Community Forum

Xfinity Self Install Possible with DirecTV?

New Poster

Xfinity Self Install Possible with DirecTV?

Hello. I just received my Xfinity self install kit for my internet. I am switching from ATT internet. However, I still have DirecTV. Can I hook up my internet myself as ATT internet does not use coax cables and the coax cables currently coming from the walls are going to the DirecTV boxes so I am assuming they are coming from the DirecTV satalite? Am I able to do this or do I need a tech to come out? Please help. Thank you.

WPBDIYGuy

Expert

Re: Xfinity Self Install Possible with DirecTV?

Typically DirectTV will disconnect your Comcast service at the side of your house, but not always. No harm in hooking up your modem and seeing if it works. Most likely though, you'll need a tech to get it installed properly.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Problem Solver

Hello WPBDIYGuy,

I can corroborate what nerdburg has said. To add, most houses usually only have one wired connection into their home. I would suggest putting a splitter at the connection from the wall and try to plug in your modem, although this probably will not work. If you cannot get it to work, I will schedule you an installation and wave the associated fee. Please reach back out as soon as you have a chance to test.

New Poster

Hi CCCurtiss,

I am having the exact same issue as mentioned above. I currently have DirecTV at my house which is using the only wired coax connection in the house. I think when the folks from Xfinity originally came by my house they saw a previously used ATT line outside and thought it was still active inside. I went ahead and tried adding a splitter to test it out like you suggested to WPBDIYGuy and just as you predicted that did not work. I'm not really sure where to go from here to get the Xfinity internet set up other than having a technician come out to the house.
Official Employee

Good evening jaredpbooth, I would like to assist you from here. Can you verify your account information with me? I would need your account number, full name, and service address. You can private message me by clicking my name and clicking private message. Thank you

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Hey there! I'm having the exact same issue. Already had directTV and now adding xfinity internet. Tried using a splitter but it doesn't work. Did you find a solution or have to call a tech out?
New Poster

I am having same issue, and have already spent HOURS attempting to activate a modem/router identified as being compatible with service plan, buying it, trying all sorts of troubleshooting suggestions, and while on phone finally with help tech, the call was dropped and no return call attempted or text message received. I am so fustrated!!!!!!! And the first avail service call appointment isn't until Oct 14, a week from now. Can't wait that long.
New Poster

Im having the same issue. We were not made aware that if we have another service that we cannot use comcast service. That is a major letdown. I would not have bought service if I knew I had to go through so much to get service activated. This is such an inconvenience to me being that I need this internet for my business. Then on top of all that, I was told that the 5th of December is the soonest someone could come to my house. I already waited 5 days for a product I couldve easily gotten from the store, now you want me to wait an additional 6 days for something that took my money instantly. This is a shame and tbh Comcast isnt making a good impression

New Poster

I have this installation. Had Comcast TV and Internet. Canceled Comcast TV but kept their internet. When DTV came they installed their cable from the satilite dish to their reciver in the house. A complete new cable.

New Poster

I was having this same issue. Resolved it. I had direct TV lines previously ran in my house before I bought it, everything g was still hooked up. I thought I could use the same lines, tried it and it didn't work at first. Had to bypass a four way splitter that went to the satellite dish itself. Split the incoming line(orange for me) to the house hookups and the separately ran direct TV wires throughout the house. Works great now. With that 4 way splitter in and hooked to it, my box would not connect. Hope this helps someone. Time to cancel a technician appointment.