Community Forum

phone scam

Frequent Visitor

phone scam

on 7/20/2018 I got a call from number that h as d a Comcast header. when I answered a man with an Indian accent told me my internet and WiFi was compromised by others. He said I need to have our people come sat at 11am to exchange my WiFi modem. He said I would need to go to a store and purchase a google card to give to his person he sends. I was suspicious and called Comcast. the agent said it was a scam but that she detected the wires for cable are showing problems at the pole. so sat 2 more calls from Comcast came in and it was the same guy as before. I just hung up. Now today mon. 23, I take time off and wait for the tech to show up. he told me everything is fine even at the pole. what i can't figure out is why nobody takes this serious, I mean these call come with Comcast headers and they aren't showing any care except don't answer.
Silver Problem Solver

Re: phone scam

All these scam calls have spoofed numbers. Comcast, or any company, cannot control what scammers spoof. Just ignore these calls.

New Poster

I just got a call also, showing on the Caller ID:

COMCAST

1-877-543-3961 

6:42 PM July 25

Like your call, it also sounded like a call center (noise in background). A man with Indian dialect speaking told me they are calling because there are 2 people using my wifi account for illegal purposes. The fact that the Caller ID on my phone said "COMCAST" is the only reason I didn't hang up immediately, though I was very wary.  I stayed on the line a little longer and then he told me the names of the people who are using my wifi and asked if I know them. Next, he asked "Are you near your computer?  I need to  sign on...."  At that point, I knew it was a scam as I suspected at first and I told him I know it's a scam and hung up. But it really threw me that the Caller ID said "COMCAST".  It is easy to get tricked into thinking it is real and I consider myself pretty savvy as far as falling for a scam. I am sure someone with less security awaremess would believe them. So then I called Comcast to try to report it to Security. That was at 6:49 PM. I have been holding on ever since (40 minutes so far) with horrible music that is loud and painfully scratchy! It is not even easy to find out how to contact Comcast security when I searched on the Xfinity site. This is unacceptable! Beware of these calls!

Frequent Visitor

ty...He also wanted me to purchase a google card and someone would come to my house next day. That is the really freaky part.
Contributor

Today, 8/27/18 received similar call from 877-543-3961.  Person cllaimed to be from Comcast and said there was suspicious activivity on my comcast email account.  He wanted me to sign on to my account so he could help me which I refused to do.  Clearly a scam call seeking to get control of my computer.  I called the legitimate Comcast support number to report the scam.  Rep checked my account adn said all was fine but did not seem all that concerned about the use of the number by the scammer.