Community Forum

Xfinity showing extremely high data usage. Can't get any help from Xfinity

Contributor

Xfinity showing extremely high data usage. Can't get any help from Xfinity

Hello, have had Xfinity for my internet for years. One year ago I bought my own modem. An Arris SB 6141. Everything has been fine until the end of June. I got an email and a recorded call from Xfinity saying I was at 90% of my allowed monthly usage of 300 gb. I didn't even know there was max monthly usage and didn't understand why I was suddenly nearing the max when I wasn't doing anything differently from any time in the past. I called them and they looked at my history and my usage has been about 125 - 150 gb a month in the past up until June.  I have a router, an ooma phone system, a smart tv and a printer connected to my network. I changed my network password and began removing things from my network. No luck. Data usage was going up and would go up sometimes 30 gb at night when i was asleep and even more at times when I was at work. I do not download things or watch streaming movies, netflix etc. I basically websurf and end emails. My data usage went to 300 gb on july 10th.. only 10 days into the new cycle I had used all my data. I called Xfinity several times and got nowhere. Was always told the same thing., change your password, take things off the network etc etc. I was always treated like I knew nothing when in fact I probably knew more than the people I was talking to. Finally out of desperation I unhooked everything completely, the internet coaxial cable coming out of the wall was not connected to anything, just to see what it would do. The next day the internet usage had not gone up any so I figured it must be something on my side. I ran virus checks and finally disconnected my network. All I had was the cable from the wall going to the modem and then to my pc (desktop). The router was disconnected and unplugged. The data usage continued to climb sky high. This told me it's either the modem or my pc. Finally I went to Xfinity and got one of their modems and disconnected mine. At that time my data usage was at 419 gb and it did not move at all the next day, or the next. It did not move for 1 week. One week later it was still at 419.  I contacted Arris and told them evidently I had a bad modem and told them the story. They told me there was no way it could be the modem and it just handled the data going in and coming out but did not use data in anyway. Now I had no idea what to do. Then after 1 week my data usage started to go up with the Xfinity modem just like it had with my modem. It went up sometimes 30 to 40 gb a day. In one 4 hour period it went up 60 gb. I have no idea what to do. It's evidently an xfinity problem but I always get transferred to their data security dept and they have been zero help. I've been told the same thing repeatedly. I've been hung up on. I've been told to call a number and choose certain options which was not valid. I'm now paying an extra $10 for their modem. They give you 3 months of warnings on the data usage without charging you. I've had 2 warnings. My data usage was 697 gb in July and 624 in August. All this for web surfing.  What' strange is sometimes the data usage will stay exactly the same for over 1 day and then suddenly jump up 40 gb. When i switched modems it stayed the same for 1 week. Sometimes when i check my data usage it's actually lower than the previous time I checked.  It may show 300 gb at  3pm and  295 at 10pm.  I dont' get it and I've wasted so much time on this. If they start charging me extra then i'll have to drop xfinity and find someone else. Considering that it still happens when my network is disconnected and that it stopped for a week when i switched modems i'm pretty sure it's an Xfinity problem. I just can't get anybody that is willing to check things out. I'm very frustrated with this and considering contacting the BBB to see if that gets any attention.

Problem Solver

Re: Xfinity showing extremely high data usage. Can't get any help from Xfinity

Do you have a laptop? Maybe disconnect your desktop and connect the laptop to see if there is a change. Smart phones on your network? Just a few ideas.

New Poster

Mine is doing the same thing as indicated. It started going up last month I shut down everthing and it almost hit 300. I have NEVER used that much data before. The usage was reset for the new month yesterday. According to Comcast i used 48 GB in one day. THAT IS IMPOSSIBLE!

New Poster

I am having the SAME problem.  In June my usage was 229, in July it went to 315 and August it was at 400!  Nothing has changed in the way we use the Internet!  Xfinity has given me the same spiel about changing my password or removing things from the network.  They don't seem to have an answer or be able to help me.  Obviously if I'm not the only one having this problem, they need to look at the possibility that the error may be their issue.  If we go over this month, I will be charged and may need to consider leaving Xfinity too.  

Contributor

Went to bed at 11:45pm last night with data usage showing 0. (had reset for the new month)

This morning at 8:30 it's showing 37 gb.  37gb in 8 hours while I slept.  What's going on?

Official Employee

Hello jckrell,

I apologize for any inconvenience this issue has caused you. I would recommend contacting the  Customer Security Assurance (CSA) department at 1-877-807-6581 regarding data usage issues.       

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

That is who I have contacted repeatedly. I usually get someone with a foreign accent who suggests the very same thing everytime I call. It's evident their training is lacking. Finally they usually try to transfer me off to someone else because they don't know and say that i've tried everything they know. 

So what else???  My 3 warnings run out this month. It seems nobody i've spoken with at Xfinity is capable of solving this and there seems to be no way to escalate it up to someone who can. Usually i'm told.............just like you did.......to contact some dept. I contact that dept and they are clueless and they tell me to contact another dept. The main dept i've dealt with is the one you gave me. Probably talked to them 10 times.    Next suggestion? 

You want to charge more money when someone goes over a certain amount of data and I know i'm not using that much data and when I say that it's not correct it seems Xfinity has no way to handle it, to investigate it.. Just to charge  more money for it. 

Official Employee

Hello jckrell,

I understand your concern however CSA is the only department that handles data issues. Another suggestion may be to call Customer Care and ask about switching to a Business service account since the internet is unlimited.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

Hmm, so this would be at the same cost correct? I certainly shouldn't be asked to pay more for a service when the reason I would be switching was not my fault and I couldn't get anyone at Comcast to find out what was going on. 

Official Employee

Hello jckrell,

I would contact Customer Care to get all the information regarding Business accounts.

Contributor

No do not have a laptop. Do have a smart phone but have been monitoring closely what is connecting to my network and so I know that's not the problem. Besides it goes up sometimes 40 gb while i'm at work. I do have an ooma phone system but disconnected it and it still went up.

New Poster

Hi,

I'm apparently experiencing the same type problem during this last month. We started August with about 9GB of use on the first day. The other day we had about a 40GB day. And for the first time in August we exceeded the 300GB/month. For the last couple weeks, whenever I try to access the Xfinity Data Usage webpage, I get a sorry, the usage meter is unavailable at this time message.

New Poster

Well I spent at least 4 hours yesterday and then an hour today talking to Billing, Tech Support and today Customer Security Assurance. NONE could tell me anything, provide any help, or offered any soloution to the problem. The lady at CSA indicatd she would turn it over to her supervisor and her supervisor would get back to me. I have see numerous comments from others in these forums of the same type, and ALL indicate they never hear anything back. My data reset two days ago (Monday) and it is now at 78GB. Even the person at CSA indicated that seems very high. There is only two people in this house. My wife was gone all day yesterday and did not even turn on her computer. Nothing was down loaded or no movies streamed. My lap top was on, but I only used my browser (nothing downloaded) and the Data usage went up 30GB. That equal to streaming about 6 or 7 full movies. That is not even reasonable!! Anyone would know this is not correct!! I really dont know what to do about this but I am going to sart by calling the news stations. They will be interested in a story where a company as big as comcast is stealing from their customers! 

New Poster

You are not alone.  I have been dealing with the same issue since May.  We have now exceeded the 3 month trail and are being charged when I know we are not using data.  My entire household has been under arrest from internet usage with us trying to get to the bottom of this issue with no assistance and my husband works for the company.  I'm so frustrated at this point that I don't know what to do.  The only thing that has changed since May is the launch of the Xfinity home wifi hot spots.  I have turned that off on my account but the data is still rapidly climbing. 

I don't have an issue paying for data that I use, however I'm extremely frustrated that I'm being charged with no recorse to stop the charges or options to limit how much data we use per day.  Our home data usage meters reports 100 gb less that Comcast every month.  At this point we have the main computer, 2 laptops (1 of which is rarely on), and an Ipad connected.  My kids are not allowed to hook in video games and I'm changing the password weekly with no relief.  We do not do Netflix and aren't streaming anything outside of Youtube, searching the web, and reading email.  This is crazy and I want someone from Comcast to be accountable. 

Problem Solver

NewNet wrote:

You are not alone.  I have been dealing with the same issue since May.  We have now exceeded the 3 month trail and are being charged when I know we are not using data.  My entire household has been under arrest from internet usage with us trying to get to the bottom of this issue with no assistance and my husband works for the company.  I'm so frustrated at this point that I don't know what to do.  The only thing that has changed since May is the launch of the Xfinity home wifi hot spots.  I have turned that off on my account but the data is still rapidly climbing. 

I don't have an issue paying for data that I use, however I'm extremely frustrated that I'm being charged with no recorse to stop the charges or options to limit how much data we use per day.  Our home data usage meters reports 100 gb less that Comcast every month.  At this point we have the main computer, 2 laptops (1 of which is rarely on), and an Ipad connected.  My kids are not allowed to hook in video games and I'm changing the password weekly with no relief.  We do not do Netflix and aren't streaming anything outside of Youtube, searching the web, and reading email.  This is crazy and I want someone from Comcast to be accountable. 

Try this IF POSSIBLE. Try to shut down your wifi including your desktop so there is no data whatsoever is used. Take a reading before and after the day is up. You would than be sure it's not a virus sucking up your data and that Comcast is dead wrong. Just an idea. May not be a good one but maybe?

Contributor

What i've noticed with my posts is that i'm getting the same type of results that I do when calling. I've been told to call another dept. and i've been told to consider getting a different (higher priced) service. Nowhere do I see someone telling me that they will report it to ............... and have someone look into it or launch an investigation as to what is happening. The truth is you only have the data security dept and when their suggestions doesn't solve the problem you apparently have nothing else that you can do. In the meantime you inform me that you will be charging me more since my data usage will exceed the limit.  It would seem you are opening yourself up for a class action lawsuit to simply charge extra for a problem that is apparently happening to many and that appears to be an Xfinity problem. What dept is there to look into this type of thing?????

Problem Solver

You do realize a useless class action lawsuit will go nowhere i that you signed a terms and conditions prohibiting such actions but go ahead and throw your money away. Good luck.
Contributor

Signed terms and conditions that Xfinity could claim that I was using data that I wasn't using and charge for whatever they decide to say that i'm using? All they need to say is our data meter shows it and that's all the proof they need when there are many people disputing it? Xfinity charges me an extra $100 a month of internet usage and I just have to say, oh well, I have signed some papers that allows them to do whatever they want".  I think not. Go back to law school. If everybody thought like you any company could screw over anybody and there would be nothing that anybody could do about it. 

Problem Solver

Go ahead and throw your money away. Good luck. Go back and read it. You would be better off instead of this silliness to report to the FCC and BBB.
Highlighted
Official Employee

Dear jckrell,

I apologize for the delayed response. I have sent you a private message to further assist you.  You can click on my name (Comcastcares) and click on "Private Message Me”. 

At the top of each Forum page you will see a small envelope.  This is the icon for Private Messages, referred to as ‘PM’s’.   A Private Message is a way to communicate in private, to another User, Moderator, or Administrator out of public view in the Forums.

The envelope icon will have a number next to it if you have any new messages waiting.  

To open a PM, double click on the envelope. If you click on the envelope a window will open with tabs for your Private Message Inbox, Sent Messages, Friends, Ignored Users, and Compose new Message. You can also access this area by clicking on the Username in a Thread or post. By default, Private Messages are enabled. You can disable this feature in My Settings>Preferences> Private Messenger.

Frequent Visitor

We have always been 150-175GB a month but now it's like 219 and going up

THEY ARE DOING THIS SO THEY CAN CHARGE EITHER THE EXTRA $10 PER 50GB OR HAVE YOU PAY ADDITIONAL $30 A MONTH

IF YOU PAY THE $30 A MONTH EXTRA FOR "UNLIMITED" THEN WATCH, YOUR DATA WILL GO DOWN

THEY ARE SCREWING EVERYONE

AND PEOPLE ARE L IKE A HERD OF SHEEP. JUST GO ALONG WITH IT

Problem Solver

First of all stop yelling (all caps) and second of all if you are that wound up about it then file a complaint with the FTC and BBB.

Frequent Visitor

i got a 90% warning for Sept last night....i don't even think it is physically possible to burn through almost 300 GB in 4 days.   I have a computer with 150 GB of files that have been backed up but those files would have had to been backed up, uncompressed twice.   We don't even watch netflix, etal during the week...

I was told to update anti-virus and change wireless password - guess next i will be told to reboot computer.  Have been a comcast customer (and time warner prior) for over 15 years and always supported them.  This may be the end...

Frequent Visitor

would standard antivirus software catch a data hogging virus?  I have standard type virsus and have run scans but found nothing

Frequent Visitor

this is priceless - an outage of internet has been reported in my area and yet my usage continues to move up....

Contributor

Memphisdata, i'm in the same area as you. Wondering how many others are having this problem in this area?

Contributor

Guys, to repeat you are not alone.  I just switched the family to Comcast for the higher speeds.  I went through their calculations to verify we would be okay with 300GB/month.  We'd be fine.

Last month - we "used" 750GB of data.  Okay, time to pay attention.  I upgraded my wireless router to something that included statistics.  My network looks like this:

wall -> modem -> router

it isn't rocket science, but I have kids in the house that like to Skype, we do use Netflix, etc.  so maybe we did use that much data.  My wireless is secure, so per the suggestion of a borderline helpful tech, I did the one thing that might be useful - I changed the wireless encryption key.  I was skeptical, but narrow your possibilities.

September - it's the 8th.  I'm at 350GB of usage.  It has gone up 120GB in one day.  One day people.  My router says 9.1GB since 730AM Monday morning.

I have a working case number, and I'll be calling support back later today.  I'll update this post.  Just so you know, I've been doing networks for 30 years - there is no doubt where the problem is - Comcast

C. Gilley

Frequent Visitor

the short answer for me:  i have a lot of issues going on but believe a virus might have been a good deal of it (much to my surprise)

The long answer is - I believe Comcast usage is overstated but here is what I have so far: 

1) I am willing to accept that we go over 300 GB in a month ONLY when all three of my kids are home (one is in college, and one just got married,  the one at home is a sr in HS and does not have time to stream 300 G.  my setup is the same - wall/modem/router (note - my comcast modem is a modem/router but more on that below as I believe that could be some of the issue)

2) we went over 300 GB on thur sep 4 for sep!  Tried to get some color from comcast on whether it was upload or download.  Finally got a supervisor (see below) and it was esculated into a ticket - was told it would take a few days to let me know the breakdown.

3) i narrowed the issue to my wife's Mac Desktop as I changed all wireless passwords and limited access machine/phone by machine/phone.  I tried to download comcast's usage meter - the newest release has a bug and i could not get any of the free usage meters to work. I recently added Carbonite (online backup) but backed up "only" 150 GB of data - mostly in August so do not beleive that was it.  FINALLY i found the built in activity meter on her computer (if you have a mac, open the finder and search for "activty meter" and click on the network tab at the bottom.  It will show data transmitted since last boot - I believe a PC has the same in the control panel).  It showed I had sent out 40 GB of data in the 3o to 45 mins since plugging her computer back into the modem 

4) i did a virus scan and found a Trojan/Upatre-np on her computer (I am a PC person and thought apple's never had virus's - but i digress).  I removed the virus

5) over the next several hours, I allowed my wife to do normal computer activity (check email and she is a seller on ebay so had to get caught up).  I ended the night having sent around 6 GB of data - which sounds high but is at least manageable for now - guess i went from nightmare to bad dream

In addition to looking for a virus- here are some other things that might help

when i called comcast, i got the call center that was clearly overseas.  when i pressed for a supervisor, i got someone in the US that at least sounded more knowledgeable.

I was told that data that goes through your xfinity hotspot counts against your 300 GB.  THAT IS NOT RIGHT, in my opinion.  Let me explain.  if you use a newer comcast cable modem, it comes with a router.  This router will establish a secure SSID and an open SSID called xfinitywireless (or something like that).   You can use the secure SSID instead of a router (however, due to the location in my house, i have another router plugged into the modem and it is located in a position closer to my TVs - therefore my configuration is like cgilley) but ANYONE with an xfinity account can log into your router/modem to access the internet.  The upside is that when friends with xfinity come over, they can access the internet at your house without you having to share the password.  The downside is that anyone with an xfinity logon can access the internet through your router - and the data usage counts against you.  The xfinitywireless signal is not that strong but if you live in an area where the houses are close together, theoretically, this could cause an issue.  If you sign into your xfinity account, you can turn off the access to the internet via this signal on your router - not saying it is an issue, but it is worth trying.

Sorry to be long winded but spent better part of my Labor Day holiday figuring all this out.  Really don't want to switch to DSL but was very frustrating.

My bottom line is this:

I have a hard time believing we use as much data as we do - i guess when we are all streaming on different machines we could get to 300 GB, but that is a lot of movies/TV shows.  I may have to invest in an internet usage monitor that will give me detail on our usage - any suggestions?

I found it hard to believe it could be a virus (typical IT response is often - have you rebooted your computer? I put scanning for a virus and changing passwords in that category of IT help that make me mad) - BUT in this case, that looks like it was the right advice

Hope you made it throught my post and that it helps...

Contributor

You've got me beat on the data usage mine is sitting at about 130 gb as of Sept 8th but mine is a more simple set up, also i'm the only one using it. I've simplified it to the point of the cable coming in from the wall goes to the modem and out of the modem to the computer. No network at all and as simple as I can get it and yet it still goes up incredibly fast. It's Sept 8th and i'm at 130 gb which is the lowest it's been at this time of the month for several months. Still i've reached the amount of data I used to use in one month, in 8 days.  

The first thing I did  when I found out about the high data usage was change my network password and check for viruses. I have ran 7 or 8 different virus checkers and nothing has ever been detected. I'm currently using comcasts modem and as I mentioned in my original post, the day I switched to the comcast modem my data stopped going up. It stayed at 419 gb for seven straight days and once again I was not doing anything any different. Then suddenly it took off again. My problem is not a virus or is it somebody using my internet. 

Frequent Visitor

For those following my issues, here is an update...

The good news is that I am no longer "using" 40 GB an hour and i do believe a large part of that was a virus (see a previous post in this thread).  however, i used 10+ GB yesterday with no streaming and only minor web serving and email checking.  Since the only application I had running on my wife's iMac was outlook, I shut it down and my usage plumented  from over a GB an hour or so to less than 7 MB an hour.

Googling "Outlook for Mac Data usage" shows that there have been some cases where outlook (on both Mac and PCs) causes an issue.  From best I can tell, it can be due to many reasons.  Interestingly enough, one of the data usage issues occurs due to outlook trying to sync deleted accounts - this is interesting because a couple of days ago, my wife just remarked that she had almost 5,000 emails in her delete box.  So, guess i will try emptying the delete folder in her outlook and then seeing if outlook data usage drops.

I am not saying any of this makes sense, but if i shut down outlook and data usage drops, then so be it.  That is where my focus will be for now. 

I can live with 7 MB an hour with no activity - or minimal email usage - but it still adds up to over 5 GB a month.  On a 300 GB a month plan that is ok for broadband but on a mobile plan, that can be a lot.  

So my message is that unfortunately you are on your own as there are various reasons for unusual data usage - just keep eliminating what you can - and no one at comcast, apple or microsoft will really be much help.  

I will let you know tomorrow if emptying the delete folder allows me to leave outlook running without high data usage.....

Gold Problem Solver

memphisdata wrote: ... The downside is that anyone with an xfinity logon can access the internet through your router - and the data usage counts against you. ...

Comcast says XfinityWifi usage counts against the logged in user's account, not the account of the customer providing the signal (unless you log in to your own XfinityWifi -- but why would you?). See https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/xfinity-wifi-hotspots/ :

Will the homeowner be accountable for visitors’ activities and data usage on the wireless gateway?
No. The activities and usage of visiting users are tied back to the visitors’ accounts, not the homeowner’s. Homeowner’s activities and usage on the Home Hotspot are tied to the homeowner’s account.
Frequent Visitor

Thanks - that makes more sense and was my understanding.  However, I was told differently a couple of times over the past week.  

ultimately, i believe my issues were virus and outlook related...we will see

Gold Problem Solver

memphisdata wrote: ... I was told differently a couple of times over the past week.  ...

Sometimes I wonder if Comcast has a policy that prevents a rep from giving the same answer as a previous rep, or as one of their web pages. Otherwise, how could they provide such consistently inconsistent answers?

Good luck with your Internet usage.

Contributor

memphis - are you able to track the data moving through your router?  Or anyone else for that matter?

I have 1 connection going into the router, and all other connections feed from the router. My router counts everything.  I moved 6 GB since yesterday morning at 730.  Comcast says 76GB.

I'm not buying it.

Contributor

Unfortunately my router doesn't give that info. I wish it did.

New Poster

Same issue here in South Florida. For all the months that you can currently view, it cruised along at 180-250 gb. 

Suddenly in August my usage was alledgedly 997GB.

As somebody said earlier (in red) this is a total rip-off.

We have choices...

Official Employee

Hello SoFlorida1

I apologize for the delayed response. I have sent you a private message to further assist you.  You can click on my name (Comcastcares) and click on "Private Message Me”. 

At the top of each Forum page you will see a small envelope.  This is the icon for Private Messages, referred to as ‘PM’s’.   A Private Message is a way to communicate in private, to another User, Moderator, or Administrator out of public view in the Forums.

The envelope icon will have a number next to it if you have any new messages waiting.  

To open a PM, double click on the envelope. If you click on the envelope a window will open with tabs for your Private Message Inbox, Sent Messages, Friends, Ignored Users, and Compose new Message. You can also access this area by clicking on the Username in a Thread or post. By default, Private Messages are enabled. You can disable this feature in My Settings>Preferences> Private Messenger.

Contributor

Ok, so an update. My data usage continues to be way too high. Somebody from this forum evidently contacted somebody at comcast about the issue. I received a call from comcast that I unfortunately missed. They left a message. "Call me at this number and this is my direct extention". Wow, finally some help. I called them back and got their voice mail. I told them not to call my home number because I would be at work. I gave my cell number. The same person from comcast continued to call my home in spite of my message. He would call daily to my house and so I tried to reach him again with no luck. Once again I left him a message to please call my cell phone. He continued to call my home and fortunately on Monday i was at home when he called. He then stated that he understood that I was having some problems with high data usage. Then he said,  have you tried changing your network password............................I knew then that this call was going to go like all the others. I told him that was the first thing I did. I went thru the entire story of telling him how I had disconnected things one at a time and finally disconnected my entire network.  His reply was  "Ok, well i'll have to check into it but it sounds like a network problem to me"  I told him again that it was most definitely not a  problem with my network because it had been completely disconnected and unplugged and yet the high data usage continued. He then repeated that he'd have to check into it. It was evident he was just trying to get off the phone because he had no clue. Of course I never heard back from him. This is typical of my previous 10 calls. It's evident that comcast has decided to start charging for data usage over 300 gb but when there is a situation like mine they have no procedure in place to be able to check it.  I feel my only resort is to stat filing complaints. I've gotten nowhere with comcast.

Gold Problem Solver

Contributor

bruce - how is the malware scanner relevent to this discussion?  I suppose some people may be having that issue but the previous poster turned off his network and the usage still went up.  If the network is off, even malware cannot communicate.

Further, my router tells a similar story.  It's been on for 4 days, I reset the counters.  According to the data it's gathering, I've got traffic arounf 15GB.  According to comcast, I've used almost 100GB.  And, yes, I changed my password.

I wish Comcast would realize that some of their customers are technically competent.  Their support people should also know this.  I'm ready to help Comcast measure accurately.  It's not hard.

Gold Problem Solver

cgilley wrote:bruce - how is themalware scannerrelevent to this discussion? ...

My impression is that those programs are not so much malware scanners as traffic analysers, but I could be mistaken. There's not a lot of information on them. Either way they might help to explain the discrepancy in usage measurement between Comcast's meter and a customer's router. Maybe. Possibly.

Contributor

Okay, now I follow the logic (I did not click on the link, just inferred from the link content).

FWIW, I've continued to monitor my router.  Yesterday, I learned that "statistics are not that accurate" for my router.  This was an off hand comment by someone on the router's support board.  I've asked him to clarify his statement and support his conclusions.  With that said, i located a tool that monitors all of my traffic off any of the devices in use.  So far, my laptop tracks 1:1 with this utility and the router.  So, once I'm convinced my router is good, I can go to war with comcast.

Last night, my usage jumped 43GB.  Right.

Interestingly, I just read a report that chromebooks (I have one in the house), will use much more network due to their design.  I'll be watching that puppy.

Contributor

If anyone cares, this is the tool I'm using to track individual network usage: networx

Official Employee

Hi Jckrell,

I apologize for the delayed response. I have sent you a private message to further assist you.  You can click on my name (Comcastcares) and click on "Private Message Me”. At the top of each Forum page you will see a small envelope.  This is the icon for Private Messages, referred to as ‘PM’s’.   A Private Message is a way to communicate in private, to another User, Moderator, or Administrator out of public view in the Forums.The envelope icon will have a number next to it if you have any new messages waiting.  To open a PM, double click on the envelope. If you click on the envelope a window will open with tabs for your Private Message Inbox, Sent Messages, Friends, Ignored Users, and Compose new Message. You can also access this area by clicking on the Username in a Thread or post. By default, Private Messages are enabled. You can disable this feature in My Settings>Preferences> Private Messenger.

Frequent Visitor

Here is where I stand...I have data usage down to a manageable level - well under 1 GB a day with no streaming, normal web surfing and normal email usage.   Although I am not yet ready to leave Outlook up and running on my wife's iMac, I did so for most of Sunday without a spike in activity.  Prior to doing so, I permantly removed over 60,000 emails from her delete folder.  If you have been following my issue, you will note that - as weird as it might sound - i had narrrowed my data usage down to my wife's iMac when outlook was left open.  As to why she had that many emails in her delete folder - first, she had not deleted emails for a year or so, putting the number at 16,000.   Recently, I had rebuilt her outlook identity so best I can figure, it used an older identity that had a number of emails in the delete folder.  Many of the deleted files had large files attached (due to her job) so best I can figure the number just built on itself.  As such, some sort of syncing of the 60,000 files with her comcast account and a gmail account she used for work caused the spike in data usage.  Again - I am not saying it makes total sense but the IMAP nature of the gmail account may have had something to do with it.  All I do know is what computer and what program caused the spike and I tried to come up with an explanation.  Given it sounds a bit crazy, I have still not left Outlook up and running without being able to check it.

I have also shut off the xfinity hotspot (I know its not supposed to count against my data, but don't trust it), found a trojan on my wife's computer (yes iMacs get infected) that looked like it was sending massive amounts of data and changed all my passwords.

Given Comcast has really been ZERO help, I do not want to defend them.  But I would encourage you to go back through all your computers and assume it is on your end.  So far (and I hope I do not jinx it), it looks like most of my issues were on my end.  I will say that their data meter does not work (the recent update cannot be downloaded) and so I partially blame them for not allowing me to catch the issue until I was already at the 90% of the cap - I have now updated my alerts to start at 50% so we will see what happens in October (given we typically use close to 200 GB under normal streaming, I had set the first warning at 90%).  Had their meter been working, I might have started looking at issues sooner and been able to resolve it without going over.....

Contributor

Memphis - I too will go on the record - I really do hope it's on my end.  But Comcast technical support is worthless.  Given the number of their customers and the number of complaints, I would have hoped for a goto list of ideas.  So far, just a waste of oxygen.  That said, I have a "secret weapon" - it will tell me definitively if Comcast #s make sense.

Contributor

Just to update my situation with Xfinity and the high data usage they were reporting. About 3 weeks ago my usage returned to normal. Today is Oct. 9th and my usage is 56 gig. For 3 months I was using (or comcast said I was) sometimes 70 gig in one day, 30 gig from the time I went to bed at night until the next morning, thirty gig when I was at work all day. I tried everything I could to stop the data usage in case I was really using that much data. Finally I disconnected my network and  had the internet coming straight from the wall to my modem and then to my computer. Still, nothing changed my data usage continued to be very high. I swapped modems and started using an Xfinity modem. My data usage showed absolutely no usage for 7 days when I made the change even though I was using the computer exactly the same as I had been. This told me there must be something wrong with Xfinity's calculation of my usage. I made many calls to Xfinity which was always a complete joke and a total waste of time. It was evident they had no answer other than to keep saying it had to be something I was doing. I repeatedly told them that I only use my computer to web surf and email and my data usage was normally about 150 - 175 gb a month and suddenly it had jumped up to 600 - 700 gb a month and I was not doing anything any different. Xfinity made the decision to start charging for excessive data usage but they had nothing in place to investigate situations like mine. All you got when you called was usually someone in another country that has a list of things to ask/suggest and if none of that was the cause of the problem they had no idea what to do. After posting my problem on this site, it was evidently turned over to the dept that they have for this and I received calls from them. Of course, i'd already talked to that dept at least 15 times with no luck and of course I had the same results when they called me, they were clueless.  The last time I was called, the person had read all the posts and suggested two things  1) For me to contact the computer maker of my computer and ask if there was any known problem like this with high data usage. Of course that was absolutely ridiculous. I had had the computer over 1 year and everything was fine until the last few months. The computer maker would have no idea what i've installed on my computer or how much data I use. If I had of wasted my time calling Dell they would have probably just laughed at me.  2)Xfinity's second suggestion was for me to contact Microsoft and ask them if they knew of any issues.  That's it... that's what I got for help from Xfinitity. I was prepared to cancel my xfinity account because with the data usage they were saying I was using would have caused my bill to be outrageous. Then........the usage suddenly went back to normal.  I made no changes, removed no viruses.. nothing.. it just went back to normal which makes me believe even more that the data usage they were reporting was very inaccurate during the period they were claiming high usage. It has been normal  for 3 weeks now and hopefully it will stay that way. Still, the support I received from Xfinity was horrible. Please if you are going to start charging people for the amount of data they use then have somebody that can investigate cases like mine. I had received really bad customer service when I had cable tv problems but this was at a new level of bad.

Expert
Moved:

Expert

jckrell wrote:

Just to update my situation with Xfinity and the high data usage they were reporting. About 3 weeks ago my usage returned to normal. Today is Oct. 9th and my usage is 56 gig. For 3 months I was using (or comcast said I was) sometimes 70 gig in one day, 30 gig from the time I went to bed at night until the next morning, thirty gig when I was at work all day. I tried everything I could to stop the data usage in case I was really using that much data. Finally I disconnected my network and  had the internet coming straight from the wall to my modem and then to my computer. Still, nothing changed my data usage continued to be very high. I swapped modems and started using an Xfinity modem. My data usage showed absolutely no usage for 7 days when I made the change even though I was using the computer exactly the same as I had been. This told me there must be something wrong with Xfinity's calculation of my usage. 

<snipped>

Have you run any malware programs?  Have you been able to intiate any traffic capturing programs?  Any  home computer can be compromised and be used in any number of activites by hackers.  Especially DDOS which would generate tons of requests depending on the coding of the hack or of the type of hack itself.

Just something else to think of....

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers,the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing.  Please ensure your post is in the correct Forum to begin with.  Please do not send me Private Messages for personal help but instead use the Forums to allow everyone to read and offer comments to assist you.  Comcast employees are identified with RED lettered User Names.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

Ran many malware programs, malwarebytes, superantispyware, spybot search and destroy.

Totally disconnected the computer from my network and only had the connection to the modem and computer. Asked Xfinity many times about any software they had or even that I could purchase that might help determine where the usage they were claiming was happening. Xfinity couldn't help.