Community Forum

Xfinity Guy Installed A Piece Outside My House

New Poster

Xfinity Guy Installed A Piece Outside My House

This afternoon I heard some tinkereing outside my livingroom. Turn out there was an Xfinity van outside and a guy installing a piece on my cable connection on the exterior of my house. Said it had something to do about the modem and a buffer of some sorts. I have not gotten any message about this installation, but it seemed legit. I'm tempted to remove the piece, unless I get to know more about this. See the attachment for the piece in question.

IMG_20180130_164159.jpg
Official Employee

Re: Xfinity Guy Installed A Piece Outside My House

It’s called a POE or MOCA filter and it’s legit. It keeps your X1 services inside your home and your neighbor’s out. It doesn’t degrade service in any way

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

That's a MOCA filter, you need that so your services work properly.

New Poster

"It doesn't degrade service in any way."

...Then can someone explain why this little thing was causing me to experience pings of close to 1000ms? Or download speeds that would very between 5mbps to 15mbps on my 150mbps service?  Tech removed this piece and suddenly all is well again...

Official Employee

That would’ve been a better question for your tech. Year old thread closed

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!