Community Forum

Xfinity showing extremely high data usage. Can't get any help from Xfinity

New Poster

Re: Xfinity showing extremely high data usage. Can't get any help from Xfinity

I'm seeing the same things that many have already discussed on this forum. Mine started in November 2017 and since that time I have installed apps to track usage on each device that connects to the internet. Since November 2017 I've not been close to hitting the data cap, but along the way I've kept a spreadsheet that demonstrates DAILY usage as per Comcast and DAILY usage as per the devices. In the time that I've been keeping records Comcast is anywhere from 50% to 95% off. 

Today took the cake though. I started up my Mac at 6:02 am and noticed that I had already used up 3 GB between the time I went to bed and woke up. Comcast's usage meter online showed heavy usage between 2 am and 4 am - I was asleep and all devices were disconnected from the internet/modem except for the Xfinity modem and cable boxes. By 6:40 am this morning I had used up another 3 GB as per Comcast. The ONLY machine on and connected was my Mac which had used 197 MB in that time frame. So between about 10:30 pm the previous day and 6:40 am the next I had used up 6 GB. Really?! I turned off my Mac - like I do every day since the November issue and went to work. While at work at 2 pm I checked usage again. Guess what? Another 5 GB in the Xfinity bank. No one was home and every device was OFF! So a total of 11 GB in just over 12 hours time! My total usage on all devices for the day was less than 500 MB as reported by the devices themselves. The line of questioning regarding bots and viruses doesn't hold here because I know precisely how much data each machine is using and it fits within my usage patterns. There is nothing excessive on a device by device basis. 

I did call Xfinity today and essentially got nowhere. She used the same line of questioning that most on this forum have already heard. She could not give me one straight answer to many of my questions. The rep stated she was going to escalate the issue and I'd hear back in 24-72 hours. 

Interestingly, what I did on a whim was to reset the modem remotely. Guess what? Since that time usage has been nil today. I did ask the rep if by chance their equipment would have a data leak or be affected by virii. She stated emphatically, "No.". I didn't expect anything different. We'll see how this unfolds, but as of now I've got 5 months of data that refutes my reported data use by Xfinity/Comcast. Something very fishy is going on or their equipment plainly is at fault. Will it be fixed? Probably not. The alternatives out there are slim for our locale. Very very frustrating. 

New Poster

I experienced the exact same problem. In the end I found out the 19 other people outside my home were using my WiFi data supplied by xfinity. Don't know how they were able to use it but they were. I changed passwords, exchanged xfinitu routers, installed the XFI apt by xfinitu to monitor who was using my service. BINGO , there were only 2 others using it.. so install the XFI app and you can monitor your WiFi and remove, block, pause any device that is able to jump on your service. You can set the amt of hrs any device on your wifi can use. Once you block/forget the free riders it is permanent.
New Poster

Has this been resolved but I anyone yet. I don't deny using a lot of internet in my house, with my wife and 3 kids. But around the time this thread started is when I started getting hit with $50 extra a month for over use. I didn't make much of it because I figured, ok, that's possible. But now it's become $150 a month, and our usage habits haven't changed at all.
New Poster

I have have read numerous instances of what we are experiencing a sudden unusual spike in data usage. Our data usage suddenly spiked from a previous six month high 356 GB in March folllowed by 185 GB in April, 236 GB in May, to 48 GB in June, to 204 GB in July to suddenly 1.78 TB in August (with 150 GB added in the last 48 hours) with no real change in any of our activities except our June vacation. We have done everything mentioned on the forum. This happened to us about 1.5 years ago and then went away. We have an Xfinitity modem and we have rare streaming of games and ran occasional use of YouTube downloads - accounts for a few GB's at most.  Following the similar experiences of other posters, it is clear  that the spike is driven at your end, not our's!!!!  So give us a real answer, not the bunk about a modem or usage at our end. Otherwise, our next call may be to Century Link.

Very frustrated with your responses.

Lawrie and Gwen Robertson

Expert

@lgrrr wrote:

I have have read numerous instances of what we are experiencing a sudden unusual spike in data usage. Our data usage suddenly spiked from a previous six month high 356 GB in March folllowed by 185 GB in April, 236 GB in May, to 48 GB in June, to 204 GB in July to suddenly 1.78 TB in August (with 150 GB added in the last 48 hours) with no real change in any of our activities except our June vacation. We have done everything mentioned on the forum. This happened to us about 1.5 years ago and then went away. We have an Xfinitity modem and we have rare streaming of games and ran occasional use of YouTube downloads - accounts for a few GB's at most.  Following the similar experiences of other posters, it is clear  that the spike is driven at your end, not our's!!!!  So give us a real answer, not the bunk about a modem or usage at our end. Otherwise, our next call may be to Century Link.

Very frustrated with your responses.

Lawrie and Gwen Robertson

All high data usage questions should be directed to Customer Security Assurance at 1-888-565-4329.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Get a third party cable modem for internet & voice such as Netgear CM500V and a wireless router that will let you restrict access to specified MAC addresses.  This should keep any unwanted access.

Tom

New Poster

My internet went out on Oct. 5th. Comcast were unable to get it back online. They suggest I unplug the modem for 12 hours which I do, amd ;eave it unplugged since I am going away fr the weekend. Evening of Oct 7th I plug it back in, still not working. I call comcast again, and this time, they get it fired up.  Then I start getting data usage alerts.  After speaking to many different departments, each who tell me different stories, someone indicates the modem used 300gb one day and 500gb the nexy day, all while my modem is not even connected.  So a clear breah or a network error at their end. Especially since the modem stopped working for me aroudn the same time the breach happened and somehow stopped Oct 7th. I have NEVER used more than 820GB a month. Days immediately prior and days immediately follwing show little use.  Data Assurance Security say I used the data.....it is entriely counter intuitive and  incredibly illogical based on 4 years of history, and that my internet was disconnected to say I used this....Totally hiding this issue and being totally dishonest about it.  They have a problem, and are bury it. 

New Poster

$30.00??? They told me it would be $50.00 a month for the unlimited.