Community Forum

You should not need my social security # to set up service

Regular Visitor

You should not need my social security # to set up service

I don't appreciate your policy of asking for my social security number to set up a new service.

I am a long-time customer and there must be another way of verifying my reliability besides using something that should NOT be given out readily.

Today I tried to set up a Comcast service in a new state, because I am moving.

The representative on the other end said I needed to give him my SS# to run a credit check, or pay a $50.00 deposit and physically go to a Comcast office to pick up my modem.

I am moving across the country so of course I cannot just walk into a Comcast store where I am moving to, BECAUSE I AM NOT THERE YET.

He assured me that the number doesn't stay on his screen, just the last 4 digits.

Why do you need the last 4 digits to verify us? Can't we just use a pin number?

What i want to know is - how can we customers be assured that these agents are not writing our SS# down or storing them in some other way? How are we protected from others who might be skimming these points of entry of our SS#?

And - you certainly must know how vulnerable it makes us to identity theft so why put us in that position?

There must be a better way for you to do this. I hope you respond appropriately as this practice is highly questionable and I am sure you realize that it does lose you customers.

Please, let me and others know if you are willing to consider another solution to this outrageous practice.

Problem Solver

Re: You should not need my social security # to set up service

If you are that wound up about it then just pay the $50 and be done with it.  They told you they need you ss# for a credit check. 

Gold Problem Solver

jeanmarietoday wrote:

I don't appreciate your policy of asking for my social security number to set up a new service.

I am a long-time customer and there must be another way of verifying my reliability besides using something that should NOT be given out readily.

Today I tried to set up a Comcast service in a new state, because I am moving.

The representative on the other end said I needed to give him my SS# to run a credit check, or pay a $50.00 deposit and physically go to a Comcast office to pick up my modem.

I am moving across the country so of course I cannot just walk into a Comcast store where I am moving to, BECAUSE I AM NOT THERE YET.

Seems to me if you are a long time customer they can look at you account and payment history.

It also is silly to run a credit check or require a deposit when a customer moves and sets up service in a new area.

I am escalating your post to the forum administrator. An official employee will reply. Please check back every once in a while for a reply by one of them.

Admin1

Hi jeanmarietoday,

I can help answer these questions.

As you were told by the agent you spoke with, we do run a credit check when setting up new service. You're given the option of providing your SS# or declining. If you decline, a deposit will be required. 

While we do enter the entire SS#, the first 5 numbers are hidden. The last 4 are used for account verification. When you call to ask questions about your account, it's an easy way to verify that the agents are taking to you. If you don't provide the SS#, they can also verify by using a combination of birthday, phone# on the account, and address.

We do understand that this is sensitive information and not everyone is comfortable providing this information and will have concerns about agents keeping this information. We have training programs in place to make agents aware of how customers are going to feel about this process and also what the consequences are if they keep your information. 

This is a process that will continue to be reviewed as we look for ways to improve these processes. 

New Poster

I had same issue today with customer service asking for my social which seemed very odd due to fact that I was calling from phone # on file which system had already confirmed. I then also confirmed the address but still had to give my social. Since I was already calling from the # on file it's obvious I was who I said I was and not someone trying to mess with someone else's account. In this day in age it is ridiculous to be asking for anyone's social. The more socials are asked for and given the more comcast and other organizations are putting their customers at risk of identity theft. They should care but they obviously do not. It is clearly why so many people are trying to find alternatives to using comcast as a provider. In addition to this being invasion of privacy and putting customers at risk their prices are way to high especially for loyal customers. They just do not care. It is really tiresome.

Bronze Problem Solver

May not be appropriate to jump in, but here goes:

QE's correct, Comcast can look your record up and waive this requirement, if they choose to.  Zach is stuck;  has to toe the party line.  I looked at my SSI card.  It's an old one;  it clearly stated (in ALL CAPS):  NOT TO BE USED FOR IDENTIFICATION PURPOSES.  Apparently we've allowed that to change.

If it were me, if Comcast took a hard line on this, I'd look elsewhere.  They're not so much a monopoly anymore.  DirecTV has been very good to me since I took a Comcast CSR's advice to look elsewhere.

New Poster

I just called to set up new service for my mom. After waiting an eternity, the gal tells me I need to give her my mom's SS# which I won't do. Comcast certainly cannot guarantee the safety of that #. Then she tells me an alternative is a $50 deposit by credit card, which my mom would not want to do as she pays everything by check (also fearful of credit card fraud). Seems like Comcast isn't ineterested in setting up new accounts. Perhaps the colution is over-the-air TV and internet via AT&T wireless. The biggest ccable company in the world and their affraid some little old lady will stiff them for a months worth of TV - pretty pathetic customer service.

Official Employee

Hello @clk3. We're sorry you feel that way. When establishing a new account, we certainly use a SSN to identify who is setting up service and in some cases to run a credit screening, and you opt out, we secure the account with a prepaid deposit. This is part of our business model. 

Please reach out if you need any further assistance. 

Official Employee

Hello, the information provided is correct. 

New Poster

The last four digits are the most important in order to comitt identity fraud.  It is ridiculous that Comcast requires this info as there are many other ways to identify someone's account.  They have had my incorrect SSN on file for years.  the last two times I visited the main office I asked them to change it, but they never did.  Now they have changed their policy and require the last four digits before they can schedule any service visit. Having been a customer for over fifteen years, I baulked and threatened to cancle my account if they did not schedule the needed service.  The call went to a "supervisor" and then to the person who is supposed to talk you out of canceling your service.  They would not relent.  I ended up calling back to find out what documentation I needed to verify my SSN when I did visit the office and THIS call center used common sense.  I could verify my account using other information and they made the appointment for me as long as I updated my SSN at my earliest convenience.  That was the right way to handle the issue.  Come to find out, all you need to do is visit the office and tell them to update your SSN and the will do it.  Having an account for 15 years - you can see my payment history.  Just give them a fake number if they insist.  They could care less about service and their customers, longtime or new.  

Official Employee

Hello DDickerson17. We certainly value your business and we are sorry you feel that way. We try to take necessary steps to protect you and your account security. As you have found, we are able to use other forms of verification to access the established account.

If there is anything further I can do for you please let me know. 

Expert
Moved: