Community Forum

increase in bill

Highlighted
New Poster

increase in bill

With no prior notification, my bill was increased by $8.50.  I have yet to get an answer and am curious why the second largest broadcast and cable television company in the world needs to increase my bill since it owns and operates the Xfinity residential cable communications subsidiary, Comcast Business, a commercial services provider, Xfinity Mobile, an MVNO of Verizon, over-the-air national broadcast network channels (NBC, Telemundo, TeleXitos and Cozi TV), multiple cable-only channels (including MSNBC, CNBC, USA Network, Syfy, NBCSN, and E!, among others), the film studio Universal Pictures .  Incidently, its customer satisfaction often ranks among the lowest in the cable industry.  I have seen no additional benefits from the increase billing and may begin looking around at other providers.

Highlighted
Expert

Re: increase in bill

@RWD240 wrote:

With no prior notification, my bill was increased by $8.50.  I have yet to get an answer <snip>

Notices of increases are usually found in the notes section of your monthly billing statement.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Mine also the Taxes and Fees DOUBLED. $6.00 to over $13.00.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I was contacted by Comcast and told that my "Broadcast TV Fee" was the majority of my increase. I asked if this was a govt. fee or something from Comcast, I was told it was an annual increase from Comcast. I still didn't understand what this fee was for so I did some research.

Broadcast TV Fee: What is it anyway?

If you’re wondering “what is a broadcast TV fee,” you’re not alone. Tens of millions of cable subscribers across the country pay their television providers for a broadcast TV fee or a broadcast TV surcharge or one of their equivalents without any any idea what those fees and surcharges mean. So, what is a broadcast TV fee for?

The short answer? Nothing.

The long answer is that broadcast TV fees are a way for cable companies to extract a little bit more profit from you, without it looking like a price hike. They aren’t a required government tax and they haven’t always existed. They’re a clever billing trick. 

I totally understand internet, tv, equipment fess going up, but this fee without an explanation is totally ridiculous.

totally ridiculous

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Broadcast TV Fee: What is it anyway?

If you’re wondering “what is a broadcast TV fee,” you’re not alone. Tens of millions of cable subscribers across the country pay their television providers for a broadcast TV fee or a broadcast TV surcharge or one of their equivalents without any any idea what those fees and surcharges mean. So, what is a broadcast TV fee for?

The short answer? Nothing.

The long answer is that broadcast TV fees are a way for cable companies to extract a little bit more profit from you, without it looking like a price hike. They aren’t a required government tax and they haven’t always existed. They’re a clever billing trick.