Community Forum

Xfinity Approved Splitter and Cables

Regular Contributor

Xfinity Approved Splitter and Cables

How do I know what cables and splitters to use these days?  I was going to setup my personal Modem/Router myself and need to get a One into Two Splitter to split from my tv feed.  When I type in Xfinity Approved Cable Splitter this is what I see:   Cable Modem & MOCA Premium Coaxial 2-way Splitter ideal for Bidirectional RG-6 RG-59 Communications

I seem to remember seeing RG-6 on an Xfinity Cable but am not familiar with RG-59?  Xfinity store is far from me but if needed I'll just go there.

Official Employee

Re: Xfinity Approved Splitter and Cables

Hi @BadR7

That's a good question. Although we don't have a specific brand that we use, some of our experts have provided some details on the requirements of the splitter that would be best for our services. You can find this information here, under the "Check the quality/status of all splitters" section. I have also placed it below. Please let me know if you have any other questions after reviewing this link. 

Check the quality/status of all splitters

1500 (4).png

Splitters are a common failure point, make sure they are of good quality and broadband compliant. If they are old, corroded, gold colored or otherwise deficient, they are candidates for replacement. The label should read 5-1000Mhz (or 1Ghz). Typically, there will be one main splitter installed at the location where the main cable line enters the home. One port will feed the cable modem directly and the other port will feed everything else. It's specifically configured in that manner as excessive splitters between the entry point and modem will weaken the signal significantly and may cause a connection failure. Best practice is to have the modem installed on an outlet without any extra splitters. This type of wiring is known as a "home run". 

I hope this helps. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

Yes, that is of big help.  Sorry to get back so late but this is not my primary email.  I ended up finding what I needed but it is always good to hear it from the source.  What about 3.5dB, does this matter?  I bought another one that was 5-2500Mhz, I suspect that will be okay also?  This one does not say anything about "dB"

Onn Coax Splitter

Diamond Problem Solver

You would have to ask the manufacturer what the actual specs are. FWIW, as a tech if I saw that splitter it would get replaced with one like @ComcastChe posted. You should be able to get one at your local service center

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

COAX LINK

This is the one I should have gotten.  Glad you said something, I'll return it!