hookups are
New Poster

question for you....
the lines inside the house that I currently plug into my tv, is the same used for comcast boxes correct.
only the outside connections need to be changed out?
New Poster

and what about the internet?
Expert

Yes, the wires inside are the same. Comcast may have physically disconnected your home -- so when they say they reconnected, they may have just done so at the pole. Typically you would need a tech to connect your outlets (including internet) correctly. If you want to try on your own... Comcast mainline-->2-way splitter-->one port feeds the modem, other port feeds another splitter that feeds everything else.

I am not an employee.
New Poster

these are the cords outside with att still connected. I see one cave that appears to be comcast hanging that I'm assuming needs to be connected
20180705_110012.jpg
New Poster

is this comcast wire to be connected outside
I also see a hanging ground wire
20180706_190048.jpg
Official Employee

Theoretically, the tech did what he’s supposed to do. It’s now up to you to take your lines from the directv splitter (the green one) and connect them to the Comcast line that’s connected ( cable with purple labeled fitting) with a different type of splitter than the directv splitter. Or get a tech out do a failed self install.
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!