Community Forum

anyone eles notice their data usage suddenly double or increase in january?

Frequent Visitor

anyone eles notice their data usage suddenly double or increase in january?

I have been monitoring my data usage daily using the xfinity data usage web page, i know it is not very accurate on a daily basis. but i used to average about 250GB per month. January it jumped to over 400GB used. 

Even when I look at xfinity's own graphs you can see i was only around the 250 mark each month.

I have not done anything different. I got rid of netflix long ago. I only watch movies and tv through the xfinity stream  service on my roku.

I am perplexed. I wish there was a better way to monitor this. Even using win10 usage meter shows i use half of what xfinity says for the month.

anyone else in the same boat as me?

Expert

Re: anyone eles notice their data usage suddenly double or increase in january?

These folks deal with data usage inquires:

Customer Security Assurance 

• Business Hours: 6:00am - 2:00am EST, 7 days a week

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

I am dealing with the exact same thing right now and plan to contact comcast about it later today. I've had the same acount for years and never got close to approaching my 1024GB limit. I usually only made it halfway to the 1024GB. Then for some reason in August 2018 i skyrocketed all the way up to 93GB over the 1024GB limit and one of my courtesy months got used to cover overage. Last month the same thing happened, i went over my limit and my final courtesy month was used to cover overage. I have not changed anything in the entire time i have been with comcast but my GB usage has skyrocketed for some reason. I hav netflix/hulu/prime but i have always had all of those services so it's nothing new. My personal usage hasn't changed in the slightest but i am being billed for double what i believe i should be billed for. I have even changed all my passwords. Like i said, i am contacting comcast later today to find out what the deal is.

New Poster

Wordyman (or anyone)—were you able to get an answer/solution? I’m running into the same issue. Nothing in our household has changed and our usage is doubling almost exactly. Wanting to catch this before we lose our courtesy months too!
Frequent Visitor

I’ve used all my courtesy months and am now in a never ending battle to get Comcast to credit my account for devices we found using my data that I don’t even own.

I had a $200 overage for what they say was over 2,000gb of data used in a month. I have Netflix/Xbox/Hulu......
New Poster

I contacted Comcast and they indicated i have to call their data usage department at 1-877-807-6581 between 6am-2am EST.  I spent 30minutes to get that information and no help what-so-ever and didn't have time to call the data dept after talking to the regular internet customer service. Ever since i used my last courtesy month i have been tracking my daily usage on the comcast website usage meter and although i will get close, i won't go over this month. I will keep tracking my daily usage to make sure i don't have any problems in the future, but i am convinced they just "adjusted" my usage to use up my courtesy months. As i said, i haven't changed anything in the last year and i just find it quite odd that my data usage skyrocketed for only 2 months and then went back down. If i see that i am getting too high on my data usage again, i will revisit and call the data usage dept but since i havn't lost any money yet, i am not immediately concerned. 

Frequent Visitor

Really keep an eye on it because since I have called my usage has gone down. But they are still giving me the run around for devices somehow connecting to my actual modem that I’ve never owned to credit me back the data I didn’t use.

They offered me free movie channels