Community Forum

Xfinity showing extremely high data usage. Can't get any help from Xfinity

Expert

Re: Xfinity showing extremely high data usage. Can't get any help from Xfinity

Have you had any other modems registered with Comcast in the past? If you look at your equipment list does it show anything other than your current equipment?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

geek - silly question time - DDOS?  Really?

Here's my beef - Comcast benefits from the high data usage.  There is no incentive for them to help.  For all their fussing (original work censored - lol) about how video streaming compromises their ability to deliver great service to all of their customers, I would expect their network team to be ALL OVER DDOS and other types of attacks.

Contributor

Well, just revisited this thread.  I too continue to have the very high data usage.  However, I have learned some interesting things about DOCSIS 3.0 and cable modems in general.  Some data points

1. Since others have mentioned going and getting a Comcast modem, I'll state that I do not have a comcast modem, mine is an Arris SURFBoard SB6121.  Tech said it would work fine.
  2. Comcast technical support regarding this matter is criminally insane.  I'm looking into canceling and will just pay the termination fee.
  3. Post after post after post - "Comcast says the change is probably due to a virus or unauthorized access."  Comcast, you're just lazy.

Worse, with so many people reporting usage up and down, you have lost all credibility.  You have MANY technically competitent people
    in this forum, most of them willing to work with you.  Your lame answers are an insult to their intelligence.

4. I've had three routers hooked up to my network - fairly high end ones.  Two different sets of software.  Nothing tracks with Comcast's alleged measurements.
  5. Installed Networx s/w to monitor.  Useful for Windows, nothing for Chromebooks yet.  Some casual relationship with Comcast, still way below.
  6. Chromebooks - evil, evil, evil.  Teenagers too.  Since I held off cancelling my uverse service (because of Comcast's notorious reputation), kicked the teen who wants to video chat all the time to it.  We shall see what happens.  Haven't been able to locate the app that will help me track her usage.
  7. Most cable modems allow access to the internals - very techy stuff.  For example, if you wanted to see your signal levels, you could do so.

Go to 192.168.100.1.  Of importance to usage, note your system up time then go to your signal page.  On my browser there is a section that states Codewords.  Data comes in across multiple channels.  The 6121 is a quad band.  When I add these codewords up, I get very close to the usage level that Comcast says I use.  Unbiased and untainted parties indicate this is an accurate measurement of data that has passed through the cable modem.  As I type this - my cable modem has been up for 26.5 days and has passed 407GB of data.  This value is not sync'd with Comcast's reset point (but it will be).

While that number above seems to track with the usage meter, I have yet to determine if the traffic through the cable modem actually belongs to me.

Note to Comcast level 2 support: Did you not even think to point me in this direction?

8. Next effort will be flashing a modem with open source and obtaining bettter statistics as to who is burning through the data.
  9. I have a theory that the initial rollout of the data usage meter and metrics was hideously botched.  Customers would never know this of course.  But when corrected, the accurate numbers would be a huge shock to most customers.  With some exceptions, I suspect we the customers have no idea how much data we're really using.

Note to comcast: your little estimation tool is seriously in need of an upgrade.  You also need to warn people that they may be using more data than they think.  Nah, you won't do it, I just know so.

10. For a 75 Mbps connection, 300GB/month is ridiculously low.  It's so low, you might think comcast doesn't want you streaming but using their service.  Business class is not an option as it's hideously overpriced.

So, it appears I may have data hogs under my roof.  I'm saying this now, because I've been very critical of Comcast.  I'll continue to be this way, but I want to be fair.  If I'm using the data, I'll pay for it one way or the other.  Side note before I forget - whoever is posting from Comcast, please change your "ComcastCares" title.  Salt in the wound.

Hope this is some help to anyone out there.....

Expert

@cgilley wrote:

1. ....On my browser there is a section that states Codewords.  Data comes in across multiple channels.  The 6121 is a quad band.  When I add these codewords up, I get very close to the usage level that Comcast says I use.  

Codewords have to do with forward error correction (FEC). Cable uses what is known as a Reed-Solomon (RS) encoder or interleaver to inject codewords or blocks of RS data which allow malformed packets to self-correct.

Your modem looks at every packet on its segment to see what packets/codewords are addressed to it. This is expressed by "Total Unerrored Codewords".

"Total Correctable Codewords" are the codewords that were addressed to your modem that were corrected.

And you guessed it -- "Total Uncorrectable Codewords" are the number of codewords that your modem couldn't correct.

It dosen't have anything to do with data usage. 

If you are really bored and you want to know exactly how Comcast's meter works, you can read this report. (pdf file)

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Problem Solver

Hello cgilley,

If you have questions about our data usage policies and protocol the best department to contact would be Customer Security Assurance(CSA) (888) 565-4329

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee.
I no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions
may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered?
Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Contributor

Sorry but I found that dept to be worthless in helping me. I talked to them many times. it's funny how that's really the only thing you can say because you don't really have anybody that can check into the situation. As I mentioned previously I was told I should check with the computer maker of my computer or Microsoft to see if they knew why my data usage was high. How about checking with the company that is telling me it is high and having them tell me where my suppossed high data usage is coming from instead of telling me to check with other companies.

Contributor

Umm, what other users said.  That group is a waste of oxygen.  Comcast has been told this again, and again, and again, ad nauseum.  Hint: that group doesn't help.

Contributor

Nerd-burg -

I understand some of DOCSIS 3 and cable speak, but I won't claim to be an expert by any sense of my imagination.  That your statement about codewords directly contradicts what I was told, but they are the ONLY numbers I have found that reasonably coordinate with the usage meter.

I've read this document, and it is useless.  There are THOUSANDS of customers who are *itching about their alleged data rates.  What the customers need is a document showing how they can track their usage, don't you think?  How come every router I have used - as well as s/w on all PCs don't show the same usage?

You have many, many people seeing their usage go up and down, for no apparent reason - hence my theory that the usage meter was originally botched.  I also have a friend who called Comcast to discuss usage.  Here was the conversation:

Him: hi, you say I'm using a lot of data.

CC: oh, you should make sure to change your password on your router.

Him: Umm, this past week you said I used 50GB of data.

CC: Like I said, you probably have someone using your router.

Him: I don't think so.  I've been out of town for a week.  The router has been off as well as the cable modem (he lives in a thunderstorm prone area).

CC: Ummmm

Him: so, if the cable modem is off, I can't be using data, right?

CC: Ummmm, we'll get back to you...

3 days later, his usage magically adjusted.

I freely admit to not trusting Comcast.

Regular Visitor

You have a bot, it hads nothing to do with WiFi. I had the same issue and finally cleared it by running Trojan Remover by Simply Super Software. I don't know if this will work for you, but I'd suggest trying it and any other bot/malware/virus remover you can find until it's gone. Norton, including power eraser, didn't work. Good luck.

Frequent Visitor

So far so good...

To be clear, comcast help is not much different than most tech help desks.  yes, some are better than others, but the classic line is "have you rebooted your computer?"  I would put "change your password" and "run malware scan" close to those words of help - however, there is a reason they are used as they can many times correct an issue.  that being said, the tone is often more along the lines of "if you can't figure it out, you have no business on a computer."   Comcast (and many other tech desks) need to know that many users have very little clue what to do and they could create tons of loyalty by being helpful.  but i digress....

Best I can figure, my massive data use started about the time i downloaded (or tried to download) the updated data meter from comcast.  I found  something called Troj/Upatre-np and once removed, my data usage issues seemed to die out (best I can tell i had massive data being sent via outlook.  btw, outlook for imac had some known issues as well that could have been part of the issue).  Not sure if the meter download was what caused the issue but I will say that so far, I have not been charged for my overage despite blowing through my 3 free overages.  Will have to give Comcast props for not charging me on my 4th - and to date largest - overage.  will give it another billing cycle before I am completely convinced they let it go, but so far thanks are in order

At the risk of sounding like the help desk we loathe, I would suggest anyone with data usage rerun scans.  I used avast but have to believe most will catch anything.   

EDIT:  Well I spoke too soon.  Comcast did charge me $30 for the overage of 150 GB.  Good news is data usage is still down but comcast is still comcast.  It better than dsl, but that seems to be setting the bar low....

New Poster

I have had this issue since January. Our usage didn't change but all of sudden, boom.  Big overages.  Is it because we have more intense data going on? Is it a Comcast scam? I have added the Norton anti virus that Comcast suggests and ran whatever bot scan they had.  Hasn't seemed to work.  Still getting a lot of usage.  I too run outlook for Mac, do you think that's an issue here?  I also use an apple router.

Contributor

so, all of these customers complaining had bots?

And my friend had a special bot that ran even when the modem was cut off?

Hmmm... 

Contributor

Well, I've made great strides in nailing down the data whirlpool.  I have a few teenagers in the house.  One poster suggested installing networx to collect data.  It took a while, but I made a tactical error - I trusted the little buggers.  Then I found the check box next to "Synchronize data usage with other Networx..."

So, what followed was a brief but stern discussion about what it was they were doing.  I am reasonably certain that one of them is live streaming while playing a game, the other is a youtube addict.  I've switched my router over to a whitelist mac setup to keep the buggers under control.

Contributor

The Comcast meter shows I have used 270GB of data in October and I have been monitoring my traffic with my Netgear Nighthawk iPad app and for the past 2 days. I have used 435.4 megabytes according to the Netgear traffice meter. So I am using less than half a gig in 2 days yet Comcast says I used 270GB in 22 days. Let's do the math 270 GB in 22 days is 12.3 GB/day and I am showing from my meter 207 - 213 megabytes usage per day. 2 days of monitoring my usage is not enough and I will continue to monitor on my own and check against the Comcast meter. I have my Nighthawk meter set to alert me when I approach the 300GB limit and to cut off the internet if I reach that limit. I'll keep everyone posted with my results as compared to Comcast's results. Is anyone else monitoring their usage, finding discrepancies and calling Comcast to talk about the discrepancies? Just curious how those calls go and any tips if I have to make that call.

New Poster

I don't have a monitoring tool other than it just seemed to change about a year ago.  When telling Comcast I think there is an issue with their meter such as its somehow doubling or some other malfunction, the only responses were, change password, use Norton antivirus, etc.  There was no investigation of the meter.  I predict somewhere down the road someone will prove an issue and either rebates will be forthcoming or a class action may take place.

Expert

@cgilley wrote:

.............. How come every router I have used - as well as s/w on all PCs don't show the same usage?

I have no idea. I don't know know enough about how the meter actually works (other than what I read in the report) and I never tested it myself in the real world. I do agree that Comcast should come up with something more useful than a clunky usage graphic though if they want to build trust with their customers. 

Contributor

The Comcast meter showed I used 15GB in 4 days (Oct. 20 - 24) while my traffic meter showed less than a GB was used in the same time period. In the last 24 hours Comcast meter shows I used 4GB of data while my traffic meter shows 122.4 megabytes used. I am not streaming, my PC is shut down, I am watching only Blu rays, I only use my iPad and there is greater than a 3GB discrepancy between the Comcast meter and mine in just 24 hours and over the past 5 days Comcast shows 19GB of usage and my meter shows 991 megabytes used and this is counting up and down loads. I don't have a Comcast wifi hotspot becuase I have my own modem and ran malware and virus scans on all devices and everything is clean. Something is wrong here.

Valued Contributor

bmacoms1-

After reviewing your Corporate Escalation ticket, I see that you have an assigned agent working on your data cap concerns. If you have any additional information you will like to provide, please send me a private messages the details of your concerns.

At the top of each Forum page you will see a small envelope

This is the icon for Private Messages, referred to as ‘PM’s’. A Private Message is a way to communicate in private, to another User, Moderator, or Administrator out of public view in the Forums.

The gray envelope icon will have a number next to it if you have any new messages waiting.

To open a PM to read it, double click on the envelope. If you click on the white envelope a window will open with tabs for your Private Message Inbox, Sent Messages, Friends, Ignored Users, and Compose new Message. You can also access this area by clicking on the Username in a Thread or post. By default, Private Messages are enabled. You can disable this feature in My Settings>Preferences> Private Messenger.

Frequent Visitor

Late to the discussion but having the same problem in Memphis area.  Over 100 GB in 3 days.  Lots of data while out of town last month.  Have swapped xfinity modem and will see if that helps.  Wireless has new password and is secured to allow only specific MAC addresses.  Other that pulling plug don't know anything else to do.

@jckrell wrote:

Memphisdata, i'm in the same area as you. Wondering how many others are having this problem in this area?

Contributor

bmacons1 - I see comcast sent you a private message for escalation.  Did you ever resolve your data usage discrepency?

cg

Problem Solver

Hello Oldjetdriver,

I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you. I have reached out to our CSA department for additional help regarding your concerns. Someone from that department will contact you within 24-72 hours. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please let us know.

Frequent Visitor

truth is data usage is down but not sure why.  i believe i found a virus on my wife's computer but that does not explain earlier high data usage. 

Contributor

Contributor

It seems my problem has returned. I am the one that started this post due to my internet usage suddenly going very high when I was doing nothing different than I had done in the past. Suddenly last summer my usage soared and I went over the 300 gb limit for 3 months in a row. After many calls to Xfinity trying to explain to them that I only used the internet for websurfing and emails and  I couldn't understand why my usage had suddenly gone up. The high usage lasted for about 3 months and then the usage mysteriously retuned to normal? You get 3 months of warnings so I was planning on changing internet service because my usage had gone to over 700 gb in a month which would have been too expensive to keep. Anyway, I've not had any problems for 3 or 4 months now. I check from time to time and my monthly usage had returned back to 150 - 200 gb a month. That is until now. This morning at 7:30am I received an email from Xfinitity saying my usage was at 90% of the 300 gb allowed for the month. I checked and it was at 276 gb however it was on Jan. 31st, the last day of the month and would reset the next day.  I left my house in the morning and returned at 3pm to find I had a new message, my usage was now at 110% of my allowed 300 gb. I checked and my usage was showing 321 gig. I had somehow used 45 gig of data in 7.5 hours?????????????. I just checked at 5pm and my usage is now 326 gig. This all happened on the very last day of the month and the data usage will reset tommorrow. It cost me an extra $10. Please tell me how I can use 50 gig of data in about 8 hours. I was not downloading anything. Nobody was at home during those hours. I never received an answer from Xfinity on this issue last summer. I received horrible customer service with people that could tell me nothing and only tell me that the problem was on my side, not theirs but they could not prove that. I strongly disagree. The problem is on Xfinity's side not mine. 

Contributor

So, no one is home, are any devices left on?  I just went up to the top to re-read.  Have you verified that the cablem modem you are using is the one they are using?  There is a way to check this.

I have other threads where I have discussed this issue.  My situation is different from yours though, as I have 4 other users - two teens, one young adult and a stay at home wife.  I installed something called NetWorx on all Windows based machines to track things.  This utility matched what was going through the cable modem and router and matched the data meter.

What I learned:

1. I think early versions of the data meter were wildly inaccurate.  You won't get Comcast to admit this.
  2. People use more data than they think.  I know I was stunned.  So are my kids who are paying for the overages Smiley Happy
  3. Comcast customer service has got to be some old science lab experiment that escaped from the lab.  In general, the people are nice, but Comcast as an organization is so hideously out of control.  I'm just waiting for some new tech to come along and move their cheese.
  4. There have been internal documents released instructing how customer service is to respond.  This is management telling them what to do.  See previous post.

To offer high speed bandwidth and then put limits is somewhat of a cruel joke.  The limits have NOTHING to do with controlling data hogs.  They exist for two purposes: raise revenue and protect the TV revenue pie.  Comcast knows they are directly threatened by Netflix and the cord cutters.

Recommendation: if their are alternatives, fire them.

Contributor

Just as an update to my previous post - I think there are multiple competitors waiting to eat Comcast's lunch.  I'm sure Comcast is not ignorant of the coming wireless (and cableless) revolution.  Examples:

http://www.cnet.com/news/verizon-to-hold-worlds-first-crazy-fast-5g-wireless-field-tests-next-year/

and

http://www.informationweek.com/mobile/google-skybender-drone-project-aims-to-deliver-5g-wifi-/d/d-id...

Problem Solver

Hello Jckrell,

It is unfortunate that this issue has resurfaced.  It isn't that no one here wants to help you, but simply that we lack the resources to troubleshoot this issues.  These issues are only handled by the Customer Security Assurance department.  You would need to contact them at (888) 565-4329.  If there is anything else we can do to help you, please let us know and we will be happy to assist you.

Contributor

KevinL,

Although we appreciate the thought, many of us have been down that path.  Many of us have deep technical knowledge of the issues we're struggling with.  Note that the data limits have been shown to just be a cash cow for Comcast, it has nothing to do with controlling the data hogs Smiley Happy.  More importantly, I think many of the data hogs don't even know how much data is moving.  So, Comcast's "not my problem" attitude (well documented) is irritating.

I would make a suggestion - maybe it's already being done.  The original poster says "Hello, have had Xfinity for my internet for years."  Now, I don't know exactly how long that is, but if you have a long time customer, and considering the cost of customer churn, maybe, just maybe, Comcast could institute a program that looks out for the long time customer - a dedicated support person perhaps.

Regards,

New Poster

My router shows all data traffic in and out. Login to your router and look at your usage. Take screen shots of the graphs and send them to Comcast. If they tell you you still owe them money, tell them you are cancelling your service.

Contributor

Oh Dixie, Dixie - good luck with that.  Every single time I have pointed out there numbers did not match, I got the simpleton level 1 response: "Have you changed your password, etc.".  Next they will forward your info to the next level where the answer will be "Our numbers are correct, it's not our problem."

Comcast certainly has a point - the amount of bot nets out there is enormous, but they are really trying to protect their legacy video delivery system.  300GB is an absurdly low level, so they are gouging as well.  So far, I've had overages of 194, 6, and 187GB.  I'm not stressing over it, I send the bill to my teens.

For me, I happen to have caught two of my teens using silly amounts of data (and it tracked with what comcast was reporting).  I still don't trust comcast, but for now I'll tolerate it.  The router I use allows me to radically throttle back their bandwidth Smiley Happy

Note to comcast: you're gone in 16 months.  I can't wait to see what deal you offer me when I call to cancel.

Highlighted
Contributor

Well, it has finally happened.  ATT is now offering a plan in my area with their new fiber optic service.  As soon as the highway outside of my subdivision is completed (major expansion), they'll be installing even faster service.  I'm eating the early termination fee.  Adios Comcast.

More channels, lower rates, and NO data caps.

Contributor

Oh good for you. I wish I had another good option but unfortunately I don't. My usage finally went back down to about 130-150 and has stayed there. Still, there was no explanation from Xfinity as to what happened the 4 months that it suddenly skyrocketed. I just did a search about all this since it's been awhile since i've had to deal with it. It seems as of Jun 01, 2016 Xfinity will increase the data cap from 300 gig to 1 terabyte. Their explanation is that 'They listened to the customers'.. They sure weren't listening to me. I also saw that Xfinity had more complaints to the FCC than any of the other providers. Three times more complaints than the second highest company. The complaints were from people not agreeing with the data that Xfinity was claiming for many people. If Xfinity just had a way to prove to me that my data usage was that high and provide me details about what was using the data but they were not able to provide anything like that. The only thing they provided me was a larger bill for the one month I went over after my 3 months or warnings.

Contributor

"It seems as of Jun 01, 2016 Xfinity will increase the data cap from 300 gig to 1 terabyte."

figures.  Assuming this is an official policy, it would have been nice if someone had told customers.  Adios Comcast, you're not worth the stress.

New Poster

Last night I received an email warning me that I was about to exceed one TERABYTE of data.  My husband and I are seniors: no kids in the house, no game players.  Yes, we stream up to 3 hours of HD video a day from Netflix or HBO Now, and send and receive emails.  Our previous three months of usage was about 250 GB.  I spent maybe 2 hours on the phone during 4 telephone calls, after doing some research on-line.  I was told my account probably had been hacked, so I needed to change my password.  The on-line utility didn't work, so I had to call again and explain the situation.  Got the password changed finally.

But then the tech guy told me hacking wasn't possible (and I'm sure it is) but we probably have a leaky coaxial cable...something about the aluminium leaking data!  I could barely hear the guy.  Now we need to wait a week for someone to come to our home to test the cables?

It seems like you all have heard these suggestions before...  And I doubt we have a bot because we have a brand new computer, but I'll run some scans anyway.  I think a Xfinity/Comcast is falsifying data.  And they're scaring us seniors, who don't have money enough to buy their unlimited plan for $600 more per year.  $1200 + for internet??  I don't think so...

Is MY time not valuable?  And I agree with someone else about treating loyal (over 10 years) customers with more respect.  Hello?..   Anyone out there??  Please help.

New Poster

My Comcast usage went from an average of 100GB/month to 1020GB last month and I nearly hit the cap. 

Spoke to someone @ Comcast Tier 1, then got thru to Tier 2. Basically she said they never have problems with the bandwidth counter, and it was likely malware in my home network. I ran "Norton Power Eraser" and "Malware Bytes" on both Windows PCs at my home network, changed wireless passwords, rebooted my Tivo.  Problem has gone away.  I would suggest running these two (free) tools on your computer before blaming the router.

I have a Arris  Surfboard SBG6782-AC

New Poster

The usage meter is saying is used 1200 GB in 12 DAYS. This is literally not even physically possible. Compare this to the 312 GB it says I used last month. Their counter has to be wrong, or they have someone else's modem attached to my account with a faster speed. I will check the mac address on the device and compare it with what Comcast has for me. In the mean time I have unplugged my modem and called Comcast to make them verify that it is unplugged and note it in my account.
New Poster

I have been fighting same battle with insane overage. Not sure if anyone has heard this one yet....In December with December 12 billing date my statement showed $90 overage for NOVEMBER 1-30. I pulled and printed every bill from entire year and then every email from comcast regarding data usage and saw according to them and their emails i was using the 1024gb from 1-28th. (So extra 400gb i was charged for would have been used only in the last two days of the month.) I used online chat and before I explained anything to them they told me i used something like 1034 in sept, 1324 in Oct and 1077 in nov. I then explained that if I used 1077 in November I only went over less than 100gb not 350-400gb that I was charged for and only owed $20 extra not $90....READY FOR IT!!!! He then backtracked and said the "yes but you used 1324 in October" What??? I am now being told the bill I have that says
Additional useage Nov 1-30 $10/50gb = $90 is for October additional useage?????? Not November?? I demanded that i could not be billed specifically for one thing and then after proving the charges were impossible get told the charge is for something totally diffrent. I have called and called and talked to data dept, billing dept, supervisors. i filed FCC complaint prior to their new claim it was Oct usage that didnt show up till dec.
Of course I get told their dept doesn't handle this part or that part. They are very good at the scam they r running. But I took screen shots of all online conversations and am going to file for arbitration. I was even apologize to for "being confused" when I backed them into a corner and they had no more answers.when I spoke with data dept (who told me up front they could not handle any billing only data usage questions) i demanded answers they put me on hold to review the account and never came back! Even the billing supervisor ran out of excuses and told me data dept would have to explain why i was BILLED for Oct in december according to them. Remember data doesn't handle billing!!! I have put hours into researching my bill, data usage claim, and every email they sent and now I just have to keep fighting. I love in a county where every child gets free lunch so am a part of the internet essential program and should only pay 120 a year, in 2016 I am over $500!?!?!
Official Employee
Moved:

New Poster

We are having the exact same problems. We are supposedly using over a terabyte every month. Have many frustrating hours online and on the phone with the same responses. None of there suggestions help. Have seen what Comcast says you have to do to use a terry byte of data and it seems impossible to get there but we do every month. At 400gig and it is only 11th of the month.
New Poster

I have a same problem and no one is willing to help in 30 days my household used 1190GB of data with just coppol things connected when for the time period when I started using xfinity it hasn't been more then 500 GB and your business plan costs 50$ more you guys are not helping at all it showed me I used 25 GB in one day when I was literally sleeping and everyone in my household too
Frequent Visitor

My data usage dropped back to normal after I disabled the xfinity WiFi and setup my router to allow only authorized devices in addition to password access
New Poster

While i see this post was from 2015, things haven't changed.  I just experienced something similar with the revised 1TB limit, I was suddenly notified that I was approaching the 1 TB Data Usage limit. I too had no idea there was a limit to my comcast triple play.   I spent 3 hours on the phone with various comcast departments and was finally hung up on, I don't blame Lee for hanging up since by that time was a extremly frustated. 

Here is what I learned:

Comcast's own employee's don't understand the technical aspects of the Data Usage Policy: They are well versed in when the policy changed in 2016 but not much else.

What you should know and what Lee with the Customer Data Security team relayed.... Your Data limit includes Xfinity streaming from your mobile phone, network streaming from your xfinity set top boxes as well as your internet usage from your PC, Tablet and Mobile devices connected to your network.

What Comcast doesn't know.... how your data limit is reached!!!!  - Example my network router shows my network consumption at 550 Gig for the month of December but Comcast is reporting my network consumption at 960 Gig... That's a huge difference. So as a consumer I want to understand what I can do to control my usage. I did upload alot of photo's to amazon prime so wanted to understand if upload and download contributed to the limit, I got many different answers but finally Lee convinced me both upload and download were included. Okay that still doesn't explain the difference I see from my Router versus comcast reporting. So I asked 3 of the people I talked too, Lee, David and another David to provide more detail on the 960 Gig consumption so I can determine what I'm using... "We can't provide that, we don't have that data" you just need to you the comcast account page to see your data usage. I responded that it was hard to believe, surely comcast has more data that can help me identify my data usage.  I mean my cell phone bill breaks down my minutes by line and phone call?  and data by device?  surely comcast should be able to provide something?    The answer repeatedly was NO, Comcast can't provide any more detail for my data consumption? how can I be billed for something they can't provide details on?  Meanwhile I've validated that no one is using the xfinity mobile apps, and we are no longer going to use streaming from the xfinity set top boxes. So that I can use my router report to challenge any overage bill I recieve in the future.

ASK: Comcast: Provide more details on Data Usage or you will continue to lose customers!!!!

New Poster

We've been having the same problem with ridiculously high recorded data usage for about a month now. We noticed at the end of January when Xfinity sent us an email that we were about to exceed the 1T limit. From our past several months, we had been recorded as using 600 GB per month, and we're not doing anything different. If anything, we're doing less, because we banned use of electronic by our son on weekdays. We've tried contacting every department at Xfinity, and they were unhelpful. Some of them also lied to us. I'm monitoring who's on the network, and most of the time it's only me or my husband on our laptops sending emails and surfing the net--no Youtube or video streaming. We also downloaded Networx, which shows data sage from our laptops at KBs per hour--nothing close to what Xfinity's meter is registering. We also changed the password to our modem and wifi networks.

Has anyone tried dropping Xfinity service for a while, then going back on a new account sometime in the future? I'm at wit's end, and we don't have AT&T fiber in our neighborhood yet. My 12-month contract ends in March, so I'm wondering if I should switch to AT&T for now, even though it's much slower. I would do that if I knew that a new account at Xfinity wouldn't have the same problem.

Frequent Visitor

I am seeing a similar issue. We switched from TV, Internet, Voice to just Internet and Voice over a month ago. I use the Xfinity Data Estimation Tool to estimate what our monthly data useage would be and it came to about 502Gb/month and that was me being very agrressive in useage. There are only two people in the house. As of today, the Data useage shows 821Gb in 20 days, or, 41Gb/day! 

I have alredy done the standard suggestions, ie, changed Wireless PW, check for viruses, etc. Even when we had Triple play, I had checked the Data useage online and it always seemed high averaging about 175Gb/month. So I started using the Time Monitor on the router to keep daily and weekly (now monthly) logs and as many of you have reported, it isn't even close to what Xfinity is showing, less than half in most cases. This month it stands out even more since we are using more data streaming. Very frustrating and I have only called once so far, then I came here looking for answers.

New Poster

Re: Xfinity refuses to help. Let's chat with each other: contact info below

If my box is still cracked open, all the cables of the neighbors exposed, I'll take a snapshot with my camera. Anyone else with images of neglected Comcast equipment from negligent technical visits: post the shots or email them to me at my address below. I'll have some photos up soonish. 

New Poster

EXPOSED CABLE BOX!

Exposed_BOX.JPGExposed box!

.... Yes, my apologies for posting my email - apparently the admins don't want us to share personal infnyoo and I didn't notice that rule until just now. It's a public forum with private rules, eh. Anyway, there are no rules that I know of barring the posting of photos so anyone who has more photos to share, by all means, share them. In order for us to claim poor service or no service or disservice, we need evidence. This box has been in that same state for, so far as I know, roughly six months. Any one of my neighbors could crack that box open, and you can see someone has tried, then with the right tools, split a coax then hack into someone's network. Again, I told my repair technician when he saw what's above, includig that loose wire and he just shrugged his shoulders and strolled off. 

Everyone ... Take a close look at that photo and you can see how insecure that box is. I couldn't believe it when my technician arrived a few months ago. It appeared as though the lock had been broken off, the metal where the lock goes appeared twisted and that same loose set of wires - all hanging down. 

Expert

Re: Photos for damages

@CipherTight wrote:

Again, I encourage everyone to start collecting evidence. If your cable box has been invaded or the lock cracked, take a snapshot with your camera.

Eh no. That has nothing to do with data usage. It's not how cable works. 

New Poster

Joining this thread that goes back 3 years. It's frustrating to see that there really hasn't been a solution.

I've been going along just fine since I've had xfinity about 2 years. November 2017 is as far back as the data usage meter goes for me, and that was a big month for some reason, about 700gb. Since then, I've averaged between 100 and 400gb per month. All of a sudden, I'm at 1084gb with 5 days left of the month. Since I got the notice on the 23rd, I've somehow burned through about 60gb of data.

I called. Did the whole "change the password and hide the network" thing. I renamed all the devices connected to the network so I know what they are when I look at the router's connected devices (I'm using my own Netgear C3700 gateway as modem/router). I've done SEVEN various virus/malware/etc scans on the two laptops that are in the house:

Norton (that comes with the xfinity account)

Malwarebytes

Spybot Search and Destroy

Windows Defender

Norton Power Eraser

Eset's online scanner

Trojan Remover (as mentioned earlier in this thread)

I've also done an F-secure scan on the router as well as various port scans.

All of these things found nothing.

I've installed Networx on the 2 laptops, and there's nothing out of the ordinary there, and since I've installed it on my laptop on May 24, it hasn't  even used 1gb yet. I only installed it on my wife's laptop yesterday, and the data usage is minimal.

We've been watching stuff on firestick and on our smart tv, which of course would use the internet, but I don't think that would be at the rate of 15gb per day. The firestick has data reporting functionality, which has less than 5 gb used total. I don't know if there's a way to check the data use of the smart tv, which we use for prime video/netflix, I'm still looking into that.

Using WindowsKey+i on the laptops shows "normal" usage as well, nothing that gets anywhere near the usage being reported on the xfinity data meter.

Sure, we have our phones and tablets connected to the wifi when we're home. But if they were the problem, our Verizon data would also be flying away, and it's not. And we don't use the xfinity hot spots.

I know not all virus/malware scanners catch everything. And I know that maybe bots would sit in the background and maybe not be caught by these data analysis programs (or would they?). But the fact that I've done several various tests makes me think it's not on our side.

So, anyone want to take a crack at this one?  :-Þ

Frequent Visitor

Does your router have the capability of restricting access to authorized MAC addresses?  My usage spiked high until I changed out the comcast modem, turned off xfinity access, and restricted access by MAC address.  I have used 83GB this month down from 300+

New Poster

Yep. I turned that on yesterday. We'll see how it goes. It's been looking like 10ish gb per day since last week, which is pretty normal with the amount of online stuff we watch. Still super curious what happened, as 10-15 per day gets us nowhere near 1100gb in 23 days....