Community Forum

"Comcast" called about internet speeds

New Poster

"Comcast" called about internet speeds

Hello,

I'm not sure if this is the correct to place for this, but I received a call from 844-250-8578 saying they were from comcast. I initially didn't answer because I screen calls and figure if it is something important that person can leave a message. I decided to call back and it gave me a comcast prerecording and a gentlemen then answered the phone. They told me that my internet speeds were running slower than normal and wanted to help me fix it. They asked for the number associated with the account, and I gave it. (my cell) Then they asked with whom they were speaking, which I gave them my first name because I was skeptical. He suggested I check wires in the back and see if they were tight enough. Then he just asked on a scale of 1-10 how likely I was to offer Comcast to friends or family. I'm trying to see if this person is actually associated with Comcast. If they are not I am also concerned, if I gave too much "personal" information if my first name and telephone number is considered that at all.

Official Employee

Re: "Comcast" called about internet speeds

Hi Chas90, anytime you're unsure about a caller from Comcast verifying your information you can always ask them for their agent ID number and you don't have to provide any specific information besides your full name and account number. You can also have the agent verify how many cable boxes you have in your home or the last 4 digits of your equipment's serial numbers. 

New Poster

Re: "Comcast" called about internet speeds

I can't believe that Comcast customer service 50% says these calls are bogus and then 50% say they are legit. Local Comcast office told me to BLOCK the phone number LOL