Community Forum

modem upgrade: alternative to dualband wireless gateway?

New Poster

modem upgrade: alternative to dualband wireless gateway?

- My current cable modem for comcast-xfinity internet works fine.
 - I recently received a gateway modem by ups from comcast, which I did Not ask for.
 - I do not want to host any comcast public hotspot.

The XFINITY.COM  site states:"
Your XFINITY Wireless Gateway broadcasts an additional “xfinitywifi” network signal, creating an extension of the XFINITY WiFi network right in your home. This service is completely separate from your secure, private home WiFi network and allows guests to sign in and connect without sharing your secure network password. Your Home Hotspot is included with your service at no additional charge."

- I do not want to participate in hosting the XFINITY Wireless Gateway network. Prefer lower levels of EMF (electro magnetic field) radiation, which is contratry to hosting a public hotspot.

- I am looking for an alternative compatible modem to purchase which has a hardware option to turn off wifi, directly on the modem rather than depending on a comcast software option to disable wifi.

- I'd very much appreciate help in finding an officially supported cable modem with  the ability to turnoff wifi directly on the modem device. Thank-you.

New Poster

Re: modem upgrade: alternative to dualband wireless gateway?

I'm starting to look on this page:

https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com/

For retail cable modems (no wifi), and then perhaps a router