Community Forum

bait and switch

New Poster

bait and switch

Not a question but a complaint. Xfinity has burned me twice since we started our account in 2015. We had a two year contract at a given price and after a year, it was almost doubled. This past spring we called to reorganize our account and they lowered out cost a few percent as we locked into another two year deal. Since then you have taken away channels that we had and continue to take away channels and want us to pay an additional fee to get them back. Now, we are locked in until 2022 and are paying the same as our channel choices decrease. we will never use xfinity again once this contract is up.  The old bait and switch.  Been burned way too often from you guys

Expert

Re: bait and switch

@tdomanchuk1960 wrote:

Not a question but a complaint. Xfinity has burned me twice since we started our account in 2015. We had a two year contract at a given price and after a year, it was almost doubled. This past spring we called to reorganize our account and they lowered out cost a few percent as we locked into another two year deal. Since then you have taken away channels that we had and continue to take away channels and want us to pay an additional fee to get them back. Now, we are locked in until 2022 and are paying the same as our channel choices decrease. we will never use xfinity again once this contract is up.  The old bait and switch.  Been burned way too often from you guys

There is no bait and switch here, nor any conspiracy to garner more money.  When Comcast isn't able to come to an agreeable deal with the network[s] because it would raise the rates to customers more than Comcast would like, the deal falls through and the network is dropped from Comcast's lineup and what is available to customers.  It's a Catch 22 for Comcast: make the deal and raise customer rates and then listen to the complaints about how their bill keeps going up, or not make the deal and drop the network from the lineups available and listen to customer complaints about how the channel is dropped yet their bill stays the same.  Add into that where networks raise their price to Comcast, which Comcast accepts but doesn't pass along the increased cost to customers.  There is no win/win here for Comcast or customers.

The cost of bringing networks/channels to customers has been going up for a long time, and this isn't unique to Comcast - all ISPs feel the same thing.  Take The Big Bang Theory, for instance.  CBS had to raise their rates to cable providers because the actors were getting $1M per episode to continue the show.  That is just one show; think about the actors' salaries in other shows.  Then think about all of the people that make it possible to bring you those shows: writers, directors, electricians, prop people, set developers, insurance policies, etc.  They all demand a salary.  In order for all of this production, the costs are passed along to the networks bringing you those shows.  So, the networks have to pass along the increased production costs to.....you guessed it...cable providers.  In turn, you get an increase in your cable bill.  So then, customers head for streaming services like Netflix, Hulu, HBO, etc, but even they raise rates from time to time, especially those that put on "original" programming.  Gotta pay the people that participate in bringing those "original" shows to the customers.  And, we won't discuss the costs for speedy internet to bring those streaming shows to you.  Technology is expensive.

There's no bait and switch; it's not done deceptively; there's no conspiracy to empty customer's wallets.  It's just reality and the way businesses work.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

I just experienced classic bait and switch. When my 2 year contract expired, the customer rep sold me a package that was quoted to total 107 with included planned annual increases. When I get my new bill it states that my new monthly charge will be 117.  I plan to drop the television end of my subscription and submit complaints to any agency that will listen.

Expert

@billy00 wrote:

I just experienced classic bait and switch. When my 2 year contract expired, the customer rep sold me a package that was quoted to total 107 with included planned annual increases. When I get my new bill it states that my new monthly charge will be 117.  I plan to drop the television end of my subscription and submit complaints to any agency that will listen.

Did they perhaps mention that the plan would cost $107 if you signed up for autopay and ecobill?  That would drop the $117 down to $107.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

They did me the exact same way.  GAve me the channels they later took them away and told me I have to pay to upgrade. They did this to me twice and like you I will not be renewing. This has got to be crimminal. I have to honor their contract but they don't have too.

Regular Visitor

Excuse me sir but in my case the channels were not dropped but added to another package. In other words pay to upgrade and get them back. They have to honor theiron contract as well...