Community Forum

ZoomTelephonics 5341J provisioning

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

ZoomTelephonics 5341J provisioning

Please check my modem and reprovision if necessary.  We recently upgraded to 200 Mbps service, but we are only achieving about half of that around 94 Mbps using Xfinity speed test.  

Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

Re: ZoomTelephonics 5341J provisioning

The 5341J is marginal for that speed. It's only an 8-channel device. Even though the packaging says it's good to 343Mbit, that assumes 100% usage of all 8 channels. Realistically, I wouldn't it use it much past 100-150Mbit. Consider getting a newer modem. New ones are either 32-channel, or DOCSIS 3.1 which can use a new method that allows up to 1Gbit+ speeds.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

@ComcastJK please check why my service is showing currently at 100 Mbps on my device page when we have subscribed to 200 Mbps service.  My modem shows it is supported by Comcast up to the 200 Mbps speeds.  Do I need to upgrade my modem to achieve the 200 Mbps even though it says it is supported?

Highlighted
Expert

That modem is capable of 200. I used to get it all day long when I had one. It probably hasn't received the updated boot / configuration file. Try power-cycling it to see if it will pull the new one. If not, you'll need a rep to correctly provision it for you. Good luck !

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I restarted the modem this morning and speed increased from the 80 Mbps range to about 94 Mbps. I see a discrepancy on My Equipment page that shows my plan speed as 100 Mps. How do I contact a rep to fix my account and provision what I actually ordered which is 200 Mbps?
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

This has been resolved by Xfinity technical representative over the phone.  After our phone call, I tested with a brand new laptop connected directly to my Zoom 5341J modem with CAT 5e cable.  It shows now I have slightly more than my plan speed at 236 Mbps.