Community Forum

replacing Technicolor XB6 with Arris XB6

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

replacing Technicolor XB6 with Arris XB6

Hello,

I would like to replace my Technicolor XB6 modem/router (model CGM4140COM) with the Arris XB6 (model TG3482G).  I'm happy with the features of the XB6, but unhappy with the Technicolor model's loud fan and occasional dropping of the wifi signal.  From what I've read on this forum, the Arris model doesn't have these issues.  However, it seems that it's difficult to get this replacement done.  I'll call my local Comcast store when they open to give it a try.  Just wondering if anyone here might be able to help.  Thanks!

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Re: replacing Technicolor XB6 with Arris XB6

I called tech support and learned that it's not possible to find out over the phone if a given xfinity store has the Arris XB6 in stock or not.  The only way is to go there in person and ask them to physically check the inventory.  The manufacturer's part number is apparently not discoverable from the store's computer inteface.

The tech support representative set up a service appointment for me and specified that the tech should bring the Arris part.  When he arrived, he did have one of those, but he told me that it was just lucky, as he didn't think there was actually any way to reserve one from a particular manufacturer for a service appointment.

Anyway, the story has a happy ending, as the Arris is indeed very much quieter than the Technicolor.