Community Forum

Xfinity Internet Bait and Switch

Regular Visitor

Xfinity Internet Bait and Switch

Beware of Comcast pulling a bait and switch on you when you sign up for Xfinity Internet service.  Comcast representatives (and most likely the Corporation, as well, for fostering their culture of lying and deceptive practices) cannot be trusted.

This is what happened to me:

1. I was at the end of my 1 year contract back in April.  Xfinity was offering their Performance Plus Internet with 60Mbps download for $29.99 for new customers.  I called Comcast to see if they can offer me that deal.  If they can't, I was going to cancel my Xfinity Internet service and go elsewhere.

2. The Comcast representative said that they can give me the deal, and signed me up for a 1 year contract on that plan.  On the phone, I asked repeatedly to confirm that this is for the 60Mbps download plan, right?  The Comcast representative said yes.  So, I agreed to the 1 year contract.

3. 2 months later, I realized that they are only giving me 15Mbps and called to ask them to fix it.  Now, they tell me that it is impossible for me to get the $29.99 60Mbps down package, and the best they can do is to give me a $39.99 60Mbps package, and I have to extent the contract for another year from this point.  They won't let me out of the 1 year contract either without a hefty early termination fee either (though Comcast had lied to get me to sign that contract).

What happened was that the Comcast representative lied and signed me up for their "Performance Starter" plan (which only offers 15Mbps download) instead, at the price of the "Performance Plus" offer.  My mistake was that I trusted Comcast and did not double check the name of the plan before agreeing to sign up.  All I can say is that I was too naive in trusting Comcast to at least not lie to their customers.

What I should have done, and you should too:

1. Cancel Xfinity service as soon as your contract is up, and go away.

If they eventually are willing to give you the new customer deal, you can consider then whether it's worth dealing with all their dishonesty and customer gauging to sign up with them again.

2. If you do sign up, take screen shots of the offer online (from their webpage) with the plan name and the download speed that you are signing up for.  Take a voice recording of the conversation with the Comcast representative so that you have a record of what was actually being promised.  Be sure to tell the Comcast representative that you are recording the conversation for your records.  If they don't give you permission to record the conversation, go to step 1.

3. Be familiar with the names of their plans: Performance Starter, Performance Plus, etc.  The Comcast representative will send you an offer email with the plan name in it (but conveniently for them, not the download speed) in order to get your approval to sign you up.  Make sure that the Comcast representative did not pull a bait and switch on you, i.e. that the plan name in the offer email matches exactly the plan with the specific download speed on the Xfinity webpage (that you took a screen shot of).  If they lied to you and the offer isn't for the plan you asked for, go to step 1.

Comcast is the worst.  I can't believe that after all these years of complaints from customers, they are still pulling these kinds of dishonest, deceptive business practices.  Comcast, shame on you!

Tags (1)
Official Employee

Re: Xfinity Internet Bait and Switch

Hello, 

I would like to look into this for you from here. To protect the privacy of your account, can you provide your full name, street address including city, state, and zip code (and apartment number if one is associated), and the full account number or phone number associated with your services. To send a private message click on my name, then click private message me.