Community Forum

eBay Promotion Scam

Highlighted
New Poster

eBay Promotion Scam

I am a victim of an eBay related telephone promotion scam where I was offered a super discount on my new Xfinity service if I would immediately purchase $225 worth of eBay gift cards from a local retailer and call them back with the card numbers.  It was one of my stupid days, so I did it.  Then they called back and said those cards were "blocked" so they would send me a check for $300 for my trouble, but only if I would go out and buy two more cards in that amount.  This time I woke up.  So I am now in possession of two worthless eBay gift cards and I I'm out $225 that was charged to my credit card.  My bank is trying to assist me with disputing this charge, but they don't hold out much hope.  And eBay has not been helpful at all, after numerous attempts.  I'm telling this story to help anyone who can avoid this and also in the hope that someone might have a suggestion of how to get my money back.  Thanks for listening.

Highlighted
Expert

Re: eBay Promotion Scam

@dbcopeland wrote:

I am a victim of an eBay related telephone promotion scam where I was offered a super discount on my new Xfinity service if I would immediately purchase $225 worth of eBay gift cards from a local retailer and call them back with the card numbers.  It was one of my stupid days, so I did it.  Then they called back and said those cards were "blocked" so they would send me a check for $300 for my trouble, but only if I would go out and buy two more cards in that amount.  This time I woke up.  So I am now in possession of two worthless eBay gift cards and I I'm out $225 that was charged to my credit card.  My bank is trying to assist me with disputing this charge, but they don't hold out much hope.  And eBay has not been helpful at all, after numerous attempts.  I'm telling this story to help anyone who can avoid this and also in the hope that someone might have a suggestion of how to get my money back.  Thanks for listening.

Sadly, this happens a lot.  I'm sorry you had one of those momentary lapses.  ☹️

You might search around the eBay website to see if you can find some way to report this to them.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

Thanks for your post. I received a phone call today from 1-800-934-6489 and told me that I was qualified for a new promotion from Comcast as "Comcast has mercy on it's customers during the coronavirus crisis". The promotion was my month rate would be changed to $24.99 including everything for 2 years without any contract. I am now paying around $70 so this is a good deal. Once I agreed to the deal I was then transferred to the supervisor to generate a promo code. The Supervisor told me that in order to take advantage of the deal, I need to pre-pay for the first 8 months (which would be $200) and then I will start to receive monthly bill from Comcast again for the rest of the 16 months ($24.99/mon) monthly as usual. However I have to go to retail chain to get a $200 ebay gift card as "ebay sponsors this deal". I then call Comcast billing office at 1-888-231-8264 and give them my promocode and the ebay gift card number. If I can do this before 10 pm today, I will also receive a $100 visa gift card in mail in 2-3 days. This is such a complicated deal. and it is a little to good to be true. So I googled it and found your post. Thanks for posting your experience! I wonder who can go after these phone numbers and get these crooks. 

Highlighted
New Poster

I also received a call today much like the ones posted here. My scam would have been for $300. Alarms were going off in my head that (1) it seemed very involved to get a deal that Comcast has offered before and (2) the account is no longer in my name!  I actually questioned the person on the line that this didn't seem quite right and he stayed perfectly calm and assured me he was calling from a Comcast billing number 888-231-8264. He knew my name and the address that I am receiving the Comcast services, which is concerning. He gave clear (involved) instructions and made me repeat them. He took the time to get a specific promotion card number, which he even had to correct himself. It started to feel authentic and I probably would have done it, but I was not feeling well and felt I should stay home due to covid fears. So glad I found this posting before I did something foolish. 

Highlighted
New Poster

Correction to my post...I got a call from 800-934-6489 and not the billing number that I was to call back. My phone identified the 800 number as Comcast

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Please keep in mind that there are apps for cell phones that allow anyone (not just people who know what they are doing) to call you from any number they chose.  Some of the apps also have voice changing features.  Caller ID has not been trustworthy for a very long time and now the kid next door can easily do it.

Scammers like gift cards because they are anonymous and act like cash – they don’t have the kinds of laws protecting the consumer that credit cards have. Any time anyone suggests that you need to buy a gift card, you should get super suspicious.

It's easy to call every number and just ASSUME they have Comcast.  If they don’t, they can just hang up and go to the next victim, or try a fast pivot to some other scam. These people do this as their "job".  They sit there all-day scamming people on the phone.  When it doesn't work on you, they can just dial your number+1 and try again.

Highlighted
New Poster

Another person happy to have found quick confirmation that this was a scam, even while I was talking with the agent. They are very "cool" and acted not-worried when I said I would call comcast before going out of my way to try paying my bill with a gift card.